Correcting a poor attempt at weathering

Started by Newportnobby, January 07, 2024, 12:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Yesterday I made an attempt to weather 2 Peco Fish Vans using Acrylic paint. Not having an airbrush I tried to dry brush them but the initial strokes were too heavy when looked at today.
Attempts today to use water to remove the paint failed. I don't want to use IPA as it's not good on plastics, so could the collective suggest anything else please? I have some white spirit in the garage?
(And NO, any pictures would be too embarrassing at the mo :-[ )

kesdrive

Gentle use of cotton bud with acrylic thinners should do the trick.

Chris

crewearpley40

Agree there. I just use a small dab with the cotton bud obtainable in supermarkets and the thinner can be found online or in your local model shop

ntpntpntp

I agree, a cotton bud and acrylic thinners is worth a try.

Why not try weathering powders rather than paint? Easy to apply and will wash off if you haven't sealed them.  I don't bother sealing and some of my stock still has its weathering from 2006 (before I took the layout to Stuttgart N convention).  I find  weathering powders produce better looking dirt and rust effects, though not so good for liquid streaks/drips.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: kesdrive on January 07, 2024, 01:51:46 PMGentle use of cotton bud with acrylic thinners should do the trick.

Chris

So - got some thinners today. First up, let me show you some airbrushed weathered fish vans done for me by the talented mk1mgstu

My first attempts using dry brushing I was really not happy with, but I've toned them down with some thinners. Still somewhat heavy handed me thinks but comments welcome (I think :worried: )

Pristine

and afterwards

Not sure I'm happy with 'em really :hmmm:

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 13, 2024, 02:00:17 PMNot sure I'm happy with 'em really :hmmm:

Well, they certainly look mucky!  But they do look better in the last photo'.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

No need to do any more mick,  just sit back and watch them in a rake of stock !

Newportnobby

Yeah - I'm quite pleased now so won't be doing anything more but thanks to those who suggested thinners which worked very well. :thumbsup:

pinball

They look good! I'd be happy with them!

I'm a novice at all this myself, so I don't want to talk out of place but one extra thing I might do is a bit of a dark wash around the raised detail areas such as doors, beams, rivets and so on - probably with a dark brown or dark grey rather than pure black, just to highlight them a bit more - especially on a white model.

crewearpley40

Hope you have a stock of cotton buds Available from most supermarkets and chemists. A pack of wipes and kitchen towel is useful too. I agree with Paul Pinball and there are rust and brakedust powders available on the market

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations