Having hard time getting track plans as a complete noob.

Started by Grassyfield, July 30, 2023, 09:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassyfield

Hello, say i want to use Peco code 80 for my track layout and i want track plans with those tracks being used, am i looking for Peco code 80 track plans?, or Peco N gauge track plans. Because i can only really see peco n gauge track plans but can't tell if it's code 80 or not. And even if i wanted to follow a plan just peco 80 i cant even see any straight sections that are not flex track. Am i missing some thing, like is peco supposed to be combined with another brand like atlas, or is it not normal to just use just peco code 80 for your whole layout?. This is so annoying, like for e.g, kato unitrack you can see plans every where so it's super easy to just start buying and get in to this hobby, but i want to use code 80  peco because iv herd that's good etc but i cant figure this out, wouldn't they sell more tracks making it easier to know what to get etc like kato....

I'm complete noob, i just want a basic track plan but want to use some thing other then UNitrack or ez track.

Thank you very much.

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Grassy, and welcome to the NGF!

My entire layout is Code 80. If you are going to use set track by Peco, it is Code 80.

I certainly wouldn't mix it with Kato.

There are many Peco track plan books, but not having used them, cannot comment.

All I can say is, if you want good looking track, flexible is a must.

Welcome on board!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

Welcome. I agree with George.  What space do you have available please ?

Worth a read through

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.0

Prepared by Mick

Chris

Grassyfield

Thanks buddy, im from NZ, thanks for the welcome.

Is it normal to just buy track and lay it out and plan it like that lol :D.

Thanks mate.

Grassyfield

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 30, 2023, 09:49:33 AMWelcome. I agree with George.  What space do you have available please ?

Worth a read through

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.0

Prepared by Mick

Chris

Thanks Chris. Just like a dinner 4 seater dinnner table sort of size...

Cheers man.

crewearpley40

8 x 4 grassyfield aka real name ? Should cope with two ovals radius 3 outside. 2 inside, depending on what locus you intend to run

ntpntpntp

Peco offer 3 ranges of track for N gauge:

Setrack is their sectional track system using code 80 rail. I'd say mostly aimed at beginners but the components can still be used with more complex layouts. There are straight track sections of at least two lengths, four radii of curves, one radius of standard points, one radius of curved point and a diamond crossing.  The points are all insulated frog.  One possible drawback is the standard points are 9" radius which can be a bit tight for some more recent models (most older models will handle it fine).

Streamline is code 80 rail pointwork and flexible track aimed at people who wish to create more "flowing" layout designs. The pointwork and crossings are designed with larger radii than Setrack.  Pointwork is mostly available in either insulated frog or live frog design - live frogs give more reliable running for short locos at low speeds and are no more difficult to use than insulated frogs once you've learned a couple of basic wiring "rules".

Universal Fine is code 55 rail pointwork and flexible track. It has arguably a more realistic look, almost all the pointwork has live frogs, the flexi track is actually stronger than code 80 due to the unique rail section partly embedded in the sleeper moulding.

The two code 80 systems can be connected and match very well but beware that Setrack naturally creates a parallel track spacing wider than Streamline and the point geometry angles are different to Streamline.  The code 55 system will connect to code 80 but requires a bit of packing and there is a very slight step in the rail height.  I would recommend NOT mixing code 80 and code 55 trackwork.

Peco have certainly published books of layout plans using Setrack.  I'd say plans for Streamline tend to be produced by modellers.  Once you move on to using the flexi track systems it's more a case of using a plan as inspiration but adapting it to suit your requirements and space available etc. If you find a track plan of interest check the bill of materials: if the track pieces are STnnn they are Setrack, SLnnn are Streamline.  SLnnnF are the code 55 components.

I've been using the code 55 system since the mid 90s (and used code 80 before that since the 70s).   I do still use the Setrack points in storage yards to save space, and also sometimes use Setrack curves for hidden tight curves where it's easier to lay than flexi track.  I don't physically join the two rail codes though, they simply align at baseboard joints.

So I'm a "died-in-the-wool"  Peco track user for all my layouts, but  I will concede that Kato Unitrack is an easy to use sectional track system for beginners to put together a layout simply and easily.  It's very easy to plug together and take apart, more robust than Peco for repeated assembly, therefore ideal if/when you want to try out different layout designs.   It doesn't have as wide a range of pointwork as Peco, but has more pieces of straight track and more radii of curves.  The track joints can be a little rough due to the looseness of the joiners but nothing to worry about.  I have a box full of Unitrack simply for temporary tabletop test tracks etc. :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

Ha ha, I made my layout up as I went along.

A plan would be good.

What space have you available? We have many planning gurus here.

Just saw ntp's post. It's all exactly what he says.

Personally, if I was beginning again, I'd go for Peco Code 55.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Hi Grassyfield, and welcome to the forum.
I maintain the track plan is the most important part of any layout as, if you get it wrong, somewhere down the line you won't like it, you'll lose interest and end up abandoning the layout. I drew up my own track plan years ago and still have no desire to change it so it must be right, to my mind.
Nick (ntpx3) has laid out for you the differences in track systems. Without knowing what you intend to run I would really advise against set track, especially the points. The curves are very useful in hidden areas if you're not so hot on using flexitrack.
If you want to hand draw what sort of layout you're after or describe what features you want and the size of your boards, I'm happy to have a go for you

Grassyfield

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 30, 2023, 09:58:40 AM8 x 4 grassyfield aka real name ? Should cope with two ovals radius 3 outside. 2 inside, depending on what locus you intend to run

Hey, my name is Michael. :D. Thanks mate.

crewearpley40

Michael . Welcome.  Good advice from ntp nick and george

Grassyfield

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 30, 2023, 09:59:23 AMPeco offer 3 ranges of track for N gauge:

Setrack is their sectional track system using code 80 rail. I'd say mostly aimed at beginners but the components can still be used with more complex layouts. There are straight track sections of at least two lengths, four radii of curves, one radius of standard points, one radius of curved point and a diamond crossing.  The points are all insulated frog.  One possible drawback is the standard points are 9" radius which can be a bit tight for some more recent models (most older models will handle it fine).

Streamline is code 80 rail pointwork and flexible track aimed at people who wish to create more "flowing" layout designs. The pointwork and crossings are designed with larger radii than Setrack.  Pointwork is mostly available in either insulated frog or live frog design - live frogs give more reliable running for short locos at low speeds and are no more difficult to use than insulated frogs once you've learned a couple of basic wiring "rules".

Universal Fine is code 55 rail pointwork and flexible track. It has arguably a more realistic look, almost all the pointwork has live frogs, the flexi track is actually stronger than code 80 due to the unique rail section partly embedded in the sleeper moulding.

The two code 80 systems can be connected and match very well but beware that Setrack naturally creates a parallel track spacing wider than Streamline and the point geometry angles are different to Streamline.  The code 55 system will connect to code 80 but requires a bit of packing and there is a very slight step in the rail height.  I would recommend NOT mixing code 80 and code 55 trackwork.

Peco have certainly published books of layout plans using Setrack.  I'd say plans for Streamline tend to be produced by modellers.  Once you move on to using the flexi track systems it's more a case of using a plan as inspiration but adapting it to suit your requirements and space available etc. If you find a track plan of interest check the bill of materials: if the track pieces are STnnn they are Setrack, SLnnn are Streamline.  SLnnnF are the code 55 components.

I've been using the code 55 system since the mid 90s (and used code 80 before that since the 70s).   I do still use the Setrack points in storage yards to save space, and also sometimes use Setrack curves for hidden tight curves where it's easier to lay than flexi track.  I don't physically join the two rail codes though, they simply align at baseboard joints.

So I'm a "died-in-the-wool"  Peco track user for all my layouts, but  I will concede that Kato Unitrack is an easy to use sectional track system for beginners to put together a layout simply and easily.  It's very easy to plug together and take apart, more robust than Peco for repeated assembly, therefore ideal if/when you want to try out different layout designs.   It doesn't have as wide a range of pointwork as Peco, but has more pieces of straight track and more radii of curves.  The track joints can be a little rough due to the looseness of the joiners but nothing to worry about.  I have a box full of Unitrack simply for temporary tabletop test tracks etc. :)

Thank you so much, so set track is fully/seamlessly compatible with the stream line. Thanks Npt.

Newportnobby

Beware getting any N gauge track plans book from a chap called Cyril Freezer.
He used to be a model railway guru but has incorrectly scaled them down from 00 and they won't fit like they say they will :no:

Grassyfield

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 30, 2023, 10:18:13 AMHi Grassyfield, and welcome to the forum.
I maintain the track plan is the most important part of any layout as, if you get it wrong, somewhere down the line you won't like it, you'll lose interest and end up abandoning the layout. I drew up my own track plan years ago and still have no desire to change it so it must be right, to my mind.
Nick (ntpx3) has laid out for you the differences in track systems. Without knowing what you intend to run I would really advise against set track, especially the points. The curves are very useful in hidden areas if you're not so hot on using flexitrack.
If you want to hand draw what sort of layout you're after or describe what features you want and the size of your boards, I'm happy to have a go for you

Hey i'm extremely grateful, i will more then likely speak to you soon :D, it's quite basic. thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

Grassyfield

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 30, 2023, 10:44:53 AMBeware getting any N gauge track plans book from a chap called Cyril Freezer.
He used to be a model railway guru but has incorrectly scaled them down from 00 and they won't fit like they say they will :no:

Thank you!!.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations