A4 Mallard Train formation

Started by nookfield, April 11, 2019, 01:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nookfield

I've just purchased a Dapol A4 Valanced Mallard 4468 Garter Blue LNER. (a bit of an impulse purchase) 

I know very little about steam engines and would like to know what coaches I should purchase to create a realistic full length train. I assume I would need Dapol teak coaches but I am not sure what combination of these I would need.

Also what coaching stock did it pull when it was restored to working order in 1985

Thanks in advance

Colin

nookfield

I have found this picture on flickr of Mallard on the South Yorkshire Pullman in November 1986. Can anybody identify the coaches used.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/5938499394

Thanks very much

Colin

RailGooner

Quote from: nookfield on April 11, 2019, 01:06:58 PM
I have found this picture on flickr of Mallard on the South Yorkshire Pullman in November 1986. Can anybody identify the coaches used.

Thanks very much

Colin

All look like Mk1s to me, with some of them being Pullmans. I'm no expert mind. :beers:

Karhedron

Quote from: nookfield on April 11, 2019, 01:01:38 PM
I know very little about steam engines and would like to know what coaches I should purchase to create a realistic full length train. I assume I would need Dapol teak coaches but I am not sure what combination of these I would need.

Dapol Teaks are the right sort of coaches although in practice, you wouldn't necessarily have seen matching rakes of them. A4 Pacifics were powerful as well as fast and could often be found hauling long trains. The rake below from the 1938 timetable is typical.

corridor third brake
corridor third
corridor composite lockers
corridor third
buffet lounge
corridor third
restaurant third
kitchen car
restaurant first
corridor first
corridor third
luggage van

I don't know if you can fit a 12-coach rake on your layout so you could always trim it down a bit. The Restaurant and Kitchen cars are not available ready-to-run, just the buffet so they can be dropped. The Luggage van is available and an N Gauge Society kit but not RTR either.

Dapol only make the 1st, 3rd, brake and buffet as far as I am aware. You could make something approximately right like the following.

corridor third brake
corridor third
corridor third
corridor third
corridor third
buffet
corridor first
corridor third
corridor third brake

This is 9 coaches which is a bit more manageable. You could drop a 3rd or two if you want to get it shorter. I don't know what space you have available. Here are some photos from the 1930s showing the sort of length trains these locos were hauling.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

mr bachmann

one thing of note what ever train you model  - if it leave Kings Cross for Scotland corridor's to the left .

RailGooner

Quote from: mr bachmann on April 11, 2019, 07:57:45 PM
one thing of note what ever train you model  - if it leave Kings Cross for Scotland corridor's to the left .

Interesting. Why was that Mr B?

martyn

Reply #5;

So that the compartments were on the right-or east-side and then passengers had the best sea views north of Newcastle....

Martyn

Dr Al

Quote from: nookfield on April 11, 2019, 01:06:58 PM

Thanks very much

Colin

The first few coaches in that train are:

Mk1 BCK Brake Maroon - Bachmann Farish make one
Mk1 BCK Choc/cream - Bachmann Farish club model similar to this
Mk1 Pullman - Farish again
Mk1 SO or SK in choc/cream - Farish again, though nearest would be a western region choc/cream one
Mk1 Buffet car in Intercity - Farish

The rest are a similar mix of Mk1 SO/SK/BCK/Pullman, but it's difficult to see. A representative train could be made up with Farish stock however.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

mr bachmann

Quote from: martyn on April 11, 2019, 08:22:43 PM
Reply #5;

So that the compartments were on the right-or east-side and then passengers had the best sea views north of Newcastle....

Martyn

that is correct , i know for LNER days but was it the same during BR times ? (apart for open Mk 1's)

nookfield

Thank you very much for all the useful information

best

Colin

Cutter

If you want to recreate the record-breaking 1938 train Recreation21 now offers carriage bodies for the dynamometer car and all of the Coronation set vehicles as 3D prints from Shapeways marketplace. Three of the Coronation articulated twins were used on that run--6 of the 8 carriages. If you want to model the whole Coronation train the observation car is available also.

JayM481

Those Shapeways prints are OO. Have you asked if he does them in N? The OO ones are £150 a pair :goggleeyes:

Cutter

The prints are available in 1:148 N and can be found if you use the filter for 1:160--the tags are not granular enough for two N scales. Recreation21 stuff is available in multiple scales including 00 and TT as well as both Ns. I really like the bogie stock prints, but find I can't fit wheels to smaller items with chassis and axle boxes printed.

JayM481

Thanks. I had a hard time finding anything while on the Shapeways site but his own site, http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/, is fairly easy to navigate. I'd never seen it before. Would you do a review or tutorial, since you have some experience with his stock?

RailGooner

Quote from: Cutter on April 18, 2019, 11:01:47 AM
The prints are available in 1:148 N and can be found if you use the filter for 1:160--the tags are not granular enough for two N scales.

The Recreation21 Store on Shapeways has 1/148 N gauge amongst the menu (down left edge of page). Quick link to 1:148 products. All 1:148 product codes begin 0-148.

Considering the number of products and scales offered, Recreation21 is an easy to navigate store IMHO. :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations