Farish 4CEP length

Started by ianwales, May 25, 2023, 06:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianwales

Can someone who has a Farish 4CEP EMU tell me how long the 4 car unit is please, I want to plan platform and siding length?

Ian

Southerngooner

Good job I'd put all my rakes out yesterday! Between 550mm and 560mm over buffers depending on whether you have used the original or shorter couplings.

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

ianwales

Thanks for the Info Dave, Using the 560mm calculation then I need 1820mm if I wanted to accommodate a 12car EMU plus an MLV.

Ian

Intercity

Don't forget that on the Southern region they had many platforms shorter than trains, I remember getting off an 8 car at West Worthing and having to walk up from the rear compartment as it was off the platform (amazing how back then with manual doors and no door locks we knew to not just jump out!)

Southerngooner

A 12 car train plus MLV takes up a lot of room, hence no station on Brickmakers Lane! I find 8 coaches looks fine in N, still looks long but not overly so in comparison to a small layout.

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

ianwales

Quote from: Southerngooner on May 25, 2023, 02:50:41 PM
A 12 car train plus MLV takes up a lot of room, hence no station on Brickmakers Lane! I find 8 coaches looks fine in N, still looks long but not overly so in comparison to a small layout.

Dave

On reflection I think a 12 car will be a touch extravagant, I think I'll work towards 8 plus MLV.

Ian

KevTheBusDriver

Quote from: Intercity on May 25, 2023, 01:50:30 PM
Don't forget that on the Southern region they had many platforms shorter than trains, I remember getting off an 8 car at West Worthing and having to walk up from the rear compartment as it was off the platform (amazing how back then with manual doors and no door locks we knew to not just jump out!)

In those days most people were blessed with common sense... fitted from new.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations