Questions over current models

Started by fh47331, July 25, 2023, 11:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewearpley40

No worries Richie. It was only a few hints to think through. I thought of modelling Warrington but space is an issue and consideration there. Look forward to progress

njee20

QuoteSorry to high jack this thread, I have a problem with a class 03 that is missing a screw. It appears to return the current back to the motor and is missing, I tried a small length of wire down the hole and this seemed to make the motor turn over, The diameter of this screw is about 0.5mm or the BA equivalent. If some can help to shine some light on this problem I would be well happy, I certainly do not want to pay close on £100 for a replacement model.

That really is a thread hijack. Start a separate one, it bears no relevance to what's being discussed here.

crewearpley40

Quote from: njee20 on July 28, 2023, 03:22:25 PM
QuoteSorry to high jack this thread, I have a problem with a class 03 that is missing a screw. It appears to return the current back to the motor and is missing, I tried a small length of wire down the hole and this seemed to make the motor turn over, The diameter of this screw is about 0.5mm or the BA equivalent. If some can help to shine some light on this problem I would be well happy, I certainly do not want to pay close on £100 for a replacement model.

That really is a thread hijack. Start a separate one, it bears no relevance to what's being discussed here.
I did suggest train surgery section

Look forward to progress Richie and your plans. Stafford could be interesting what with crewe / Stoke one way, lines towards Birmingham and London Via the trent valley

fh47331

Morning all,
Ok, ideas are coming together slowly, a built of tweaking and moving around, and I think I have the gem of a basis.

Ive started looking at available rolling stock and liveries etc. it appears to me that rather than models being readily available as they were when I was last into model railways, it's more batches and get it while it's available ... and with the wide number of liveries on the railways now, that not all are available.

I remember years ago using something, I think it was some alcohol based product (No, not beer, although that probably clouded judgement!) to remove numbers and then using Fox transfers to create new identities. I'm assuming that can still be done with modern paintwork, so am thinking I might like to have a try, then have a go at maybe repainting a full model - need to have a search through here for any threads where people have said what and how they have done it.

I don't want to risk c**king up a £120 model, so wondered if anyone can tell me where (if at all) spare body shells can be acquired? I found Peters Spares, but they don't seem to have any 37s or 47 body shells in.

Richie

crewearpley40

Newportnobby

Having seen what one small drop of IPA does to paint on a MK1 coach I wouldn't recommend it for something as precise as removing a number :no:

crewearpley40

Newportnobby

A bath in IPA may be useful in cleaning a whole model for a relivery but much depends on the plastic/paint. I believe it worked on old Poole stuff but times have moved on.
For a simple renumbering I seem to recall gentle use of a fibreglass pen does the job

Steven B

Farish are now selling spare body shells for an increasing part of their range. BR Lines also sell some. Dapol body shells can be obtained from Peters Spares.

Steven B

Intercity

I have rebumbered and lettered a bunch of Dapol Sleepers and a VT to VXC HST, used micro sol or decalfix to soften the old numbers/letters then rubbed over the top with a tooth pick until the old stuff came away (careful not to go through the paint underneath), it does leave an area that you can tell has been altered, then I applied the new numbers and sealed with a varnish (make sure the humidity levels are right for sealing or it will fog), the results I have gotten have been good in my eye (remember at such a small scale and viewing distances there is room for error).

Like you I was apprehensive about ruining what are becoming expensive and sometimes hard to get models but went all in anyway (well one at a time just in case).

Good luck, and if you have questions post to the forum, folks here will come up with advice and tips.

fh47331

Thanks chaps, I'll have a look at BR Lines.

Richie

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations