Stove R discussion.

Started by emjaybee, January 24, 2019, 09:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

I've just been reading the NGS journal and newsletter that's popped through the door today.

Apparently the NGS has been trying to canvas opinion on whether to re-run the Stove-R and Snowplough models. Unfortunately they chose the groups.io site to ask this, and got a grand total of 11 responses from 370 members. They're grumbling that there has been a poor response.

Would somebody mind informing them that the groups.io site is probably the reason the response has been poor. I realise that NGS chose that for NGS matters, but if it had been mentioned on the N Gauge Forum, the response would have probably been significantly larger.

I'm not having a dig at the groups.io, just trying to elicit some better feedback for the NGS.

:thankyousign:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

paulprice

Quote from: emjaybee on January 24, 2019, 09:32:51 PM
I've just been reading the NGS journal and newsletter that's popped through the door today.

Apparently the NGS has been trying to canvas opinion on whether to re-run the Stove-R and Snowplough models. Unfortunately they chose the groups.io site to ask this, and got a grand total of 11 responses from 370 members. They're grumbling that there has been a poor response.

Would somebody mind informing them that the groups.io site is probably the reason the response has been poor. I realise that NGS chose that for NGS matters, but if it had been mentioned on the N Gauge Forum, the response would have probably been significantly larger.

I'm not having a dig at the groups.io, just trying to elicit some better feedback for the NGS.

:thankyousign:

I would add another example to my stock

RailGooner

:hmmm: I've always been under the (possibly mis)impression that the groups.io was for discussing constitutional matters and such.

joe cassidy

Is it not the ruins of the erstwhile N Gauge Yahoo group ?

Karhedron

I thought I had signed up to the N Gauge io group but I must have been mistaken because I certainly haven't seen anything about it.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

crewearpley40

believe the bluebell railway has one as does the buckinghamshire railway centre :

https://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/lms_33014.htm

joe cassidy

If the NGS do re-run the Stove R it should be priced lower than the Farish 50' full brake.

Best regards;

Joe

nookfield

Quote from: RailGooner on January 24, 2019, 09:44:14 PM
:hmmm: I've always been under the (possibly mis)impression that the groups.io was for discussing constitutional matters and such.

It is to discuss anything related to the N Gauge Society.

nookfield

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 24, 2019, 09:48:04 PM
Is it not the ruins of the erstwhile N Gauge Yahoo group ?

No. That is a separate group on groups.io

N Gauge Society is NGS
former Yahoo N Gauge group is ngauge

Also the JMRI yahoo group moved to groups.io as is jmriusers

nookfield

Quote from: Karhedron on January 24, 2019, 09:49:37 PM
I thought I had signed up to the N Gauge io group but I must have been mistaken because I certainly haven't seen anything about it.

It depends on your subscription settings whether you receive anything.

emjaybee

Following on from my o.p. I thought I'd have a look at the original question as asked on the groups.io site.

I did eventually manage to find it, but in doing so realised what a god-awful format that forum is. It's no wonder they got a limited response, I've seen Rubik's cube which are more intuitive to use!

For the sake of the NGS and the Shop Manager, please make representations to him if you'd like a re-run of the Stove-R.

As an aside, please also would the NGS please put surveys like that on here as well, somewhere where a larger number of Society members frequent. Who knows, it could even help swell NGS membership.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Richard G Dallimore

I personally hate the format of those forums and have given up on them and stick to here and RMWeb. I think another run would be a good idea along with some chassis for kit builders.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

thebrighton

I was registered on the io site but, like already said, it's awful to use and find things as are all io sites. Nothing much of interest anyway so I left the group and concentrate on the more user friendly ones such as this.

njee20

Yep, I also found it horrendous and very rarely visit. Bit weird to complain they didn't have the interest without giving it any real publicity, even if that is their chosen forum, they must realise the readership is low.

red_death

I actually quite like the groups.io format (remember it is essentially a replacement for what became Yahoo Groups ie it is an email list with website tacked on).  Searching is pretty easy and the threads on the web seem to work better than the Yahoo version.

Some interesting stuff on the ngauge group and the ngs group does what it was intended to do ie to take away stuff about the NGS from here or the ngauge list (some people complained about NGS members washing dirty linen in public).

You can't please everybody.

Cheers Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations