tapatalk?

Started by mr magnolia, October 16, 2011, 08:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr magnolia

Software that can be used to access forums via these here new smartphone thingies.
Suspect that the forum admin have to arrange connection it use of the software, and have no idea if it costs the forum money, but its good. Recommended! (Costs the user 2 quid to buy, so may be free to sign the forum up to?)

Tank

Thanks for the idea.   :)

I have an iPhone and I can use the forum with no problems.  I think the program isn't really needed right now, especially as it costs users to purchase - which will certainly limit the amount of people who sign up to it.  I'll certainly look at it in the future. :thumbsup:

EtchedPixels

It works fine off Android devices as is, both tablets and phones - no extra software needed.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

mr magnolia

To be fair, it seems to format much better on a iPhone/ops than am android thing that I have.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: mr magnolia on October 16, 2011, 06:46:30 PM
To be fair, it seems to format much better on a iPhone/ops than am android thing that I have.

No idea about that (not a fashion accessory person) but it's certainly happy on Android 2.2/2.3 both with the inbuilt browser and with firefox. Not tried opera on it. I'd probably get more modelling done if tank broke that though 8)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

MikeDunn

What does it give that using a smartphone's browser (the same as your PC's browser, basically) doesn't ?

I'm puzzled why I would want to pay £2 for something I already have for free  ???  What am I missing here ?

Mike

Tank

Well the App/Software would allow you to view the forum 'on the move', and would be conveniently on your phone. 

I don't know enough about the software to share any other possible benefits. ???  Any help on these would be good.

scotsoft

Quote from: Tank on October 16, 2011, 10:15:40 PM
Well the App/Software would allow you to view the forum 'on the move', and would be conveniently on your phone. 

I don't know enough about the software to share any other possible benefits. ???  Any help on these would be good.

You would still need to be able to connect to the internet using the app whether you are using 3G or a wifi hotspot.
I have an Android phone and regularly check this and other forums using the Android browser.

John.

mr magnolia

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 16, 2011, 09:35:26 PM
What does it give that using a smartphone's browser (the same as your PC's browser, basically) doesn't ?

I'm puzzled why I would want to pay £2 for something I already have for free  ???  What am I missing here ?

Mike

My questions exactly, before I started using it. It gives an alternative presentation of the forum that avoids the need to zoom in and out to navigate. All pictures seem to changed to thumbnails so all are available still and by clicking, they zoom and scale directly to suit the phone. On my HTC phone it makes typing replies easier too as it better formats the screen. I only use it in one other place and you can view via browser as 'normal' or you can access directly via tapatalk.

MikeDunn

But Tank ... I can do this anyway ?

OK, I'm @ home atm doing this reply, but my phone has two browsers on it (the in-built one & Opera), can access the 'net on wireless or 3G (or other phone-given 'net access), so I can get to these Fora (and elsewhere) regardless - as long as I have a connection !

I see what's in it for the provider of the app (£2 per copy), but not for me ?

Quote from: mr magnolia on October 17, 2011, 08:10:37 AM
My questions exactly, before I started using it. It gives an alternative presentation of the forum that avoids the need to zoom in and out to navigate. All pictures seem to changed to thumbnails so all are available still and by clicking, they zoom and scale directly to suit the phone. On my HTC phone it makes typing replies easier too as it better formats the screen.

Well, I don't have an issue zooming (hell, ya have to do that anyway unless you have a 5"+ tablet !), nor with typing replies (landscape mode - much easier than portrait, especially with my fingers  :smiley-laughing:) ...

But ... as long as you're happy  ;) 

Mike

Tank

It does sound like a good idea, especially if it's creating thumbnails and therefore not downloading great big pictures to a small screen.   :computersmile:  I just think that out of our regular users that there wouldn't be many people who would use it.  Will certainly look into it in the future though as an option.

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 17, 2011, 09:00:50 AM
But Tank ... I can do this anyway ?

OK, I'm @ home atm doing this reply......

As I said, it's very good if you're on the move, not at home! ;)  By the sounds of things it wouldn't download lots of unnecessary pictures, so if you don't have Wifi or 3G where you are then this might be its biggest positive - especially if you have a poor signal.

I personally wouldn't buy the program as it's not what I need, but I'm looking at the positives and negatives to give a fair review.

zwilnik

One big annoying downside of the app is if the site does like a lot of other forums and keeps doing a pop up to tell you that you can buy this app to view the site that you already had no problems viewing anyway. Really bugs me when sites do that (online versions of magazines are the worst offenders).
Can't see much point in the app myself as Safari on the iPhone or iPad is a full browser so there's no problems viewing the forums and if I find myself somewhere that I don't have any sort of data signal I've probably got worse problems than not being able to read the forums ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations