Steam layouts, a dying breed?

Started by portland-docks, November 27, 2012, 03:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: EMU Trains ??? ??? ??? ???  they closely resemble trams not trains  :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: some people get screwed up with their ideas  :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: oldrailbug on November 29, 2012, 08:03:39 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: EMU Trains ??? ??? ??? ???  they closely resemble trams not trains  :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: some people get screwed up with their ideas  :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

You can have steam trams too !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

tim-pelican

Quote from: newportnobby on November 29, 2012, 06:16:13 PM
Going off the topic, but it's nice to have another Dune 'addict' on the forum - a trilogy that became 6 books.  :thumbsup:

Or eight.  I still haven't read the last two not-Frank-but-from-his-notes ones, in the hope that it will make the whole thing make any sense what so ever...

OwL

I personally don't think Steam layouts will ever die out. Look at the Recent layout 'Elvinley'by Ian from this very forum for example, an absolute masterpiece layout!

Also manufacturers produce Steam in quantity still. If steam layouts were dying, I would think steam era models would not be produced still. There is still a demand for them.
I run a modern image layout, however I always have a steam special or two on the go...... My latest is Flying Scotsman. :thankyousign:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

longbridge

I agree with Owl, I think there is as much chance of steam layouts dying  out as there is me flying to Mars.

If you ask a little kid to pretend he is a train he/she will go chuff chuff  make whoo whoo sounds and move their arms like a steam train, I have yet to find a child that goes Brrmm Brmm and make honking sounds like a diesel, why would they kids use their imagination, I guess there just isn't anything to imagine with diesels  :claphappy:

While kids have Thomas, James and the crew to watch on DVDs  kids will remember steam far more than diesel, as a matter of fact when my 21 year old Grandson was a little kid he used to cry when that confounded Diesel made an appearance in Thomas the Tank episodes, frankly I don't blame him Diesel was just a lousy excuse for a locomotive  :veryangry:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

OwL

ORB is right. Steam won't die out. This means Steam Layouts will live on also.

Look at stuff like Thomas and films like Polar Express. All feature steam but done for kids..........

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Pengi

Quote from: OwL on November 29, 2012, 11:07:16 PM
ORB is right. Steam won't die out. This means Steam Layouts will live on also.

Look at stuff like Thomas and films like Polar Express. All feature steam but done for kids..........

That is very true. I overheard a young child saying to her Mum "There's a choo-choo, there's a choo-choo" as a Desiro glided into the station.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

PLD

Any sort of train, however it is powered is better than a Bus!

:P

Agrippa

How about N gauge live steam - that would be a real steam layout .
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Pengi

Quote from: Agrippa on November 30, 2012, 09:27:03 AM

That is the real challenge to steam (and even diesel) aficionados - trying to model the emissions if you are aiming for a prototypical railway. With electric, I guess it is the sparky, arcy stuff that this the challenge if a winter layout is planned. Frosty day today but not quite icy enough for 3rd rail pyrotechnics yet!

MikeDunn

Nice idea - but the scale is totally against it, sadly.

Just think how tiny a steam pipe will be in N - and then factor in the thickness.  Not a lot of room left ...  :hmmm:

A shame, as I'd buy it !

Pengi

Quote from: PLD on November 30, 2012, 08:35:09 AM
Any sort of train, however it is powered is better than a Bus!

:P
Definitely.

I know this is a bit off-topic but the Council decided that, rather than put a light railway/tram link on the disused line between Gosport and Fareham, they would turn the track into a bus route.

There were a lot of calls for a tram/light railway as the main route in and out of Gosport gets choked with traffic.

The bus route is not getting the amount of usage they expected. Many people that I know that live in the area don't like travelling by bus so they continue to use their cars but would have used a tram.

And to think, this used to be the main train route between the IOW and London - as used by Queen Victoria. She would not have used a bus!

MinZaPint

And to think, this used to be the main train route between the IOW and London - as used by Queen Victoria. She would not have used a bus!
[/quote]

She would not have been amused!!!
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

H

Quote from: MikeDunn on November 30, 2012, 11:05:39 AM
Nice idea - but the scale is totally against it, sadly.

But it's been done.

H.

MikeDunn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations