Safe transport of stock

Started by Newportnobby, October 07, 2023, 10:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngooner

One big advantage of putting stock in these cases upright is you don't risk grabbing the valve gear or steam locos, or delicate parts of coach or wagon underframes, when getting stuff in and out of the box. Also, make sure the top layer is tight to the underside of the lid as if not stuff can move around more than you might like!

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Timbo66

Yesterday I bought a 4 litre plastic storage box, cut up an old camping mat and made tray inserts. As an added bouns, it cost £5 in total.

Dalteth

Looks like @Newportnobby has solved his issue, but just to add that you can get proprietary versions of these from these guys:
https://www.krcases.com/railways

I've used them before mostly for war games, but also have one of their cardboard cases for some of my n gauge stock.

I think I have in the region of 8 of their boxes, with most being cardboard as it is perfectly sturdy for protecting and transporting delicate models.

I do however have have one of their aluminium cases for if I ever have to transport models and the case may get manhandled.

All their trays are based on the same dimensions, so can swap trays between size and style of boxes.

Because of the number of options though, their website is a bit confusing!

Dorsetmike

I have a long plastic box for which I've made 2 trays that will each hold 5 cassettes that will take up to 5 coach sets, or similar length freight or van trains, the underside of a tray has foam stuck to it to hold the stock in the tray beneath in placed, a further tray has foam inserts to hold individual locos or other stock. With this set up I can quickly transfer the contents of a casstte to a layout. I can also cope with shorter cassettes example instead of a 5 coach long cassette I could fit 2 shorter cassttes  say a 2 coach and a 3 coach, or two short goods or van trains

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

The Q

Err ummm make up case?
Yep I've got one but not with railway stock in it, but a model of a T84 radar that is put on the layout.
SWMBO gave it to me when I was looking for something for the model, it's a near perfect fit.

As for the N gauge layout I've an old small ish DJs case that has legs that live in part of the case. It's about three feet long and a foot wide. I'll replace some of the foam to fit.

For the H0e layout, I'm intending to run all stock off into cassettes that become travelling boxes. They then will go into a box as yet not built.

Newportnobby

Case arrived today (great service off Amazon) and I'm really please to say 2 JB ModelWorld foam inners fit like a finger up yer nose glove. Not only that, two levels can easily be accommodated. Each row will take 2 locos (dependent on their length obviously) and by dint of turning bogies round so the coupling end is reversed, 2 MK1 coaches. Therefore I have 20 lengths to fill should I wish. The case is lockable (2 keys provided) and a shoulder strap is enclosed should you wish it. Room for all sorts of tools and gizmos in the lid, although I only have a Minitrix wheel cleaner and a re-railer in there at present. Happy days.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations