KR Models Fell 10100

Started by Stuart Down Under, November 28, 2019, 09:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Down Under

Wow! If Hattons are out on a limb with the Beyer-Garratt, , what about KR Models announcement in December Model Rail that they are planning to release the Fell??? Amazing - Rule 1 forever - I've registered already. :claphappy: :bounce:

NeMo

100% agree.

Assuming a realistic price, I'd love to have one of these -- it's such an utterly bonkers piece of engineering that owning one would be a treat.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Stuart Down Under

They appear to be quoting 140 DCC ready, or 245 DCC sound. krmodels.co.uk.

dannyboy

Certainly an interesting/different locomotive.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

N_GaugeModeller

Are there any runners still in existence, if not were did they get the sounds from for the sound version?

Will there be enough interest in the n-gauge would for another random oddity or will it go the way of their failed Turbine model.

Perhaps these makers should ask the buying public what they want to buy before investing in random oddities, I am sure they would sell far more if they did a little market research.

N-Gauge accounts for I tiny percentage of all model rail sales so none are going to be big sellers so getting the model right with be the difference between success and failure.

:sorrysign:

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

dannyboy

Quote from: N_GaugeModeller on November 29, 2019, 07:48:27 AM

Perhaps these makers should ask the buying public what they want to buy before investing in random oddities,

I thought that was the idea behind the 'expressions of interest'  ???.  I have filled in the form.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

N_GaugeModeller

Not really

That's just an are you interested in buying this model not which of these models are you interested in buying or what model do you want us to make.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

NGS-PO

Quote from: N_GaugeModeller on November 29, 2019, 09:00:03 AM
Not really

That's just an are you interested in buying this model not which of these models are you interested in buying or what model do you want us to make.

NGM

In fairness, outside of RevolutioN, in N gauge, I'm not sure any companies take the latter approach.

I think in KRM's case they have decided that they are likely to get enough orders in OO, and that scale seems to be their focus. They are simply asking N Gauge if we'd like to tag along. At least that's how it appears to me.  The same happened with their GT3, and of course the answer was 'no', but there were probably a number of reasons for that.

Best

Scott
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

N_GaugeModeller

The lack of a proper advertising campaign and a very badly written website did not help them one bit either I suspect

Perhaps they did more on Facebook but for the more traditional among their potential customers they did very little promotion.

I suspect if they just went ahead and made their N-gauge GT3 it would have actually sold quite well, even if just to the rule 1 modellers and all the buy it and stuff it in a cupboard never to be seen until the day I die collectors who have to buy at least one of every variation offered.

Hands up anyone that has pre-ordered every one of the 8 different Hattons Beyer Garratt Models just to add to your collection

NGM

njee20

I'll say it again - despite their badly written website and negligible advertising they sold the requisite number of OO gauge ones, so why spend money on advertising and build a new website to sell a product which is clearly just less popular?

red_death

Sadly, I fear the N gauge market is too small to support most of the one-off prototypes - I think there are a few that could make it with careful marketing and costings, but it won't be easy (and I wouldn't expect it to be a money spinner!).

I think Nick is right - why expend potentially a lot of effort when you have a ready made market (4mm) able to support projects!

Cheers Mike

N_GaugeModeller

Quote from: njee20 on November 29, 2019, 10:44:48 AM
I'll say it again - despite their badly written website and negligible advertising they sold the requisite number of OO gauge ones, so why spend money on advertising and build a new website to sell a product which is clearly just less popular?

Because if its less popular it needs a different marketing strategy to reach its small customer catchment

NGM

N_GaugeModeller

Quote from: red_death on November 29, 2019, 10:49:59 AM
Sadly, I fear the N gauge market is too small to support most of the one-off prototypes - I think there are a few that could make it with careful marketing and costings, but it won't be easy (and I wouldn't expect it to be a money spinner!).

I think Nick is right - why expend potentially a lot of effort when you have a ready made market (4mm) able to support projects!

Cheers Mike

The trouble is that "Ready made 4mm market has almost zero interest in supporting N-Gauge, they can be two very different beasts.

NGM

njee20

Quote from: N_GaugeModeller on November 29, 2019, 11:03:46 AM
Because if its less popular it needs a different marketing strategy to reach its small customer catchment

But manufacturers aren't charities, and as much as I'd love every project to be viable in N gauge, I'm wholly understanding of why they focus their efforts on those they deem to be more commercially rewarding. The reality is they just won't do the N gauge one, rather than working harder on it.

Until OO gauge offerings get so esoteric that N gauge becomes the more obvious choice I think this is something which will continue. I'm just really glad Mike and Ben model in modern N! :D

However that's a bit negative on a thread of a model that's just been announced! Belongs more on the GT3 thread!

Skyline2uk

I am much more alert to KR now that they had a couple of engineering prototypes of the 00 GT3 at Warley. This gives them a slice of credibility (along with their professional stand and endorsement of a fairly well followed Youtube channel).

I tend to believe they have chosen to look at esoteric one off locos in 00 and as said above, should N gauge tag along for the ride, they will do that as well.

No interest even as a collectors piece in the GT3 or Fell for me, I would only stump up for Kestrel if it was offered in N.

I wish them good luck and I look forward to reading / watching reviews of the GT3 (and Fell if that gets supported, in either scale).

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations