Portland Stone Loads

Started by CarriageShed, July 14, 2015, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

So far I've been able to find out that Purbeck stone was taken by the Swanage railway branch, but not yet found where it went from there; transporting it by sea ended around 1920. There was at one time a tramway for horse drawn stone wagons to the pier, I've also seen a photo of a horse drawn cartload of stone standing in the sea, water up to the horses belly stone being transferred to a barge and from there to a sailing craft.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bangor Lad

Quote from: Pete33 on September 02, 2015, 02:54:10 PM
Quote from: Bangor Lad on September 02, 2015, 02:44:51 PM
What have you used for the ropes?

Just bared and twisted wire, around four strands per rope, I think. Painted frame dirt, glued into position, snipped at the ends. The ends were given a dab of superglue to prevent them splaying, and then a dab of paint to hide the metal.

I think Simon's got it about right. The finer the wire you find the better it will look. You need to twist it quite a bit to get the effect but it's surprising how robust it is.

Dave
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

CarriageShed

Quote from: bridgiesimon on September 02, 2015, 05:10:43 PM
...I strip a length of plain multicore wire, separate the strands, paint them a rope sort of colour...

That does look good, Simon, and very realistic.

Quote from: Bangor Lad on September 02, 2015, 06:52:40 PM
I think Simon's got it about right. The finer the wire you find the better it will look...

I think you're right. Mine is also twisted a lot, but it doesn't really show up in the photo. Either way, it seems I'm going to have to redo the ropes.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations