OK.... what have I bought?

Started by Papyrus, August 09, 2023, 05:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firstone18

I've just converted my old GF Class 47 to coreless, so I can definitely say this chassis will fit a Cl 47 body of GF make. I kept the brass gears as changing to plastic (quieter) was going to cost around £30. I did have a long chat to bob at B R Lines who is very helpful regarding anything Poole made. he can supply spares for most things if you ask him. I have also converted mine to LEDs at both ends so now get white and red showing in the lights. Just need to work out a way to stop the now very bright lights illuminating the cab! :D I fitted a decoder in the space left when the magnet was removed.
Cheers :beers:
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Steven B

Quote from: Papyrus on August 12, 2023, 03:29:44 PMOne thing struck me about the body though - the roof is the same colour as the main part of the body except for a glaring white panel on top. Is this correct?

The lighter grey panel on the roof is correct. When built they were fitted with fibreglass roof panels with the intention that they'd let more light into the engine room. As you say, they soon got mucky with dirt.

Steven B

NinOz

Quote from: Firstone18 on August 12, 2023, 04:20:00 PMI've just converted my old GF Class 47 to coreless,
How does it now run?
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Newportnobby

Quote from: Steven B on August 12, 2023, 08:05:03 PM
Quote from: Papyrus on August 12, 2023, 03:29:44 PMOne thing struck me about the body though - the roof is the same colour as the main part of the body except for a glaring white panel on top. Is this correct?

The lighter grey panel on the roof is correct. When built they were fitted with fibreglass roof panels with the intention that they'd let more light into the engine room. As you say, they soon got mucky with dirt.

Steven B

See the rear two locos in this post.........

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 09, 2023, 09:31:14 PM

Papyrus

Thanks for the replies, people. The white roof makes sense, now. Onward and upward.

Cheers,

Chris

Firstone18

Quote from: NinOz on August 12, 2023, 11:51:08 PM
Quote from: Firstone18 on August 12, 2023, 04:20:00 PMI've just converted my old GF Class 47 to coreless,
How does it now run?
Much better, still a bit noisy as it has all brass gears, but at a show I don't think this will matter. I am hoping to run it on Saturday at the Silver Fox show in Milton Keynes. The LED lights are also showing in the cabs as they are so bright now! I need to invent some sort of shield to prevent this when I get time. :D
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Papyrus

Sorry I haven't answered, Andrew. I've been a bit under the weather for a few days so I haven't even switched my laptop on. Will let you know when the parcel arrives.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations