Steam layouts, a dying breed?

Started by portland-docks, November 27, 2012, 03:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Good for you, Dave. We need more steam fans to offset all these 'Modern Image' people >:D :D

Pengi

Diesels -  :thumbsdown: Steam - :thumbsdown: DMUs - :thumbsup: EMUs -  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Electric fans where are you? Let's combat those who want a return to the Dark Side.

EMUs are not dirty, smelly, oily pollutions machines - they are a magnificent site whether they are sashaying through the curves at Clapham Junction or gliding through the countryside.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

H

Quote from: Pengy on November 29, 2012, 02:27:23 PM

Electric fans where are you? Let's combat those who want a return to the Dark Side.

Don't worry, it obvious that those kettle fans are running out of steam. It's all just a little huffing and puffing with them.  ;D

H.

AndyGif

EMUs are not dirty, smelly, oily pollutions machines -

but the power stations that make the sparkley go juice are.....  :hmmm:
and and dont stop me now im on a roll here, emu's are glorified steam trains.... as the electrikery is made by steam turbines at the power station (usually, ok might be some wind these days or heaven forbid waves)..... ;)

Greybeema

Quote from: AndyGif on November 29, 2012, 02:45:43 PM
EMUs are not dirty, smelly, oily pollutions machines -

but the power stations that make the sparkley go juice are.....
and and dont stop me now im on a roll here, emu's are glorified steam trains.... as the electrikery is made by steam turbines at the power station (usually, ok might be some wind these days or heaven forbid waves).....

Andy,
Your starting to sound desparate here...

I am sure that the production of steam in a Power Station is far more efficient and cleaner than them old Kettles.

I'm with Pengy with the "Worms of many colours" have turned - and the sparky, arcy bit always adds drama...  That remainds me - I must get one of those arcing lighting units   8)....

Electricery will take over the world..... 
"What shall we do today Pengy?"  "Same as yesterday GreyBeema - World domination"....   :laugh3:
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

H

emu's are glorified steam trains....

If they are how comes so many steamy fans eschew them?

the electrikery is made by steam turbines at the power station (usually, ok might be some wind these days or heaven forbid waves).....

Most power stations use cleaner burning and more efficient gas these days (remember 'the dash for gas' at the end of the last millennium), none of that mucky dirty coal, and some are even nuclear or even biomass fuel . . .   :goggleeyes:  8)

H.

AndyGif

Quote from: H on November 29, 2012, 03:26:14 PM
Most power stations use cleaner burning and more efficient gas these days (remember 'the dash for gas' at the end of the last millennium), none of that mucky dirty coal, and some are even nuclear or even biomass fuel . . .   :goggleeyes:  8)

H.
might be gas powered but they still just boil the water with it.....

AndyGif

to ride a worm of many colours, do you have to know the ways of the Fremen, own a still suit and know how to use a thumper (no, not a class 205/207).

worm sign, worm sign, let the spice flow.......

Pengi

Quote from: Greybeema on November 29, 2012, 03:13:00 PM

I'm with Pengy with the "Worms of many colours" have turned - and the sparky, arcy bit always adds drama...  That remainds me - I must get one of those arcing lighting units   8)....

Electricery will take over the world..... 
"What shall we do today Pengy?"  "Same as yesterday GreyBeema - World domination"....   :laugh3:

I love the sparky, arcy bits too!

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

tim-pelican

Quote from: Pengy on November 29, 2012, 04:05:16 PM
I love the sparky, arcy bits too!

The idea of trying to model the sparky bits (above or below) gives me a bit of the heebie-jeebies though...

Newportnobby

Quote from: AndyGif on November 29, 2012, 03:58:42 PM
to ride a worm of many colours, do you have to know the ways of the Fremen, own a still suit and know how to use a thumper (no, not a class 205/207).

worm sign, worm sign, let the spice flow.......

Going off the topic, but it's nice to have another Dune 'addict' on the forum - a trilogy that became 6 books.  :thumbsup:

Malc

I liked the first 3 books, but struggled after that. A good idea, dragged out a bit - like Robert Jordan in that respect - one novel 12 books.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

EtchedPixels

Steam may be coming back any way. There are some steam additions to DMUs being trialled that use the waste engine heat to extract more power and increase efficiency
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Greybeema

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 29, 2012, 07:18:50 PM
Steam may be coming back any way. There are some steam additions to DMUs being trialled that use the waste engine heat to extract more power and increase efficiency

Is that the equivilent to injecting water into aero engines to boost power?  Pratt & Witney did it with their R2800 engine..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations