N Gauge Now

Started by Northern Git, November 24, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamie+

Quote from: Herzel on March 18, 2017, 05:50:31 PM
There were earlier comparisons with the N Gauge Society journal. I acquired 3 copies from ebay, the latest being 2/14.
Comparing it with N Gauge Now is difficult because they seem to do different things and reflect the different editorial. The Society journal is attuned to the society and what it does.

Point is, unless things have changed in the intervening years the photos in the Society journal don't seem any better than those in N Gauge Now, an earlier point of discussion.  I haven't gone at it with a microscope though. For what little may be lost in photographic precision (though I can't detect much) the larger format holds more appeal to me.

Perhaps as I move into some serious modelling I'll come to appreciate the Society a little more. I'm too much of a beginner to make much of it as yet.

I agree with above post by Herzel, same for me, i think we should enjoy what there is for N Gauge.   :beers:

Howlin`baz

Regrettably, the N Gauge Journal can only print what they get sent.   Please try to insure, if you send photos in to the NGJ, that they of the highest quality you can provide.   
For an earlier comment, by joining the NGS you will have access to a wide range of experience in the scale by people interested primarily  with N Gauge matters.   Also please remember that the Society is nor populated with professional printers, photographers and journalist ( with the odd exception MrA).   They are 'normal' N gaugers like you and me, doing the best they can.   And we all do gain a lot by their efforts.

tripper

What a nice surprise, my postie delivered issue 10 this morning,  I must admit I'd forgotten all about this mag, having only just received the society journal.  With a bit of luck and some quiet time I should be able to rekindle some 'mojo'.
Regards, Ken.

Newportnobby

Yup. Got mine at lunchtime today but have yet to read it.

Newportnobby

I have the vague feeling this issue was a bit rushed. In the 'Prices' article there was no mention of the Chinese government decree that labour costs would rise by 20% each year for 5 years, instead leaving it as Farish stated labour costs would rise.
In the article on road vehicles some dimensions were given in centimetres as opposed to the correct millimetres.
However, I always like the in depth history of certain models such as the Halls/manors/Granges and the DMUs in this issue.
Again the comment about picture quality stands (it's almost like I took them).
Still, it's a purely N gauge mag so I'll be renewing my subscription.

Malc

Just finished reading mine and as you say Mick, at least it is all N gauge even if the pictures are not first quality. Just renewed my subscription on line.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tank

I just had a quick read and am grateful to see that the NGF was mentioned. :thumbsup:

Malc

Quote from: Tank on May 30, 2017, 03:04:14 PM
I just had a quick read and am grateful to see that the NGF was mentioned. :thumbsup:
How dare they not?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Snowwolflair

Another nicely put together magazine, and I think they are getting into their stride. :thumbsup:

austinbob

So general consensus is that the Mags pretty good except for iffy pictures. I think I might give it a try.
:thumbsup:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Portpatrick

Quote from: austinbob on May 30, 2017, 05:12:07 PM
So general consensus is that the Mags pretty good except for iffy pictures. I think I might give it a try.
:thumbsup:

Mine arrived today, and it looks promising.  I am renewing for another year, using the special offer on the yellow insert.  It is now my only regular subscription other than the NGS journal.  While I have expressed some personal doubts on this thread about how long I might take it, anyone should try it out, for at least a year,  and form their own opinion.  We all have our own needs, expectations and hopes.  And it will only succeed if advertisers want to support it, for which we have to buy it, and above all as with the NGS journal, if we are able to provide interesting articles.  Hmm.  What can I write about?

austinbob

I'll be signing up after the soaps tonight. Got to get your priorities right. I know.... That's just so sad.
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Steamie+

Got my copy and i don't care about the photos, enough has been said about them on here, it's the amount of information that is more important i think and yes you don't have to wade through loads of pages of the other gauges to read a few on N Gauge. i liked this mag from the 1st time i read it last August and it is getting better and better has @Snowwolflair and @austinbob have said. I also will be taking the yearly offer. 

Great magazine  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Snowwolflair

Subscription updated for another year.

Photos cost money and when they get bigger they will follow.

austinbob

Likewise - subscription paid and also ordered issue 9
:beers:

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations