Doing my best not to jump in both feet first...

Started by Great West(Midlands) Rail, August 04, 2023, 01:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great West(Midlands) Rail

Greetings to one and all,

I return to the hobby of model railways after a short hiatus (I last did Japanese N) following some inspirational trips to heritage lines here in the U.K.

I have been historically quite easily put off an idea once it seems "harder than a hobby should be" shall we say for example 3 Halls, 2 Granges and 1 Pannier that all  had to be returned when last I tried U.K. N, which I to my shame largely got rid of save for a few items that I don't know how I missed them.

However following counselling I should be much better equipped for this but regardless of that from the past experience I looked at OO first as I also have a relative with a layout in this gauge and he seemed very keen for me to bring trains over for running sessions, so naturally I thought about OO here as well.

Then whilst digging all my bits out for that gauge I found an N Gauge Peco Loco Coal Wagon this morning: 

This as you can see was promptly place next to a OO gauge GWR wagon and immediately it came to mind what a better for the space layout I could have in N as opposed to OO, especially when (and please excuse the pile of bits behind I am actually sorting that out I promise LOL) the harsh reality of just how much space the OO was going to require, eagle eyed readers may even notice that Brunel himself has come to survey the land from the cab of the 2721 class pannier and has encouraged me to come on here and ask the piece of string questions that follow.

So here goes:

Quality Control:
I know I have been spoilt by Kato and Tomix with this but has Dapols QC got any better since 2019 can I get say a Hall or 57XX and have a reasonable chance of it working after running in?

Pricing:
I did take a quick look about and things on the 2nd hand side seem similar in price to OO which I don't mind, just wondering if this is the norm at shows etc?

I have a OO 43XX on it's way already so that plus my panniers can be easy to take over to my relatives place and are not dead weight nor am I going to disappoint him either should N win this battle.

I will also add that I am not looking to come back and be ugly if things don't go or aren't quite as smooth as any advice given suggests.

Thank you in advance

Christopher
Thank You & Kind Regards

Christopher

Newportnobby

You're likely to get a wide range of responses but here's my take on things...........

Quote from: Great West(Midlands) Rail on August 04, 2023, 01:53:20 PMSo here goes:

Quality Control:
I know I have been spoilt by Kato and Tomix with this but has Dapols QC got any better since 2019 can I get say a Hall or 57XX and have a reasonable chance of it working after running in?

I believe Dapol are slowly replacing everything with the cardan shaft with motors in the loco so you might want to wait for a Hall dependent on how old you are :uneasy:  I have a 57xx and it's a nice little runner.
Note - they also have a 43xx in the pipeline (I have one on pre order)
Regardless of make, all our models are hand made and, as such, anyone can get a 'Friday afternoon/Monday morning' jobbie. Don't accept new stuff that doesn't work - send it back whence it came until you get one that does.

Quote from: Great West(Midlands) Rail on August 04, 2023, 01:53:20 PMPricing:
I did take a quick look about and things on the 2nd hand side seem similar in price to OO which I don't mind, just wondering if this is the norm at shows etc?

2nd hand prices at shows can range between "That's too good to leave" to "Eh? You're having a laugh" and the former are very hard to find nowadays unless 'Anoraks Anonymous' are at the show or you know how to fix things enough to take a risk on them. I can't comment on 2nd hand 00 prices 'cos why would I look at 00? :D

Thank you NewportNobby  :)

I am pleased to hear that Dapol are going through an upgrade process - very promising!
I had no idea that they were hand made in that fashion - very interesting and I guess as you say the thing to do is keep returning faulty locos etc until you strike as close to gold with it as you can.

At the old age of 33 I can hold off for a Hall a bit longer all credit to Dapol for doing this again.

2nd hand prices being like that is fine, I should have mentioned in the first post that I had looked into 009 but found locos to be "reasonable" but trucks etc a bit erm  :goggleeyes:  :*(

Must say and clearly why I am here asking about it all that N is looking very attractive compared to OO

Sonic Models have a 56XX out, is that worth a look too?
Thank You & Kind Regards

Christopher

Newportnobby

Quote from: Great West(Midlands) Rail on August 04, 2023, 04:05:19 PMSonic Models have a 56XX out, is that worth a look too?

I have 2 and they are stunning models. Overall I reckon the vast majority of purchasers was pleased with them

nickk

Hi Christopher

Im afraid im not going to be much help but as a newcomer to N and a fellow GWR enthusiast I thought Id say Hi.

My local retailler assures me the new Dapol stuff is spot on. He reckons it can sound a bit rough while running in but once youve done that its fine

Accordingly my first purchase will be a Dapol 57XX .My second purchase will undoubtedly be a Sonic 56XX. 5619 lives less than a,mile down the road at Telford Steam Railway.

Anyway enjoy and long live the works of Mr Churchward and Mr Collett :thumbsup:

Well I don't know about not jumping in both feet first but I will give N another shot, I have ordered a 56XX from Rails just now int Shirtbutton and it was the only one that they had in stock so it felt like a final sign.
Thank You & Kind Regards

Christopher

Bealman

OO look like toys compared to N.

Just sayin, like.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Another question so I can prep ahead of the loco arriving, are the Kato SX Controllers safe to use with UK models? I have a memory of reading that they weren't due to the flavour of PWM used.

I do have a Gaugemaster Combi that I would just need to attach wires too instead
Thank You & Kind Regards

Christopher

nickk

Apoligies if I'm speaking out of turn as I am not at all familiar with the Kato SX Controllers  ::) But surely PWM can only produce a square wave with a variable mark/space ratio. If it were to produce any other waveform I cant see how it could damage a DC motor but I also dont see how you'd be able to get full throttle. Sorry if I've missed something but logic tells me there cant be a problem  :hmmm:

RBTKraisee

"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Kaput

Quote from: Great West(Midlands) Rail on August 05, 2023, 01:17:51 PMAnother question so I can prep ahead of the loco arriving, are the Kato SX Controllers safe to use with UK models? I have a memory of reading that they weren't due to the flavour of PWM used.

I do have a Gaugemaster Combi that I would just need to attach wires too instead

The Kato SX controller done some funky things with the lights on my Rapido Class 28 when I tested it.

The Combi worked perfectly and is my DC controller of choice.

Combi is now linked up to an oval of track ready for testing thank you  :thumbsup:

@RBTKraisee I think I might have done now, scored a Dapol 57XX and Autocoach for £60 before my test 56XX has arrived! Lol

I guess I need a 45XX or 64XX to play with that Autocoach, unless the 14XX has been re-chassised 

My only 2 bits of UK N Gauge stock are now on the layout awaiting the 56XX, 57XX, 3 Peco Wagons, Autocoach and Farish Toad (well I need to test them under load right?)  ;)
Thank You & Kind Regards

Christopher

Well it and the Toad have arrived and must say this is almost if not Kato steam quality! Sonic have done such a good job!

Whilst I don't have much of a train for it to pull right now I foresee a lot of playing testing to rebuild my confidence with UK outline steam - suppose I should think of a layout name now!

Thanks to all who have helped guide me thus far  :beers:
Thank You & Kind Regards

Christopher

:sorrysign: folks but OO is the winner here by a country mile, the 56xx will be returning to rails asap

once again I thank all who responded for their help with this.

for now on my N Gauge will be my superb collection of Japanese N which I can rely on to work consistently from the get go

Thank You & Kind Regards

Christopher

Newportnobby

Quote from: Great West(Midlands) Rail on August 08, 2023, 08:59:50 PMWell it and the Toad have arrived and must say this is almost if not Kato steam quality! Sonic have done such a good job!

Quote from: Great West(Midlands) Rail on August 09, 2023, 07:28:16 PM:sorrysign: folks but OO is the winner here by a country mile, the 56xx will be returning to rails asap

Care to tell us what's gone wrong?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations