Old farish's small wheels

Started by Le Night ferry, February 28, 2024, 10:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Night ferry

Old Grafar loco's wheel diameters are small(well,just little smaller than minitrix pacific)
Did someone tried to replace it, for Duchess or A3,etc?

Roy L S

Quote from: Le Night ferry on February 28, 2024, 10:21:09 AMOld Grafar loco's wheel diameters are small(well,just little smaller than minitrix pacific)

The N Gauge Society for a time stocked larger replacement wheels which were an exclusive product, in addition N-Brass made a complete replacement bogie kit (a fold up etch) with larger wheels, so there were at least a couple of options for those wanting to change the ridiculously small ones they came with.

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Roy L S on February 28, 2024, 12:15:39 PM
Quote from: Le Night ferry on February 28, 2024, 10:21:09 AMOld Grafar loco's wheel diameters are small(well,just little smaller than minitrix pacific)

The N Gauge Society for a time stocked larger replacement wheels which were an exclusive product, in addition N-Brass made a complete replacement bogie kit (a fold up etch) with larger wheels, so there were at least a couple of options for those wanting to change the ridiculously small ones they came with.
Can I join to N gauge Society?
And I heard Nbrass finished its job, and its kits will sold another company.

Roy L S

Quote from: Le Night ferry on February 28, 2024, 12:23:00 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on February 28, 2024, 12:15:39 PM

Can I join to N gauge Society?
And I heard Nbrass finished its job, and its kits will sold another company.

Anyone can join, I have been a member for many years, but please be aware that they no longer stock the bogie wheels I was referring to, maybe someone on this Forum has some or can provide another option?

Here is a link to the NGS: -

https://www.ngaugesociety.org/sandpit/

Regards

Roy

Le Night ferry

Anyone can join, I have been a member for many years, but please be aware that they no longer stock the bogie wheels I was referring to, maybe someone on this Forum has some or can provide another option?

Here is a link to the NGS: -

https://www.ngaugesociety.org/sandpit/

Regards

Roy

[/quote]
Going to join soon.
How's worth of its transfer and etched part?
I was thingking of Fox transfer's.

For wheel, I consider using Dapol's Spare wheels.

Steven B

Quote from: Le Night ferry on February 28, 2024, 12:37:09 PMGoing to join soon.

The Journal is an excellent publication in its own right. The hand-book sent out to new members is also worth a ready - plenty of interesting information for folk who are new to N Gauge.

The shop is now much smaller than it used to be. When I joined around 20 years ago it was full of lots of detailing and kit parts from many small suppliers. This was found to be unsustainable over time and so the range is now limited to the Society's own kit and RTR models with a range of transfers (not Fox!)

Worth joining - particularly now the Journal can be downloaded electronically making it more accessible to those not in the UK.
You should be able to get hold of a sample Journal if you find the right link on the website.

Steven B

Le Night ferry

Steven B
Quote from: Steven B on February 28, 2024, 01:25:05 PM
Quote from: Le Night ferry on February 28, 2024, 12:37:09 PMGoing to join soon.

The Journal is an excellent publication in its own right. The hand-book sent out to new members is also worth a ready - plenty of interesting information for folk who are new to N Gauge.

The shop is now much smaller than it used to be. When I joined around 20 years ago it was full of lots of detailing and kit parts from many small suppliers. This was found to be unsustainable over time and so the range is now limited to the Society's own kit and RTR models with a range of transfers (not Fox!)

Worth joining - particularly now the Journal can be downloaded electronically making it more accessible to those not in the UK.
You should be able to get hold of a sample Journal if
One year for 32?. With lots of n gauge information.
Okay. I'll register

Dr Al

N Brass locos had replacement bogies with scale wheels for the older Farish designs.

Sadly though, N Brass have just closed, due to owner retirement, so these are going to be difficult to get now.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Dr Al on February 29, 2024, 10:59:25 AMN Brass locos had replacement bogies with scale wheels for the older Farish designs.

Sadly though, N Brass have just closed, due to owner retirement, so these are going to be difficult to get now.

Cheers,
Alan
I saw Japanese N gauge modeller replace Farish wheels to Kato's wheel. It could be alternative option.

Safety Engineer

There was a posting on this forum recently where the OP had replaced the front bogie on a Bullied pacific with that from a new style MN. Presume you could do similar on the Coranation etc.

Hiawatha

Peter

Alcazar

Many moons ago when I was building the GEM Director on a 4P chassis, I replaced the front bogie with one from the Fleischmann Dutch 4-6-0 bought as a spare part (black wheels).

You might try one of the Farish spares suppliers, BR Lines or Peter's Spares, or the Bachmann Spare's site itself. This is getting better all the time!

Peter

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations