Which railbus would you like to see made rtr in n gauge?

Started by bluedepot, November 06, 2023, 08:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

Quote from: PLD on November 06, 2023, 11:32:07 AMThere's some merit in all the first generation apart from the Bristol/ECWs...

The AC Cars and the W&M being the longest lasting and having preserved examples are the most obvious types to do, though the Park Royal had the wider geographic spread and considered by many the prettiest (least ugly)
The Wickham also offers the option of the one-off track-recording car ...

The Leyland National based LEV series, could be done as a spin off from a narrow bodied Pacer (class 141)...

I always thing the W&M ones look the most "grown up" because they actually have proper buffers and drawgear, although quite what they would be capable of pulling I am not entirely sure  :hmmm:

Portpatrick

I will admit I have no call for one, even though I know they ran on some lines in Northern and South west Scotland.

bluedepot

it seems like these are too niche for commercial production then really, although maybe they could sell them on just being cute / unusual??  people seem to buy odd and not v long lived prototypes just for fun.

i saw an n gauge class 139 ages ago. 

thanks pld didn't know all that about efe rail and realtrack.

hope everyone is having a good week

cheers

tim

Chris Morris

"Only 3 built, and how many folk model the Stourbridge branch?"

Well -

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Chris Morris

And when the students are on their way home...

Someone has made a 3D printed 139 which fits on a Japanese chassis.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

kesdrive

A past member of our model club (Wyre Forest) worked as an engineer on the 139 and made an n gauge model of it which you probably saw running on Kinlet Wharf.

Chris

kesdrive

Steven B

Quote from: PLD on November 06, 2023, 10:17:23 PMThe EFE 143/4 are using the RealTrack models (D&E Videos/DC Kits) tooling - As I understand it, EFE (? Bachmann / Kernow?) basically funded a new run of RT's production.

RealTrack, have never shown any significant interest in N Gauge, so I don't see any real prospect of an N version from that direction...

Has the link between the Railtrack and EFE class 143/144 been proven? Comments on RMWeb by Railtrack suggest they believe that it't not their tooling that EFE are using (yet there's enough similarities between the two models to suggest if it's not the same tooling, then the tooling's been remade from the same CAD.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/177172-efe-rail-class-143144-pacer/

Apparently the factory involved was stung by the collapse of DJ Models (with their mermaid, shark and class 17 also now available via EFE).

Realtrack have produced a PCA cement wagon in N, although several years after it's release it's still available to buy so I suspect it may not have sold that well.

Back on subject, the 1950/60s rail buses would make for interesting (& cute!) models which I'd guess would be popular but I'd question how well/reliably a 4-wheel chassis could be made to run in N. The other downside is the relative lack of liveries compared to other first generation MU's (and Pacers!).

Steven B.

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: bluedepot on November 08, 2023, 01:15:37 PMit seems like these are too niche for commercial production then really, although maybe they could sell them on just being cute / unusual??

Quote from: Steven B on November 08, 2023, 01:50:15 PMBack on subject, the 1950/60s rail buses would make for interesting (& cute!) models

Did someone say cute?

Arnold 2920 VT 89.9 railcar by Jim Easterbrook, on Flickr

Not a UK prototype, so irrelevant to this thread, but I like it.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

bluedepot

Voting has now closed!

The winner was the Waggon und Maschinenbau railbus!

In second was Park Royal!

I actually think a railbus might be commercially successful in n gauge.  They are novel and would have a cute factor.

They may pose a technical challenge too far though because of being 4 wheel and tiny and needing a see through interior unobscured by motor or DCC decoder. 

Thanks for all your comments and votes!

Cheers

Tim

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: bluedepot on November 13, 2023, 07:41:41 AMI actually think a railbus might be commercially successful in n gauge.  They are novel and would have a cute factor.

They may pose a technical challenge too far though because of being 4 wheel and tiny and needing a see through interior unobscured by motor or DCC decoder. 

They don't usually need to haul anything, or not much, so a small motor is enough. The Arnold 2920 manages to keep everything below the window line.

Arnold 2920 VT 89.9 railcar by Jim Easterbrook, on Flickr

Fitting DCC decoder to Arnold 2920 by Jim Easterbrook, on Flickr

After taking these photos I fitted a DCC decoder just above the motor. It is visible through the windows so I painted it black.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations