NGS present day commissions

Started by Ben A, December 15, 2013, 02:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bees

Hi all

I totally agree, all the most sellable classes are covered.

This is why I think the best proposition would be to produce MkII TSO's  in blue/grey, Inter City or NSE as these come up few and far between on eBay. A rake would run with 4 or 5 in, and in some cases more!

BSOs and RMB's are relatively easy to get though!

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Ben A

Hi Mark,

It's no secret that for a newly tooled model the manufacturers require a far larger order than the 500 they'll accept for a dedicated livery.

When we launched the Queen Mary brake van, for example, we had 500 each in 6 different liveries.

As to new locos, I had hoped we'd have the production Deltics by now, plus 37/4s, Dellner 57s, 31s and CCTs. All these have been shown as tooled samples and I'm surprised at least some of these aren't already available. 

Cheers

Ben A. 

EtchedPixels

Quote from: bees on January 24, 2014, 06:49:00 PM
Hi all

I totally agree, all the most sellable classes are covered.

And in many cases still sitting in the shops. Dapol and Bachmann had a silly (but perhaps commercially necessary) battle to be the one who "owned" the various modern image classes, and IMHO they've between them flooded the market _and_ still have multi-year backlogs in Dapol's case (pacer anyone ?)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Ben A

Hello Steven,

Just once more, the initial commission is aimed at those modelling the present day.  Therefore NSE, IC or B/G are not suitable. 

Also, since Farish have already produced the Mk2 in B/G and almost certainly will again I think that would have been a fairly unimaginative choice.

The Mk2s TSOs are lovely models of course, which is why we are offering one in chocolate and cream livery.

cheers

Ben A.

red_death

I think Alan's point about flooding the market is incredibly relevant - we used to get what one new model per year from Farish?

To make matters worse batch production often means boom or bust.  Nothing you want for months and then lots at once - I know one could save and hold money ready, but when you have varied interests it is often the case that it isn't just models competing for your pounds...

Cheers, Mike

Cooper

I've put in my preference today but it's only one vehicle i'm afraid.  :-[ I'd be interested in a rake of charter vehicles of some sort if I thought I could produce matching vehicles to an acceptable standard.

Ben, if you ever consider doing Mk 2 TSOs in B&G or NSE i'd be in for around 8 or so as I need a couple of rakes for the next big idea.  ;)

Ben A

Hello all,

Mike:  Yes, agreed.  The US business model of once-only limited runs is something that we are having to get used to, but it seems to be taking time.  The NGS's RTR scheme has worked in a similar way and matches to some extent the example of manufacturers like Rapido Trains (who appear to be about to enter the UK market in OO, and possibly in N) by demanding pre-orders up front before tooling starts.  The customer is expected to have faith that the product will be good enough.

Cooper:  Thanks for registering an interest.  I am not sure I follow the point about charter trains though; most of the stock required (basically Mk1s in BR heritage liveries) is already available RTR to Blue Riband standard.  You might wish to add a West Coast decal to the right hand end of the maroon Mk1s to run with the all-maroon Pullman but that's about it.  Or am I missing something?

cheers

Ben A.

bees

Quote from: Cooper on January 24, 2014, 11:45:26 PM
Ben, if you ever consider doing Mk 2 TSOs in B&G or NSE i'd be in for around 8 or so as I need a couple of rakes for the next big idea.  ;)

This is the point I'm trying to make, I would be up for 10 myself (when SWMBO allows ;-) hehe) , thats 18 off 2 people!
Ben, I would be surprised if Farish did another run of MkII's, they concentrate on loco's because there is a bigger profit margin! ....and if they did do another run, they would produce just as many BSO's as TSO's like what they appeared to do last time. If a TSO was to be brought out, supply a transfer sheet and add your own numbers, most members of NGS, I would assume, have the confidence to fit there own transfers. If they don't, It might encourage them to try and build it!
After all Blue/Grey MkII's ran for 20+ years across the full BR network.

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Richard G Dallimore

This is the point I'm trying to make, I would be up for 10 myself (when SWMBO allows ;-) hehe) , thats 18 off 2 people!
Ben, I would be surprised if Farish did another run of MkII's, they concentrate on loco's because there is a bigger profit margin! ....and if they did do another run, they would produce just as many BSO's as TSO's like what they appeared to do last time. If a TSO was to be brought out, supply a transfer sheet and add your own numbers, most members of NGS, I would assume, have the confidence to fit there own transfers. If they don't, It might encourage them to try and build it!
After all Blue/Grey MkII's ran for 20+ years across the full BR network.

Steven
[/quote]

Hi Steven that would be a good idea a TSO in B/G with no number and a sheet of transfers, I would have several for my class 50 to drag around. Could then do the exact train that ran through Cornwall.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Ben A

Hello Steven

Just to recap:

1)  This commission is about a present-day prototype.  It's pointless wish-listing anything else at the moment.

2)  Bachmann will ONLY supply fully finished models.  They refuse to supply unlettered or un-numbered models.  They have been asked many times.

3)  A blue-grey TSO may well sell (though it may be that initial demand has been almost satisfied) but the manufacturer knows that and will almost undoubtedly produce more in good time.  The whole point of the NGS commissions is to use the Society's clout and established customer base to drive forward something that they'd be reluctant to take a chance on.

Incidentally, I disagree that Bachmann are only interested in producing locomotives - their rolling stock range is huge and includes three types of bogie coal hopper, cement and stone hoppers, steel carriers, Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 coaches, etc etc.   

cheers

Ben A.

red_death

Hello folks

Just a quick update following Sunday's NGS Committee discussions.  We have decided the following:

- the initial period of expressing an interest in any of the 4 models will be extended to 31 March 2014.
- after 31 March the two least popular choices will be discarded and NGS members can continue to express interest in the two most popular models until the NGS AGM (7 June). Please remember you can express interest in more than one choice and also more than one model per choice.

After that provided the minimum number of 350 has been reached for one of the models then the NGS will place the order.

We hope that the extra time and slightly amended decision process will help to encourage members to support the project!

If you are interested in any of the models please get in touch with the NGS shop as soon as possible - full details here: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=modern-image-com

Cheers, Mike

(NGS Product Development Officer)

OwL

Hopefully not coming off topic to much. To those in the know, has it been considered doing a different liveried locomotive to those already for sale by Bachmann?

A good example is the Class 47. This is an excellent model and has been available for some time now. Being such a popular, multi era loco in real life means and abundance of liveries (from modern image Colas rail right back to two tone BR green)
My minor gripe is that GFarish don't utilise the many different liveries out there which they seem to do for OO Gauge.

Could the NGS Capitalise on this and get some different 'commissioned' liveries done on available models like the class 47?

(Dutch liveried 47 would be cool :ngauge:)

Just a thought. ;)

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Ben A

Hello Owl,

Since we can't even get close to the threshold for an item of rolling stock, can there be any justification for even thinking about a locomotive?   The costs are much much higher and again while Class 47s are a long-lived type as soon as you specify a livery you immediately turn off a large number of potential buyers.

TBH I have been very surprised and disappointed at how hard it's been to even generate interest in an item of rolling stock among a group other than the BR steam-diesel enthusiasts but at least we tried!

cheers

Ben A.

Chris in Prague

Alas, it seems that the majority of N Gauge modellers really do prefer the 1960s steam to diesel transition era. Kudos to you all for trying.

OwL

Quote from: Ben A on January 29, 2014, 08:00:28 PM

Hello Owl,

Since we can't even get close to the threshold for an item of rolling stock, can there be any justification for even thinking about a locomotive?   The costs are much much higher and again while Class 47s are a long-lived type as soon as you specify a livery you immediately turn off a large number of potential buyers.

TBH I have been very surprised and disappointed at how hard it's been to even generate interest in an item of rolling stock among a group other than the BR steam-diesel enthusiasts but at least we tried!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the reply Ben, and I'm sorry to hear that the rolling stock is not shifting. Don't know why or what to say other than your efforts ( NGS) are very much appreciated by me and a small minority. :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations