NGS present day commissions

Started by Ben A, December 15, 2013, 02:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben A

N Gauge Society members should be receiving their Journals about now, and will see on p7 the announcement of a proposed modern image commission.

This is an effort to answer criticism that the NGS's RTR projects have been too biased towards the BR steam/diesel transition era.

The options are:

1) Mk1 Pullman PSP 99347 in West Coast maroon.

(Photo courtesy Mike Wallington)

2) JJA Autoballaster GERS12904 in Carillion maroon/cream

(Photo courtesy Robert Stevens)

3) Mk2a BSO 977337 in Network Rail yellow

(Photo courtesy Andy Jupe)

4) Mk2 TSO 5350 in Riviera trains chocolate and cream.

(Photo courtesy Hugh Llewellyn)

Whichever model reaches 350 pre orders will be commissioned; if none reach this number then the project will not proceed.  No monies are being sought at this time; just expressions of interest.  Details of how to indicate which you would buy are in the journal.  The deadline is Feb 28th at which date we will collate all the data and see if any models have reached the threshold.

If this project is a success then it may be that others can be forthcoming, however in the past N Gauge Limited run commissions have proved to be relatively poor sellers compared to OO.  Any questions please ask!

cheers

Ben A.

porkie

Wow.
I for one would happily purchase a few mk2 coaches as these will compliment my fraganset 31's
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

H

Personally I'd have preferred to see more complex (and more difficult to DIY apply liveries) such as Network SouthEast to existing models in the choice, rather than, for example, the all yellow Network Rail Mk2 coach which would be relatively easy for a modeller/enthusiast to achieve themselves. I'd certainly prefer to have a bash at that myself (if I want one) rather than paying what will probably be a premium price for a 'limited edition' version.

But, nonetheless, good luck in the venture.

H.

Tank

Quote from: H on December 15, 2013, 03:08:42 PM
Personally I'd have preferred to see more complex (and more difficult to DIY apply liveries) such as Network SouthEast to existing models in the choice.....

I'd have certainly bought 20 or more NSE Mk2's!  :)  I'm sure others will enjoy the choices though, so let's hope that this is a success. :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Too late for my era, but I wish the NGS great success in bring one or more of these to market.
If you want one please ensure you express your interest :thumbsup:

H

Quote from: Tank on December 15, 2013, 03:19:18 PM

I'd have certainly bought 20 or more NSE Mk2's!

Yep, could have bunged me down for double figures NSE Mk2s - that would have been 10% of the 350 required . . . .

Sigh.

H.

mr bachmann

well , they could'nt deliver the last commision in November , as for the 4 offerings - what about a railtour support coach ?

Then theres the add for new members in the magazings , making it look like you are getting a (free) exclusive commision on joining .

EtchedPixels

#4 is also pretty much correct for the 'Shakespeare Express' rake (four of them plus a matching brake). Handy for anyone modelling Snow Hill  :drool:

The NSE comment is an interesting one - perhaps someone on the forum could collate NSE interest and see if the numbers also add up for that from members (or those willing to join to get them...)

Ben - I assume if someone came to you with 350 indications of members interest for an NSE Mark 2 TSO you'd consider it as a project too ?

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

H

Quote from: mr bachmann on December 15, 2013, 03:36:49 PM

well , they could'nt deliver the last commision in November , as for the 4 offerings - what about a railtour support coach ?

That's probably a little unfair - the failed to arrive in November model was a brand new all new RTR project (subject to all the current Chinese production issues) whereas this project is a simple (hopefully) re-liverying of existing models commission. It's not as though there needs to be CAD, proving, EP and a range of livery samples developed and produced.

H.

H

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 15, 2013, 03:47:07 PM

The NSE comment is an interesting one - perhaps someone on the forum could collate NSE interest and see if the numbers also add up for that from members (or those willing to join to get them...)

You think there may be more than just me and Tank?  :D

H.

scotsoft

perhaps someone on the forum could collate NSE interest and see if the numbers also add up for that from members (or those willing to join to get them...)

Alan

Any member is allowed to set up a poll, perhaps that might be the way forward to judge membership interest  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Ben A

Hello all,

To answer some of the points raised...

This is very much a "testing the water" exercise.  We took the decision (after consulting on the forums) to produce these vehicles because, even with the EWS liveried versions, most of our RTR items aren't really right for the present-day modeller.

The vehicles involved were also selected on the basis that they can reasonably run anywhere; whereas the NSE Mk2 - which I agree would make a nice model - is more "region specific."

The "steam support coach" is an excellent idea but most appear to be fairly standard Mk1 BCKs and BSKs in accurate heritage liveries and we felt that as such vehicles are already available (albeit with a different running number) there didn't seem to be much point; at least compared to the vehicles we have selected.   There is/are Mk2 support coaches in plain maroon that might be possible in the future (as long as the correct type), while the SLOA BCK in Pullman livery would be as serious contender IMO.

As to prices, I think most people would feel that NGS products are pitched at a fair price and we certainly don't charge "premium" prices.  We do not know what the sale price of this model will be yet, as it has not been ordered, but it will be fair and at around the same prices as the standard vehicles from retailers.

Delivery schedules are very hard to manage; to me it's something of a miracle that until now we've been able to deliver every RTR model on time!  We actually aren't publicising delivery dates any more as it's almost impossible to control; the Collett has been delayed for various reasons but primarily they are staff changes at Dapol and a determination to ensure the CAD drawings are right before metal is cut.

If this project is supported then I see no reason why the next commission shouldn't be something from the transition era, equally any NGS member (Alan?) could gather support for (say) the Mk2 in NSE livery and if 350 genuine expressions of interest are achieved then I see no reason this model could not be commissioned.  The "350" threshold is imposed because that is the level at which the NGS will not to lose money; we are determined not to take any risks with these items.

At the end of the day it's up to NGS members; if modern image (!) enthusiasts want these items enough then the NGS is in a position to make it happen; if not then that's fair enough!

cheers

Ben A.

H

Quote from: Ben A on December 15, 2013, 04:15:08 PM

The vehicles involved were also selected on the basis that they can reasonably run anywhere; whereas the NSE Mk2 - which I agree would make a nice model - is more "region specific."

The NSE 'region' was very extensive covering much of the passenger traffic in England and the coaches themselves (in NSE livery) managed to get to just about all points of the UK.

Quote from: Ben A on December 15, 2013, 04:15:08 PM

As to prices, I think most people would feel that NGS products are pitched at a fair price and we certainly don't charge "premium" prices.  We do not know what the sale price of this model will be yet, as it has not been ordered, but it will be fair and at around the same prices as the standard vehicles from retailers.

The major retailers offer new stock at discounted from list/RR prices - if the price is equivalent to that (around £18 each for a Mk2 coach from MRD and Hattons) then that's fair enough, but anything much above I would consider premium pricing.

H.

Ben A

Hello H,

I don't know much about the sectorisation era as I wasn't really "into" trains then, but I'd be interested in whether others feel that NSE coaches were seen regularly "across the UK."  My own impression was that they were limited to South of England loco hauled trains from Waterloo, but I am happy to be corrected.

As to price, I think anything that is above RRP is premium priced, and I can say for sure that these models will definitely be priced at RRP or below, so non-premium.

cheers

Ben A.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: H on December 15, 2013, 03:56:24 PM

You think there may be more than just me and Tank?  :D

H.

No I'm calling your bluff  :P
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations