N gauge Atlantics

Started by Le Night ferry, January 27, 2024, 11:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Night ferry

Quite surprised that there's no British 4-4-2s in n gauge.
We can make it by modifying 4-6-0s or Pacific, but there's no commercial models.
I remember that someone make GNR 251 based on Dapol's chassis.

JanW

It was built by one of the forum members. Description is under the video:

https://youtu.be/EYerYhKUxjc?si=xC_VfNIShp2p492H

Jollybob

I was talking to my friend about this yesterday, I once had a GWR De Glen 4-4-2 that I sold online and wished that I hadn't. The only issue on was the pickups needed tweaking.

But agreed, a 4-4-2 is one of those what I describe to myself as missing link locomotives.
When we run polls, I seem to notice that we either focus on little steam locomotives or massive modern mainline ones, but it seems that the secondary like 4-4-2s, 4-4-0s or 2-4-0s ones get overlooked.

Rob.

Le Night ferry

Quote from: JanW on January 28, 2024, 06:37:48 AMIt was built by one of the forum members. Description is under the video:

https://youtu.be/EYerYhKUxjc?si=xC_VfNIShp2p492H

Ah, he sells Payriot class pn shapeways.

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Jollybob on January 28, 2024, 09:40:40 AMI was talking to my friend about this yesterday, I once had a GWR De Glen 4-4-2 that I sold online and wished that I hadn't. The only issue on was the pickups needed tweaking.

But agreed, a 4-4-2 is one of those what I describe to myself as missing link locomotives.
When we run polls, I seem to notice that we either focus on little steam locomotives or massive modern mainline ones, but it seems that the secondary like 4-4-2s, 4-4-0s or 2-4-0s ones get overlooked.

Rob.
GWR La France
Is it n gauge?

Portpatrick

I have no personal need for Atlantics.  I guess possible donor chassis for the more adventurous could be the current Dapol Schools class ( if you are prepared to mangle such a pricey item).  Or a Farish Compound - easy enough to cut away the outside cylinders if you don't need them.  The screw for the tender link could instead carry the rear bogie.  I have a reputation gained over a number of years at my club for imaginative butchering.  But for my North of Scotland layout, Atlantics are not on my agenda.

Jollybob

Quote from: Le Night ferry on January 28, 2024, 03:07:03 PM
Quote from: Jollybob on January 28, 2024, 09:40:40 AMI was talking to my friend about this yesterday, I once had a GWR De Glen 4-4-2 that I sold online and wished that I hadn't. The only issue on was the pickups needed tweaking.

Rob.
GWR La France
Is it n gauge?

Yes. It was on a modified Farish Black 5 chassis. It was painted black, in its unrebuilt form, complete with lining. Someone had put a lot of effort into it.

Although it would have been too heavy in reality, I think it would have looked quite nice running on a branchline or secondary route.

Rob.

GlenEglise

Where predominantly did "Atlantics" run?

GE

gc4946

North British Rly, North Eastern Rly, Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly, Great Northern Rly, Great Central Rly, GWR, London, Brighton & South Coast Rly.
Ex-LBSCR 32424 Beachy Head was the last Atlantic in service on British Railways, withdrawn and scrapped in 1958. The Bluebell are recreating a replica.
Two Great Northern examples survive in the National Collection and the Great Western Society's recreation of Saint 2999 Lady of Legend includes provision for it to be a 4-4-2.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Alcazar

@Stevie DC built a LNER C1 some time ago. I don't know whether it was described here. If not you can view it and other builds here: https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11916&hilit=Atso&start=150

Peter

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Jollybob on January 28, 2024, 07:58:14 PM

Rob.
GWR La France
Is it n gauge?

Yes. It was on a modified Farish Black 5 chassis. It was painted black, in its unrebuilt form, complete with lining. Someone had put a lot of effort into it.

Although it would have been too heavy in reality, I think it would have looked quite nice running on a branchline or secondary route.

Rob.
Do younhave its photo?
I have no idea how Grafar's black 5 became La France

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Alcazar on January 30, 2024, 05:50:45 PM@Stevie DC built a LNER C1 some time ago. I don't know whether it was described here. If not you can view it and other builds here: https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11916&hilit=Atso&start=150

Peter
Yes That's what I see
Sadley, he does not sells this locomotive on shapeways.

Le Night ferry

In fact, I purchased lots of Peco's Jubilee for 4-4-2s(GNRms and Beechey heads)
If possible, I could make Frenche's Nord 2.670

Jollybob

Quote from: Le Night ferry on February 04, 2024, 11:48:37 PM

Rob.
GWR La France
Is it n gauge?

Rob.
Do younhave its photo?

Found it!

Sorry for the wait, I had to find the hardrive, that my wife moved, in a completely different place, then I had to go through all the files.... You get the idea.  :D

Poor photo I am afraid, Sorry about that.

Rob.

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Jollybob on February 12, 2024, 01:56:00 PM
Quote from: Le Night ferry on February 04, 2024, 11:48:37 PM

Rob.
GWR La France
Is it n gauge?

Rob.
Do younhave its photo?

Found it!

Sorry for the wait, I had to find the hardrive, that my wife moved, in a completely different place, then I had to go through all the files.... You get the idea.  :D

Poor photo I am afraid, Sorry about that.

Rob.
Thanks for photo!
It may be hard to modfy its cylinder and valve gear.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations