New user questions

Started by scoop115, June 11, 2013, 07:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoop115

Hi everyone. New user here – both for this forum and n gauge. I’m in the process of setting up my very first layout and have a couple of question. (apologies if these are covered elsewhere, but not sure where to start searching)

Initial layout will be a simple loop with a passing place. The intention is to make the passing place part of an internal loop in the future, so I’m looking at 4 sets of points. Again in the future (may have to be sooner rather than later!) the points will be motorised. Question is – using Peco finescale stuff – will/can I do anything with the points to allow running on both sections i.e. main loop and passing loop. I’ve read so much on the net about wiring and motors and modifications its all become a little confusing !

Secondly, how many points would a CDU be expected to operate and over what sort of distance?
(my board is approx 1000 x 1750)

:thankyousign:

Jack

Firstly welcome aboard scoop.

The Search button at the top is a good friend for all of us.  :thumbsup:

However to answer some of your questions;

Modifying points: Absolutely NO need too regardless of which Peco track you choose. If you use electrofrog points (large metal V's as opposed to part black plastic ones) and you keep your track clean you should have no problems.

CDU: One CDU, in theory, will run as many points as you like, the problem comes if you want to throw 6 points at exactly the same time, which is very unlikely. I've got 24 point motors running off one CDU and sometimes I'll throw 4 point switches at the same time (I have a few Double Slips) with no problems.

One thing you may have to think about is which type of track power you are going to use, DCC or DC, because the wiring is going to be different.

Oh! by the way enjoy the ride which is this wonderful hobby of N Gauge railways.  ;D
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

scoop115

Thanks very much for the swift reply Jack9465. For your info  (which I should have included) the points are elecrofrog and also I am going DCC. The DCC wiring I understand

(At the moment evry day is a learning day)

Sprintex

If you're using electrofrog points then you'll need to fit insulated rail-joiners (plastic rather than metal) to the inner two rails at the wide end of the point. In other words the two short rails that lead away from the frog.

As you're using DCC you will also need to provide a separate track feed to the passing loop otherwise it will be dead when the points are changed :thumbsup:

Paul

Chinahand

Hi scoop and  :welcomesign:

Jack has answered most of your questions but I would like to add that, to be sure of reliable running, I would recommend that each individual piece of track, including the points, is separately connected to your DCC Bus rather that relying on the metal fish plates for the electrical/DCC signal connection.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Newportnobby

Hi Scoop, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I look forward to seeing your plan develop over time, and please remember we love pics on the forum. This especially helps demonstrate any problems or solutions you may find.
If in doubt, have a look at the FAQ's to see how to post pics :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack 9465,  I did a search and found this post. I was pretty sure I could run as many points off one CDU as I wanted just no more than 6 at once. You have confirmed this for me. I do plan on 4 at once with my Scissors X-over.

This forum is awesome, you guys are great.

Bealman

An Aussie welcome to the forum, scoop!

In relation to CDUs, which are basically nothing much other than a power transistor and a couple of capacitors, I have always built my own - then if I want to give it a bit more 'oomph' I just up the value of the electrolytic capacitors. I have found that a couple of 2200 microfarad 25V caps do the job quite nicely.

If you are interested in building your own, there are heaps of kits around - the latest being in the March 2013 issue of the Australian electronics mag SILICON CHIP, but seeing as the Aussie designs in the mag always end up in the British mag EVERYDAY ELECTRONICS anyway, the project should be coming to a newsagent near you very soon!

Welcome to the forum!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

trainsdownunder

Another G'day from Downunder.

:welcomesign: Best forum for all you'll ever need to know or find out about. Whatever your query, there always seems to be someone with answers out there somewhere.

:beers:

Tank

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations