What exactly constitutes 'Blue Riband' locos from Farish?

Started by Newportnobby, May 04, 2015, 01:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

The reason for the question is that 'older' stuff like my Class 44 and 45 carry the Blue Riband label as does my Class 24 372-979, yet my other 2 class 24s don't.
Also my 2 car 101 and 3 car 108 are labelled Blue Riband yet my 2 car 108s are not.
My older class 37 is Blue Riband but the latest release is not.
Several of my older kettles are Blue Riband products yet the newer Fairburn, Jinty, J39 and 4F aren't.
I've just picked some examples that puzzle me, and have also found some carriages where you'd think they should be Blue Riband as they are only a different livery to one that is, yet they are not labelled as such.
Is this some aberration in labelling by Farish or, if not, what exactly sets this 'standard'

Confused of Lancashire :confused1:

MJKERR

During 2012 and 2013 there was some overlap in production, so Blue Riband was used to differeniate

Now everything is Blue Riband, so the term has been removed

Newportnobby

Thanks for the quick reply but I am still confused..............

Quote from: mjkerr on May 04, 2015, 01:28:33 PM
During 2012 and 2013 there was some overlap in production, so Blue Riband was used to differeniate

Can you explain further, please?

Quote from: mjkerr on May 04, 2015, 01:28:33 PM
Now everything is Blue Riband, so the term has been removed

So heaven help those poor unfortunates such as myself who were trying to replace aged rolling stock with Blue Riband versions. Do you know when the removal occurred, please?
Sorry to be a pain :-[

Pengi

I remember seeing a Farish catalogue where Blue Riband meant a higher standard of detailing. For example working lights etc.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

MJKERR

Quote from: newportnobby on May 04, 2015, 01:40:53 PMCan you explain further, please?
During 2012 and 2013 a range of higher detailed models was produced, replacing earlier versions
These were termed as Blue Riband
The terms has now been discontinued as the range has expanded
There is now no way to know

railsquid

Quote from: Pengi on May 04, 2015, 01:45:06 PM
I remember seeing a Farish catalogue where Blue Riband meant a higher standard of detailing. For example working lights etc.

My blue Class 46 (371-587), evidently manufactured in 2011 (going by the datestamp on the box), carries the "Blue Riband" logo but apart from the packaging seems to be of the exact same design as my green one (371-585), evidently manufactured in 2006. No lights, no DCC socket (but does now have a split gear  :'( ).

The Class 87 (371-751) I received today, also manufactured in 2011 (and has the newer packaging with the yellow stripe) does not have the Blue Riband mark.

The new Deltic (371-287, March 2014) does have it; the new class 25 (371-088, July 2014) doesn't.

???

Roy L S

The term "Blue Riband" applies(d?) to rolling stock as well as locos.

It was I think intended to differentiate between newly tooled more detailed Bachmann products and the reincarnations of old "Poole" models.

Certainly my original Class 44, Royal Scot and the V2 do not have this branding, nor interestingly does my Class 24 so 2010/11 seems about right. Now with none of the old tooling Poole models remaining in the range the term is redundant.

Interestingly from my early forays into N as a teenager I recall the "Blue Riband" term also being used by Farish around 1976/7 with the introduction of the "new" chassis under the Pannier, metal wheels on rolling stock and updated "Super Liveway" points..

Roy

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on May 04, 2015, 02:18:06 PM
Quote from: Pengi on May 04, 2015, 01:45:06 PM

My blue Class 46 (371-587), evidently manufactured in 2011 (going by the datestamp on the box), carries the "Blue Riband" logo but apart from the packaging seems to be of the exact same design as my green one (371-585), evidently manufactured in 2006. No lights, no DCC socket (but does now have a split gear  :'( ).

???

My green class 46 (371-585) is not Blue Riband but my 44 and 45 are.
My 2 tone green class 24 (372-979) is Blue Riband but my other 2 tone green class 24 (372-977) and green class 24 (372-976) are not.

Quote from: railsquid on May 04, 2015, 02:18:06 PM

The new Deltic (371-287, March 2014) does have it; the new class 25 (371-088, July 2014) doesn't.

???

This seems to bear out mjkerr's reply and maybe the term was discontinued in April/May/June 2014 :hmmm:

Quote from: Roy L S on May 04, 2015, 03:26:44 PM
The term "Blue Riband" applies(d?) to rolling stock as well as locos.

Roy

I think when they brought out the BGs (last year?) I bought a maroon one, a green one and a Choc & Cream one yet only one of them was labelled as Blue Riband :confused2:

daveg

I think that (I read somewhere) GF have recently dropped the Blue Riband title/description but not sure why.

Hopefully better informed folk can confirm or correct me on this.

Here's an extract from the Bachman Europe website:

1998 was the 50th birthday of the Kader Company. It also saw the introduction of the Bachmann Blue Riband Range - especially designed and manufactured to exceptionally high quality, delivering the best you can get in British Outline models.

Dave G

Vonzack

Hi,

Purely from observation, but my take on the 'Blue Riband' branding, I thought was to differentiate newly tooled Chinese models, which had NEM Couplings and in the case of locos were 6 pin DCC Ready.

Cheers, Mark.

Newportnobby

You're probably correct, Mark, but it doesn't explain why (taking the 3 x class 24's I have) only one is labelled Blue Riband :hmmm:

railsquid

Also doesn't explain my Class 46 which is labelled as Blue Riband but which would only be DCC ready after some work with a soldering iron and possibly some chassis grinding.

ten0G

I've acquired a number of Farish wagons/vans in the last two weeks from UK suppliers, all but one are Blue Riband. 

Those fitted vans datestamped before 111103 have no vacuum pipe or hooks, one from 120312 has fitted pipes and loose hooks, and one dated 130708 has loose pipes and hooks. 

Even more confusing is the non-Blue Riband 20T BR brake van from 110105 which is lacking the fitted pipes shown on
http://www.mremag.com/news/article/graham-farish-20t-brake-van-377-525a/11594,
although it does have the glazed cabin mentioned.  I also have one Blue Riband wagon with the same datestamp. 

My only Farish (steam) loco is also Blue Riband from 120423, complete with fitted hooks, pipes & a detailing kit.  (Delivered on the 23rd April!) 

If they have dropped the branding, it will be harder to avoid lower quality items still in the shops and on eBay, especially the coaches. 

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on May 05, 2015, 11:42:39 AM
Also doesn't explain my Class 46 which is labelled as Blue Riband but which would only be DCC ready after some work with a soldering iron and possibly some chassis grinding.
Never one to let an opportunity to whip the body off a locomotive pass by unheeded, I took a look inside both 46s and determined that they are exactly the same design (split chassis, flywheel motor, no lights or DCC), with one difference: the new "Blue Riband" one from 2011 has a suppression capacitor, the older one doesn't. (Nor does the non-Blue Riband Class 87 from 2011).

railsquid

This thread on the "other" site doesn't come to any conclusions either: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81379-farish-and-blue-riband/

Probably just best to ignore the labelling/packaging and research each model before purchase. I'm pretty sure I've purchased a couple of items assuming that because they have the modern packaging with the yellow stripe, they're the very new tooling, but have ended up with something of older design.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations