DJModels Ltd Press release - 18th October 2015

Started by Caz, October 18, 2015, 11:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 18, 2015, 10:33:49 PM
Feel free to PM Richard. I'm sure he'd be grateful to hear from you and anyone else. - Tank
Yep, I'm sure, but that aint the point of a forum is it ?  :laugh3:  :laugh3:

Tank

The forum is a community where we can communicate.  The Private Message button does that.   :P ;D

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Tank on October 18, 2015, 10:58:59 PM
The forum is a community where we can communicate.  The Private Message button does that.   :P ;D
;D
but I dont know him,
so being English (sort of) I would not presume to inflict myself personally upon him (and thereby deprive you all of my wisdom !)
:laugh: :bounce:
where's the wicked emoticon gone when one needs it ?

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Only Me on October 18, 2015, 11:30:04 PM
Unfortunately I guess business is business... Ford and bmw dont share ideas or info in the next release, neither will any smaller cottage industry.
Sadly I think it is so but rather 'personalities are personalities'
we are hardly comprable to Ford and BMW !

In such a small world as ours there is no room for attempts at exclusivity ?
I would have thought there would be mutual benifit if a common mechanism,
could be, , ,
oh dream on Malcolm.

I am going to embargo myself from reading any further 'stuff' till middle next year when there may be a prospect of actually buying summat ! (what an exersize in pointlessness that'all was :) )

robert shrives

Well,
A brave list to bring to market, I too have Harris and NGS Kits for the models that Dave has listed so cannot see me spending straight away, Still waiting on 17 and 23 but understand cashflow arguement.
However the Road van is a great project and certainly as a rotting static will look good in a siding, never new Old Oak/ Elm had one site !!

I look forward to seeing something arrive.
Robert

Newportnobby

Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 18, 2015, 10:22:58 PM

My second reaction is, if there is so little interest in a Kickstarter Mermaid,,  is this because of a reluctance to 'put up in front' and a suspicion of 'things internetty'.

Not sure you're right on that, Malcolm, as in any such project there is no 'putting up front' until the target has been achieved and the item will be produced, purely an expression of interest.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: newportnobby on October 19, 2015, 09:34:11 AM
Not sure you're right on that,

there is no 'putting up front'
Yes, no, but  :D ,  you are right I agree, but I was speculating on how other punters might think and  I did give an 'or' ! :)

and yes, what you say is worth saying again  :thumbsup:

Nevertheless, something on the shelf when you potter about in a shop can have an attraction almost as great as the Strong Nuclear Force  ;D

Ben A

Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 18, 2015, 10:22:58 PM
My second reaction is, if there is so little interest in a Kickstarter Mermaid,,  is this because of a reluctance to 'put up in front' and a suspicion of 'things internetty'.

Hello Malcolm,

That's a good point.

The Pendolino succeeded (albeit post Kickstarter) because enough people had the vision to see that it was the only way.  They had to show a degree of faith in order to see the production of a model that would otherwise simply not have seen the light of day, for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Those who helped us forward now have not only the joy of a new model to look forward to, but also the knowledge, whenever they look at it in the future, that it would not have happened without their personal involvement. 

The same holds true for the Revolution TEA tankers, which are now in tooling as well.

For the Class 320/321 EMUs and 21/29 diesels we are at a similar position - they just won't happen unless people decide to work with us.

This is a new way of working, and I appreciate it will not be to everyone's taste.  Unfortunately, for some items considered niche, it is either do it together ourselves or go without.

The upside is that by using the internet together we can make things happen that we actually want, rather than what the manufacturers decide we want.

The downside is that for crowd-sourced models, due to the nature of the funding method, there will never be that "browsing in the shop" moment - you have to take the opportunity now, or you miss out.

cheers

Ben A.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Ben A on October 19, 2015, 12:16:02 PM
Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 18, 2015, 10:22:58 PM'put up in front' and a suspicion of 'things internetty'.
either do it together ourselves or go without.
Indeed so Ben, very well said,,, heads and knocking together are other words that come to mind !

may I backtrack a bit, to what NPN picked up on, I was not just meaning money up front, there is the small matter of making a decision so far ahead, indeed some of us may not be here when some of these projects come to maturity !! Oh, praps I should put that in the "Jokes" section ?  ???

Newportnobby

Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 19, 2015, 12:35:41 PM
Quote from: Ben A on October 19, 2015, 12:16:02 PM
Quote from: MalcolmAL on October 18, 2015, 10:22:58 PM'put up in front' and a suspicion of 'things internetty'.
either do it together ourselves or go without.
Indeed so Ben, very well said,,, heads and knocking together are other words that come to mind !

may I backtrack a bit, to what NPN picked up on, I was not just meaning money up front, there is the small matter of making a decision so far ahead, indeed some of us may not be here when some of these projects come to maturity !! Oh, praps I should put that in the "Jokes" section ?  ???

With a double by pass operation looming, please don't go there, Malcolm :stop:
I want to see my Poppylino before I cark it

MalcolmInN

Eeeek !
yes I was forgetting !

Enters plea of   in mitigation :-
note I said "some of us"
not the classic William Hague-ism, "some of you" !

Counts heart attacks and raises you a few ;)

Steven B

Great news that we'll have a few more RTR wagons; I could find a home for several of them, although like many others, I've built kit versions of three out of the four models (Ian Stoate Mermaid, Parkside Turbot and NGS Shark).

Interestingly the RRP of the Mermaid is £3 more than the single price of a wagon if Richard/CRS's Kickstarter project had gone ahead.

I wish DJM all the best in getting these models in the shops. However, given the slow progress of the Clayton, Baby Deltic and J94 I'd won't be holding my breath.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Great news, I'll be ordering about 10 mermaids and 2 sharks when they show up in the stores.    :thumbsup:

Jamie

acko22

Some interesting announcements there!! Albeit only 2 that tickle my fancies the Shark and Turbot.

Just a question of actually seeing some thing physical and not just some CAD pictures. Although if they look as good in real life as they do in the CAD pictures then that's another addition to the get list!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Roy L S

Definitely a few Mermaids coming my way in due course plus a Shark or two (rude not to really). They will go nicely with my Dapol Dogfish and Grampus PW wagons plus my NGS Shark (which will doubtless be utterly outclassed!).

Just need a tool van then (Road van maybe?) to make a self contained PW yard micro-layout a rather tasty prospect.

Perhaps we could in due course persuade Ben and Mike to look at a Y1/Y3 Sentinel as a RevolutioN project to provide a suitable PW shunter - I wonder how many people would subscribe to one of those little beauties???

http://www.lner.info/locos/Y/y1y3.php

Thinks Lowestoft Sleeper Works....and sigh....he dreams on...

Roy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations