Which is the best n gauge HST (not Pullman)

Started by AndyD21, February 11, 2024, 06:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyD21

Hello, new here!
Had an N gauge about 10yrs ago, and about to get back into it.  It's especially challenging for me as, although I grew up on the South Coast of UK, I emigrated to Michigan about 20yrs ago.  On the plus side my basement (almost all houses have basements here)is large enough for 12x8ft and warm year around.

Anyway, I'm coming to UK in a couple of weeks with credit card.  I have a shopping list but surprised not to find a new HST in either Intercity or Yellow/Blue livery.  Seems odd that not even GF have one of the most recognizable British loco's.  My question.. what are the best HST's to buy secondhand (or even new).

Steven B

Farish last made a HST in 2009. If you want one today you'll need to look for the Dapol models. Blue/grey and Intercity have seen a few reruns.

Steven B

jpendle

I'd put the credit card away and buy everything online from British shops.

That way you save 16% on everything, so as long as you spend more than 100 quid it'll more than pay for the postage.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

Yes it is a joyous reality that you pay less than we do for buying things from British retailers due to the removal of VAT.

Dapol HST is the one to have as said. The batch production nature of model railways means it's comparatively unlikely you can walk into a shop and buy what you want unless it's a recent release. 

Brian-1c

Quote from: AndyD21 on February 11, 2024, 06:44:02 PMHello, new here!
Had an N gauge about 10yrs ago, and about to get back into it.  It's especially challenging for me as, although I grew up on the South Coast of UK, I emigrated to Michigan about 20yrs ago.  On the plus side my basement (almost all houses have basements here)is large enough for 12x8ft and warm year around.

Anyway, I'm coming to UK in a couple of weeks with credit card.  I have a shopping list but surprised not to find a new HST in either Intercity or Yellow/Blue livery.  Seems odd that not even GF have one of the most recognizable British loco's.  My question.. what are the best HST's to buy secondhand (or even new).

Kernows have the latest Dapol Next18 equipped blue/grey HST in stock now.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/78059/2D-019-013-Dapol-Class-43-HST-Blue-and-Grey-ER-HST-Pack

I have one. It runs well, I am very happy with it.

The Inter City version was also released last year and you may be able to find one of them too,

Brian

AndyD21

Quote from: jpendle on February 11, 2024, 07:09:35 PMI'd put the credit card away and buy everything online from British shops.

That way you save 16% on everything, so as long as you spend more than 100 quid it'll more than pay for the postage.

Regards,

John P

Yes John, I fill out the form at LHR on the way home for the same reason.  Got a shopping list around GBP2,000 (don't tell the wife), so getting the VAT back is well worth it.

AndyD21

Quote from: Brian-1c on February 11, 2024, 08:22:35 PM
Quote from: AndyD21 on February 11, 2024, 06:44:02 PMHello, new here!

Kernows have the latest Dapol Next18 equipped blue/grey HST in stock now.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/78059/2D-019-013-Dapol-Class-43-HST-Blue-and-Grey-ER-HST-Pack

I have one. It runs well, I am very happy with it.

The Inter City version was also released last year and you may be able to find one of them too,

Oh wow, that would be perfect.  Guildford is very drivable from where I'll be staying near Winchester, thank you for the link!

Intercity

I would go for one of the Dapol next18 latest release re runs (the midland mainline one is set to be released soon), they are also rereleasing some coaches soon.

In the past there have been some quality issues with Bat54C diodes blowing and knocking out the lights.

Also be aware of previous releases not matching up livery wise as there were variations on shades used (you could combat that by saying Neville Hill used mixed a different shade to Phillips Marsh!!!!, for some it's a big deal especially when running together.

There are also some compromises, Blue and Grey having CDL mouldings showing, the Buffet being Generic, roof vents being from Loco-hauled or visa versa (new roof replacements were released separately.

I think there was some sort of compromise on the roof of the power car also for certain versions, to do with the exhaust, but someone else will have to verify that.

I think for most of us many of these things can be overlooked but I mention them so it's not a surprise.

Personally I'd take the Dapol model over the Farish one (and have with 8 versions in my possession)

pinball

Quote from: Intercity on February 11, 2024, 08:59:19 PMI think for most of us many of these things can be overlooked but I mention them so it's not a surprise.

Personally I'd take the Dapol model over the Farish one (and have with 8 versions in my possession)

I completely agree. I drove the 1:1 scale HSTs (and now the short form versions) and the real thing had all sorts of weird modifcations, paint / vinyl differences, bodyside and even roof differences and so on. Not to mention various cab layouts and other internals. The power cars were essentially locomotives and each had their own quirks too. Without a doubt the best things I have driven. I got to know them very well indeed. There were plenty of modifications to the coaches too over the years. As far as I am concerned, the Dapol HST does this fantastic train justice.

njee20

Quote from: AndyD21 on February 11, 2024, 08:56:56 PMOh wow, that would be perfect.  Guildford is very drivable from where I'll be staying near Winchester, thank you for the link!

Check they actually have it. The online stock checker only references the Camborne  branch, and the Guidlford one is much smaller, albeit definitely worth a visit if you're close by.

jpendle

Quote from: AndyD21 on February 11, 2024, 08:53:43 PMYes John, I fill out the form at LHR on the way home for the same reason.  Got a shopping list around GBP2,000 (don't tell the wife), so getting the VAT back is well worth it.

No you won't. Tax Free for Tourists was canned 3 years ago.

I wouldn't have known myself except that I read an article about it last week.

Regards,

John P

And my Automation Thread

Intercity

You could always go into the store and if they have what you are looking to buy you can probably make sure it runs etc, then go online and purchase it using your US card and US delivery address, note you will not be allowed to leave the store with it, but you will have the order in tax free and a nice package waiting at the post office when you get home

AndyD21

Quote from: jpendle on February 12, 2024, 12:30:44 AM
Quote from: AndyD21 on February 11, 2024, 08:53:43 PMYes John, I fill out the form at LHR on the way home for the same reason.  Got a shopping list around GBP2,000 (don't tell the wife), so getting the VAT back is well worth it.

No you won't. Tax Free for Tourists was canned 3 years ago.

I wouldn't have known myself except that I read an article about it last week.

Regards,

John P

Yes, just discovered that myself this evening (anything not to watch the Super Bowl...).  Well that sucks, and mailing to Michigan is probably really expensive but if I spend enough it may well be worth it.  GBP1,000 would be GBP160 in tax saving.  Well, if they're willing to do that...

jpendle

It doesn't cost that much.

Revolution, Kernow, and Rails typically charge less than 20 quid for international tracked delivery.

Regards,

John P

And my Automation Thread

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations