Another BBC error

Started by Graham Walters, July 23, 2016, 08:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Cliff Mitchelmore crossed his fingers on live BBC TV as Apollo 13 splashed down in 1970.

Did it for me. A legend.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Sprintex

Quote from: JRS747 on July 24, 2016, 11:33:18 AM
I've seen (US) dramas where it's a 747 on take off and a 737 when it lands, remarkably clever in flight down sizing.

Dramas can be excused things like this to a certain extent, but it's when "factual" programmes do it that it gets silly. Lost count the number of times on 'Air Crash Investigation' when they're discussing accidents involving a 737, a 707, an Airbus, etc and Clare gets all annoyed that the in-cockpit re-enactment is nearly always a Hawker Siddeley Trident :D

Paul

joe cassidy

Quote from: Bealman on July 24, 2016, 11:48:58 AM
Cliff Mitchelmore crossed his fingers on live BBC TV as Apollo 13 splashed down in 1970.

Did it for me. A legend.

And when they returned successfully he wrote the hit song "Congatulations !" and went on to win the Eurovision song contest.

Truly a renaissance man.

Best regards,

Joe

Bealman

NewportNobby, Joe and Sprintex..

;D ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

woodbury22uk

Nothing new here. Even William Shakespeare (of my locality) included a mechanical clock in Julius Caesar set around 44BC. Everybody knows it was still the era of the sundial wristwatch! :-)
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Agrippa

Quote from: woodbury22uk on July 24, 2016, 12:34:58 PM
Nothing new here. Even William Shakespeare (of my locality) included a mechanical clock in Julius Caesar set around 44BC. Everybody knows it was still the era of the sundial wristwatch! :-)

Solar power !
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

jonclox

Not quite correct------------ it was the age of the wrist held clepsydra running on 2stroke oils
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Agrippa

Off topic but still the Beeb, a few years ago during the  broadcast of the Trooping
of the Colour, the commentator said and now over to Hyde park for a 21 gun
salute by the Kings Troop of the Royal  Arse Hortillery.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

railsquid

Quote from: jonclox on July 24, 2016, 01:55:15 PM
Not quite correct------------ it was the age of the wrist held clepsydra running on 2stroke oils

A condition which is treatable these days thanks to modern antibiotics.

I reckon out there there's a fountain pen forum full of complaints along the lines of "In the latest Downtown Abbey episode Lord Blunderberry signed the document with a pen which was first produced in 1936 with that particular nib colouring!!! OMG!!!!". Having lived in the general real world of commercial pressures for a while, I reckon we'll have to live with faux pas like the 17:38 to Basingstoke departing from plaform 10 when in reality it never departed from a platform higher than 9 3/4, unless the programme in question is specifically about trains, in which case all bets and gloves are ff.

jonclox

Quote from: railsquid on July 24, 2016, 05:43:32 PM

A condition which is treatable these days thanks to modern antibiotics.

I reckon out there there's a fountain pen forum full of complaints along the lines of "In the latest Downtown Abbey episode Lord Blunderberry signed the document with a pen which was first produced in 1936 with that particular nib colouring!!! OMG!!!!". Having lived in the general real world of commercial pressures for a while, I reckon we'll have to live with faux pas like the 17:38 to Basingstoke departing from plaform 10 when in reality it never departed from a platform higher than 9 3/4, unless the programme in question is specifically about trains, in which case all bets and gloves are ff.
Oi! you leave Blastingstroke' its pens and all who sail in them departing from platform 5(Readin only) alone and get back to squiglet watchin
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

woodbury22uk

I see how young Willy Shakespeare got confused now - "2stroke or not 2stroke that is the question".
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Zogbert Splod

... 99, 100, 101, hey, do self tappers count as rivets in this application?  ???  :P
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations