Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PennineWagons

Quote from: Jeff_W on August 09, 2022, 06:39:07 PM
Just need to figure out how to arrange the buildings

The Lyddle End coal mine buildings are all models of the Hope Pit buildings at the National Coal Mining Museum for England, which is at Caphouse Colliery near Wakefield in Yorkshire. A bit of creative Googling will get you plenty of photos of the real things and how they're arranged on the site. They're all there! Walking round them in real life somehow seems a bit weird when you've got models of them on your layout.
PW

gc4946

Quote from: PennineWagons on August 10, 2022, 12:22:32 AM

The Lyddle End coal mine buildings are all models of the Hope Pit buildings at the National Coal Mining Museum for England, which is at Caphouse Colliery near Wakefield in Yorkshire. A bit of creative Googling will get you plenty of photos of the real things and how they're arranged on the site. They're all there! Walking round them in real life somehow seems a bit weird when you've got models of them on your layout.
PW

I visited the museum sone years ago and went underground
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Bealman

Quote from: captainelectra on August 09, 2022, 08:14:20 PM
Couldn't resist this piece of nostalgia. Gradually building up an N Gauge Heritage rake with a Peco NGS van and the NGF 10 Year open wagon.

Oooh, I like that! I'm keen on that sort of thing too, and have a number of souvenir wagons. I haven't seen that one before, though!  :thumbsup:

It must be pretty vintage - got the early U-bend coupling.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Safety Engineer

Railmail started me in n gauge, our first house was in Watford and to go shopping we had to pass their shop. In the window was a minitrix 2-6-0 which I drooled over, shortly after my wife treated me to it along with some wagons.
Some 45 years later I'm still into n gauge.
Martin

PennineWagons

Quote from: gc4946 on August 10, 2022, 07:05:40 AM

PW

It's a good museum and well worth a visit. The underground trip is a real experience! Not recommended for anyone with claustrophobia though.
They've also got a few rail vehicles on the site, including a Hunslet shunter which I believe was one of the ones measured and photographed by the NGS people when they were researching their N Gauge version.
PW

Newportnobby

Quote from: captainelectra on August 09, 2022, 08:14:20 PM
Couldn't resist this piece of nostalgia. Gradually building up an N Gauge Heritage rake with a Peco NGS van and the NGF 10 Year open wagon.

@captainelectra Being a forum 'veteran', shall we say, dare we assume you have one of these as well?

Jeff_W

Quote from: PennineWagons on August 10, 2022, 12:16:53 PM
Quote from: gc4946 on August 10, 2022, 07:05:40 AM

PW

It's a good museum and well worth a visit. The underground trip is a real experience! Not recommended for anyone with claustrophobia though.
They've also got a few rail vehicles on the site, including a Hunslet shunter which I believe was one of the ones measured and photographed by the NGS people when they were researching their N Gauge version.
PW

Thanks for the info! I'd wondered if mines/loading areas in the UK were any different than in the US... I've actually been to an old tipple here in the US, one you can ride to via train to check out:

I have one of the coal mine kits built up that looks similar to this but I am saving it for an eastern US layout...and I feel like it's a bit too big for my UK wagons.

Bigmac

i had a bit of luck this week--an Ebay "buy it now" offer i couldnt resist--even more so with a 10% off coupon--i had never taken any notice of those before.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284926303977

and its a minter--looks like it has never been out of the pristine box.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Foxhound

A friend of a friend was selling off lots of 66s and I finally gave in and bought one....
This is Dapol's 66181, an early model but a good runner.

Rob and Becky (artistic director)

jmupton2000

Osborn's Models Catfish wagons from their new 3D printed range arrived this morning:

Lose the awful brown plastic wheels, add some weight and they should be good to go.

exmouthcraig

A successful but somewhat expensive trip to TINGS this morning, got to enjoy a good chat with Mr Tilston of N Brass Locos fame in the queue waiting to get in.

Micheal and Maurice of @osborns sacrificed a bit too much time chatting about Scanias and liveries

@njee20 FINALLY got to enjoy a 10minute chat with Nick and collecting some more of his magnificent 3d printing that he's designed and printed for me after sending him some not very good drawings!!! Clearly a magician at his craft!!

And to top it off I got the thumbs up from the good lady to spend a good amount with Cheltenham Model Centre and treat myself to 10 of EFE Rails JIAs,

Someone mentioned that the light weathering having a strange green tinge and that is very noticeable which I'll have to try brown up bit they are magnificent wagons, the heavily weathered ones don't photograph too well but the livery is very noticeable and they appear much nicer to the eye then the camera.

njee20

Great to finally meet, Craig!

I was comparatively abstemious, I bought a handful of containers from C=Rail, and this lovely 66 repaint by Rainbow Railways, who are using UV Printing now for their livery elements.

exmouthcraig

@njee20  :censored: I wish I'd bought one as well. It looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!

If your good lady kicks off about the credit card bill I'll take it off your hands!!!

Graham

going today, hopefully one of these are left when I get there.

Jeff_W

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations