Central island platform conundrum.

Started by Alan Kyte, October 11, 2019, 11:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Kyte

Hi everyone,

Just returned to railway modelling in my late 40's now that I've finally got the space, last time i did this was with OO when I was a teenager, so its been a steep learning curve.

Thought I'd jump in the deep end and make an island platform, something like GCR style, but nowhere specific (despite the fact I live in Rugby), to create that space between my two lines I've used 4th radius for the outer rail with a short piece on the curve, 3rd radius for the inner, so they run in with a gap in between, Metcalfe platform so all is good. (Peco ST 80 track).

Tracked down the GCR central platform building range and two single bridges, but I've hit an embarrassing pickle..see the pictures.

So a little plea for advice for a returning newbie, is there a simple enough track change I can do to give me the ideal width for this island platform, or should I consider an alternative idea for platform arrangements.. Track is glued on cork and ballasted but I will remove if I have to... I'd even considering moving away from the central platform idea if need be..

Help :)

Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

jpendle

Why not just remove the platform ramp then put the steps at the very end of the platform and tweak the bridge to fit?

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Alan, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an island platform. I had one on my layout, but changed it to two platforms on either side, which gave me the opportunity to put in a short bay as well.

As here:

Plus, in reality it is a moot point here with my local station. It is an island platform reached only by a footbridge with like a million steps. The government stubbornly refuse to put in lifts, even though just about every other station in the area has them, even when most of them don't even need them.  :veryangry:

The times I've had to struggle with heavy luggage up and down those steps... and I'm currently on crutches, so you guess my feelings!

However, from a modelling viewpoint, island platforms are an attractive feature, if a little space hungry.

Good luck, and once again, welcome on board!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Platy767

Quote from: jpendle on October 11, 2019, 11:59:34 PM
Why not just remove the platform ramp then put the steps at the very end of the platform and tweak the bridge to fit?

Regards,

John P

Exactly the action to take. Ends up looking just like Belgrave and Birstall.

Have a look at
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/belgrave_and_birstall/

Mark

Platy767

I was looking back through some 1992 photos from Rothley and I think even that platform ended at the bridge. Have a look at the attached pdf with some snaps.

Mark

Alan Kyte

Quote from: Platy767 on October 12, 2019, 02:54:28 AM
I was looking back through some 1992 photos from Rothley and I think even that platform ended at the bridge. Have a look at the attached pdf with some snaps.

Mark

Both Rothley and Belgrave & Birstall would be just the sort of result I'd like, the station staircase is designed to fit into the bridge centre section, so that was the conundrum so to speak (see pic). I was hoping to retain that without having to scratch build a bridge, the GF ones are resin. Kicking myself for not thinking this through before I glued the track and started ballasting :). Beginners learning curve.

These ideas for the stations are great, i'm stuck between adopting for one of those or ripping it all up and seeing if I can plan something else for a 5x3 board.

Thanks.
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

port perran

I suppose the best way to achieve a track change is to put a short straight section on at the bottom end (as per photo) of the outer loop thus increasing the widthe of the gap at the station.
You would, of course, have to insert a shorter straight between the point and the left loop at the station or else that outer track will be right on the edge of the baseboard.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations