The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Howlett

Nice to hear that its still there ! I was drinking there in the mid 70's is it still Devenish ?. Move to happy thread..?.I see you are in the birthplace of 6X , now I'm getting homesick or maybe just suffering from a severe lack of good old real ale only lager here ok , stay in Angry mode.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Lawrence

You'll be waxing lyrical about the Brunel rooms next  :smiley-laughing:
I stayed in Toothill for a while so used to frequent the Toot & Whistle, then there were Friday afternoons in the pub in Hilmarton (don't recall the name) then I moved out to Clyffe Pypard and (occasionally) worked and drank in the Goddard Arms - proper ale & a skittle alley  :beers: ;D

Calnefoxile

Why is it so goddamned dificult and expensive to pay for anything without the use of a Credit or Debit card  >:( >:(

Managed to win some Dapol Cargowaggons from Rails of Sheffield off of Fleebay the other day and as I don't have a Credit/Debit card or Paypal account, I had to use a Postal Order, the flaming Post Office are now charging 12.5% for the privilege!!!!!!!

When everyone is moaning about personal debt, I'm trying to do without the evil Credit Cards and finding that it's just to expensive to live without one, and when you try to buy something I can't get credit, because my Credit Score is low, because I don't have a Credit Card AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Can I just point out to these idiots, that Cash is just as good as plastic and in fact was around long before Credit or Debit cards were.

Rant mode off!!!!!

Regards

Neal.

Calnefoxile

Quote from: Lawrence on January 30, 2012, 11:39:12 AM
You'll be waxing lyrical about the Brunel rooms next  :smiley-laughing:
I stayed in Toothill for a while so used to frequent the Toot & Whistle, then there were Friday afternoons in the pub in Hilmarton (don't recall the name) then I moved out to Clyffe Pypard and (occasionally) worked and drank in the Goddard Arms - proper ale & a skittle alley  :beers: ;D

Lawrence,

The pub in Hilmarton is The Duke Hotel.

Cheers

Neal.

longbridge

Quote from: Calnefoxile on January 30, 2012, 11:41:53 AM
Why is it so goddamned dificult and expensive to pay for anything without the use of a Credit or Debit card  >:( >:(

Managed to win some Dapol Cargowaggons from Rails of Sheffield off of Fleebay the other day and as I don't have a Credit/Debit card or Paypal account, I had to use a Postal Order, the flaming Post Office are now charging 12.5% for the privilege!!!!!!!

When everyone is moaning about personal debt, I'm trying to do without the evil Credit Cards and finding that it's just to expensive to live without one, and when you try to buy something I can't get credit, because my Credit Score is low, because I don't have a Credit Card AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Can I just point out to these idiots, that Cash is just as good as plastic and in fact was around long before Credit or Debit cards were.

Rant mode off!!!!!

Regards

Neal.

Cant speak for back home but here in Oz a family member tried to apply for a credit card and couldn't get one because she didn't have a drivers licence or passport  :thumbsdown:

Seems to me that your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't  :thumbsdown:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Tackleberry

Being patronised!!!!!!!
I put up with for the last 2 years from someone at work, finally had enough of being talked down to, being patronised and made to feel small by him so i snapped......

Sprintex

Quote from: Calnefoxile on January 30, 2012, 11:41:53 AM

Rant mode off!!!!!

Regards

Neal.

Can understand not having a Credit Card to avoid personal debt but you can't run up debt with a Debit Card so why not have one? At least then if the money isn't in the account, you can't have whatever it is you're trying to buy  ;) 

Eventually everything will be pay-by-card anyway and cash will become pretty much non-existant.

Paul

scotsoft

I had to apply for a credit card so I could hire a car as they would not accept a debit card.  I was not keen as I am an impulse buyer, but I find I use it to buy stuff and (so far) I have paid it off every month in full.

It must be the advancing years that has allowed some sense to creep in, but it only shows on the outside, inside there still lurks a mad teenage jock  :smiley-laughing:

longbridge

Don't know what the situation is back home but here in Oz you can go to the Post Office and buy a Visa or Mastercard with various values up to $250, a $100 card costs about $105 and gives you $100 credit.

This is a great way to buy online as it does not connect with your personal accounts.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Trainfish

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on January 30, 2012, 10:42:21 AM
Nice to hear that its still there ! I was drinking there in the mid 70's is it still Devenish ?. Move to happy thread..?.I see you are in the birthplace of 6X , now I'm getting homesick or maybe just suffering from a severe lack of good old real ale only lager here ok , stay in Angry mode.

[happy mode]The Glue Pot is now Hopback with an ex-Wadworths landlord[/happy mode]
[not so happy mode]I must confess I'm not a fan of Wadworths beer even though up until 6 years ago I lived next to the brewery. I'm now near the Moonrakers pub but that's another long story[/not so happy mode]
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: oldrailbug on January 30, 2012, 08:10:04 PM
Don't know what the situation is back home but here in Oz you can go to the Post Office and buy a Visa or Mastercard with various values up to $250, a $100 card costs about $105 and gives you $100 credit.

This is a great way to buy online as it does not connect with your personal accounts.

What a damned good idea, but as far as I know not available in the UK :(

StufromEGDL

Quote from: Trainfish on January 30, 2012, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: Jerry Howlett on January 30, 2012, 10:42:21 AM

[happy mode]The Glue Pot is now Hopback with an ex-Wadworths landlord[/happy mode]
[not so happy mode]I must confess I'm not a fan of Wadworths beer even though up until 6 years ago I lived next to the brewery. I'm now near the Moonrakers pub but that's another long story[/not so happy mode]

Not that far away from me then.....
Just down the road in Upper Stratton!!!

Later;
STU from EGDL
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Kipper

I have a Mastercard, issued by my utilities supplier (Utility Warehouse), which I can load up as needed. This also can be used at certain listed retailers to give a discount. The great thing about it is that, if stolen, the theives cannot rack up a huge bill for me.

Newportnobby

I have very fond memories of slurping way too much 6X - but that was in Bristol and Bath. Dunno whether the Smiles brewery is still going but that was a great quaffing ale too :beers:

Trainfish

Quote from: StufromEGDL on January 30, 2012, 08:35:35 PM
Not that far away from me then.....
Just down the road in Upper Stratton!!!

Later;
STU from EGDL

Sorry Stu, not that Moonrakers, the REAL Moonrakers in Devizes.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations