OK.... what have I bought?

Started by Papyrus, August 09, 2023, 05:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

On the spur of the moment I bid for, and won, on eBay a job lot of 3 diesel chassis, of which this is one:

It runs well, as per the description, but it does tend to fall to bits when you pick it up. Despite this, I'm sure it could be made into a useful loco. Spare bodies can often be picked up for a few quid on eBay - the question is, which one do I want? It is a 'Grafar' loco, according to the stamp on the base, which probably means it is quite old. I checked it against my Class 31 and it is definitely longer than that. Any clues, folks?

Cheers,

Chris

Browning 9mm

class 37, or 47 ?
IIRC at one time that used the same chassis

jpendle

Yep looks like a 37/47 to me as well.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

ntpntpntp

I agree, a 37 or 47.  Would the bogie or bottom tank/batterybox design clarify which?  I'm not an expert on the locos. 

I have a couple of old 47s - the original version with proper brass gears and working lights - @Papyrus  does your chassis have these features? Don't think I can see any lighting diodes or retaining strips for bulbs (see my photo below)

You say it falls apart - do you mean the bogies fall out?  That would imply broken retaining clips which are available from Farish N Spares. They're not expensive.  One of my locos only cost me £8 at a toy fair due to this problem so I designed and 3D printed some new clips (and a retainer for the fuel tank as that was loose) :)

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Train Waiting

Could it perhaps be from an EE 'Type 5' Co-Co (TOPS Cl. 55) - 'Deltic'?

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

37216 Great Eastern

The fuel tank between the bogies indicates a class 47.

Regards Great Eastern

Papyrus

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 09, 2023, 06:05:32 PMI agree, a 37 or 47.  Would the bogie or bottom tank/batterybox design clarify which?  I'm not an expert on the locos. 

I have a couple of old 47s - the original version with proper brass gears and working lights - @Papyrus  does your chassis have these features? Don't think I can see any lighting diodes or retaining strips for bulbs (see my photo below)

You say it falls apart - do you mean the bogies fall out?  That would imply broken retaining clips which are available from Farish N Spares. They're not expensive.  One of my locos only cost me £8 at a toy fair due to this problem so I designed and 3D printed some new clips (and a retainer for the fuel tank as that was loose) :)

Mine has plastic gears and no lights. Does that make it earlier or later than yours?

Yes two of the bogie retaining clips are broken - good to hear that they are still available. The fuel tank is also detached but a dab of glue should solve that. Many thanks for your help (and everybody else). At least I know what body to look out for now.

Cheers,

Chris

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Papyrus on August 09, 2023, 07:34:48 PMMine has plastic gears and no lights. Does that make it earlier or later than yours?
Yours is later.  The brass gears and lights are the first version.  The lights were a "big thing" in those days, although of course the Continentals had been fitting them for many years before)

I prefer brass gears  :)

These are my two originals. The blue one's my bargain toyfair find.  I had a green "Isembard Kingdom Brunel" when they first came out (1981?) but sold it when I changed to European N; this one's a more recent purchase for nostalgic purposes!

QuoteThe fuel tank is also detached but a dab of glue should solve that.

I designed a new mount with clips for mine. It glues into the bottom of the original tank.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Papyrus on August 09, 2023, 07:34:48 PMAt least I know what body to look out for now.

Burke and Hare might be able to help you there ;)

Newportnobby

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 09, 2023, 08:02:36 PM
Quote from: Papyrus on August 09, 2023, 07:34:48 PMMine has plastic gears and no lights. Does that make it earlier or later than yours?
Yours is later.  The brass gears and lights are the first version.  The lights were a "big thing" in those days
I had a green "Isembard Kingdom Brunel" when they first came out (1981?)

QuoteThe fuel tank is also detached but a dab of glue should solve that.

Brunel poses nearest the camera. As Nick says - brass gears and lights, although I have to say the lights on mine are as dim as a glowworm's armpit ;D

As has been mentioned already, an old Poole Farish chassis that was used for the Class 37 and 47; I've got 6 of these bought in the early 1990s. All have had the axles changed as some of the gear cogs had split, a known defect in these locos.

I've got 4 unpainted class 37 bodyshells and some nose ends that I was going to paint but have decided to buy new Bachmann Grafar as they are light years ahead of these old ones.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: 37214 on August 10, 2023, 02:40:42 PMI've got 6 of these bought in the early 1990s. All have had the axles changed as some of the gear cogs had split, a known defect in these locos.
Not with the original brass geared versions  :D   I'm perfectly capable of replacing split gears and I replace them with brass where I can  :)

Papyrus

I've bought some new bogie clips (thanks for the tip @ntpntpntp ) so it no longer falls apart. As the chassis was so cheap, I decided to splash out and buy a new body from farish nspares while I was about it, so I now have a pretty decent loco for not too much money. One thing struck me about the body though - the roof is the same colour as the main part of the body except for a glaring white panel on top. Is this correct? I have been trying to check online photos and the impression I get is that the roofs were grey in varying shades, where you can see them under the dirt. I'm no expert on diesels, so I'd appreciate some more info.

Cheers,

Chris

ntpntpntp

@Papyrus   which livery bodyshell did you buy? Post a photo?

Papyrus

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations