The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

He also did the Pont Neuf, the oldest bridge in Paris.

RailGooner

What do I think of municipally funded installation art pieces in the modern day? :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry:

stevewalker

Ha, cheap! We got "B of the Bang," which cost a mere £2,000,000, was never finished properly, meaning that it all had to be barriered off because it was unsafe and was then sold for scrap for £17,000 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_of_the_Bang

RailGooner

I really liked 'B of The Bang'. Didn't understand why it was sited where it was though.

I like 'The Angel of The North'. I've seen it several times, on footie trips to Sunderland. I'd never have made the trip to Gateshead just to see it. There are quite a few Gormleys around Oxford too, but all paid for privately by Colleges. A waste of money? Don't care really - it's their money not mine (or ours).

I'm not against municipal art - IMO done well it really can enrich peoples lives. But, again IMO, municipal committees prove time and time again that they have very poor taste and no ability to assess the monetary value of public art. I don't know how much Gormley was paid for the 'The Angel of The North' but I'd wager that the marketing value of that commission has generated more profit for 'Gormley PLC' than that commission itself has. The exposure an artist gains from a municipal commission has a value which needs to be factored into the price paid for that work.

Better spending the money on Parks, Libraries, clean streets, etc.

javlinfaw7

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Lobey_Dosser_1.jpg/180px-Lobey_Dosser_1.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9b/Bud_Neill%27s_G_I_Bride.jpg/220px-Bud_Neill%27s_G_I_Bride.jpg

These  two recent pieces of municiple art in Glasgow, one by public subscription and one by sponsorship ,and Dundee's Oor Wullie ,Minnie the Minx and Desperate Dan at least show a sense of humour.

RailGooner

Quote from: newportnobby on December 17, 2017, 04:23:07 PM
Quote from: RailGooner on December 17, 2017, 01:54:50 PM
There are quite a few Gormleys around Oxford too

We have 100 Gormleys at Crosby.....

'Another Place, 1997'. Now, I can remember when this work was first exhibited in Cuxhaven, Germany. I wished for the opportunity to visit. But since all my international travels at that time were strictly football centric, it never happened. When the piece was moved to Crosby, I thought great now I can go and see it.

Shame on me, :-[ over a decade later and I've still not made it.

Quote from: newportnobby on December 17, 2017, 04:23:07 PM
and more than 100 Gormless in Leyland :laugh:

We've more than a few of those here too. :D

Jimbo

"I am iron maaaan!" (Black Sabbath)  :headbang:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Bealman

Thanks for the responses, folks. As Bob said, it's what the money could and should have been spent on that is the saddening aspect of the whole debacle.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

The Aussies got the Ashes back.

Not sure I'm in the right thread here..... I actually go for Australia in sport, even though I'm still a British citizen. Could be something to do with me being here 40+ years and having daughters who are most definitely Aussies.

Just following on my from palm trees!  ;D :beers:

RailGooner

Surely you should be happy then? :confused2:

Bealman

RailGooner

Grrrrrr! :veryangry: Folk posting happiness on The Angry Thread! :D

Bealman

It worked, though....

It got you angry!  ;D

So thread hijack effectively over  :thumbsup: