MINITRIX/FARISH A3/A4’S are they worth a shot ?

Started by Craigb302, June 02, 2020, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east anglian

ntpntpntp

Quote from: mojo on June 04, 2020, 04:44:43 PM
I find it very difficult to re-fit the shaft to the loco when it comes out.
Any advice?
Mojo

Er... always handle loco and tender together in one hand so that they don't flex enough for the shaft to come out in the first place  :D

When servicing shaft drive locos and I've had them separated, I just use a pair of tweezers to guide the shaft into the loco first.

I don't have anything against shaft drive, it can work well and allow loco-drive with decent weight over the drivers.   Just disappoints me that the Dapol models seem to struggle round 9" when I have old Roco 2-10-0s (shaft drive) which handle this easily.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Roy L S

I agree with Nick as regards the Cardan shaft, it is like anything else, fitting it becomes a knack but with careful handling they don't pop out often.

As to East Anglian's comments "bin it" I would just say each to his own. In my humble opinion the Minitrix A3/4 are best described as of their time and much more a representation than a scale model of the prototypes. If that floats your boat fine, but while I have examples of both Mintrix locos boxed somewhere, I personally prefer to run my much more accurate Dapol models and enjoy the prototypically loping gait of the big drivers, touches like lubricator link and speedo drive and in the case of one DCC sound...

Roy

Paddy

Hi Roy,

Totally agree that the Dapol A3/4 are good looking models plus you can even get a valanced A4!  My personal issue with Dapol is the fragility and somewhat inconsistent build quality of their steam locomotives.

Again, this may just be my bad luck or down to me in some way.  At present, I have decided to avoid any more Dapol steam locomotives until clear evidence emerges of a step change in robustness.

As always, other people's mileage may vary.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Craigb302

Thanks again for all the info, and to Bealman For providing the pictures she truly does look stunning for the locos age, A Dapol Mallard has Since came up for sale on eBay so I'm going to try and win that Along with a Sir Nigel gresley By Minitrix fingers crossed. Whilst we are on the subject of such has anyone had any experience with the dapol light bars in gresley coaches I'm happy they are plug and play but how do they look are they not too bright etc ? Ive currently only got the train tech Warm white lights fitted in some Farish mk2 TSO coaches And a flickering tail light on my brake coach which are ok in darker environments but during the day you barley notice they are on.

What do most people use do they go with the orange coloured type or have people just put the warm white ones in ? When dapol sold the flying Scotsman with 4 coaches prior to my deployment they came pre fitted with the warm white ones I believe ?

Any pictures or advice again would be appreciated before I go spending £8 ea on lights for 24 coaches.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations