Secondhand values

Started by d-a-n, January 04, 2015, 08:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

Being just across the severn bridge I too have used MRD and find them very helpful..hattons prices are not always the best and to be honest I just buy from the cheapest retailer item by item and find the service pretty much the same from them all.

Rabbitaway

Yes, liking MRD

Competition is good for the buyer!

Noted that people tend to compare retailers on loco prices but we buy a lot of rolling stock we should be looking at these prices as well particularly if we buy in one lot to cover postage

Anyway is this tread not about second hand values and I have taken it of the track!!!!

:laughabovepost: 

Skyline2uk

Anyway is this tread not about second hand values and I have taken it of the track!!!!

Indeed, allow me to set the road back onto the topic....

Personally, as I very nearly paid £100 plus for one a few years back, I wonder what will happen to the consistently high prices for NSE 101s when the new one finally emerges? Granted the new one is only 2 cars, but it should be much better?

Oh, and I am really hoping a new NSE 159 turns up at some point.....but that's another thread....

Skyline2uk

DELETED

QuoteHatton's are very expensive for their second hand items so they are selling on their reputation. It is very frustrating that they mix their second hand with their new items on the web site as I am only looking for new stock and it only goes to show how over priced the second hand items are!

...you can filter out their second hand stock by looking separate and they do list when it's second hand so I don't find it that bad at all.  But I must admit if you go by manufacturer I have said it before, it's quite comical they often offer second hand at more than new prices!!  THAT said, I have never phoned up to ask if they did offers -but it's not a good advert for me anyway.

Half my stock is from E-Bay though I notice this past year the bargains just aren't there these days.  Some retailers advertise better than others, and mark-ups are different so on the whole I am very glad to see the 2n'd hand market opening up as long as it's honest listings.

trkilliman

I think there is less quality stuff on auction, but more bits and pieces being cleared out. There is of course the Manor or Western, purely for for example and there always will be some good stuff, but I'm certain the volume of good stuff being auctioned has diminished. Masses of buy it now, but often at prices in excess of the so called box shifters. Much of my stock was purchased from ebay but I can go weeks now without making a purchase, even though I watch it daily. Still, it's a good source of entertainment given the starting prices some put, the so called "rare" items, and the bids that are made for some easily available stuff. Perhaps the economic situation, which I consider to be ongoing has meant people are hanging on to good stuff and not replacing with the latest offerings. The price hikes by Farish may have something to do with this...

Rabbitaway

Yes, I agree good deals on e-bay are harder to find now

I think you are right that second hand prices are being driven up by the increases in new items

:(

Agrippa

A lot of used stuff on Ebay is now costing almost as much as new, in some cases you'd be better off
buying new from a dealer, unless you're after an item which is no longer produced. The last item I bought from Ebay was a tiny Fleischmann 0-4 -0 tank for  £19 + postage from Germany, took a gamble, but it was in near mint condition and sent signed for . Some bargains sometimes lurking in dusty corners of model shops , but not many . The thing with Ebay , not confined to model rail stuff, is the bidding gets frenzied when people get caught up in auction fever then in the cold light of day realise for
a couple of quid extra they could have got the goods new .
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Agrippa

Further to last post did some research eg used Farish LMS Stanier coach, Ebay buy it now inc post £29,
new from Hattons £23 inc post. Strange when you consider Hattons price includes VAT at the full rate
while used on Ebay may have no VAT or reduced VAT for s/h goods.

Of course as mentioned elsewhere Hattons' used stuff quite  pricey as well!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

trkilliman

I'm heartened that others share my views on the "peculiarities" of ebay.
You really do need to be clued up on new prices as there are plenty of listings where the buy it now prices are IMHO,well, opportunist. If you decide to look at auction listings only then the number of entries drops considerably without the buy it now option.

I think the bidding frenzies can have a knock on effect. If you sale something for in excess of your wildest dreams then you are sort of cash rich. When you are after something chances are you will bid much more than you would have if you were not cash rich. It only takes another bidder or two, or three, in the same situation and then a bidding frenzy can emerge. And so it goes on.

I would quite like two or three of the later Bach-Far Hall chassis, for use with some white metal kits I want to finally make and super detail. However the ebay price of a Hall loco has risen steeply in recent months. I can't understand why, as compared to releases of the last few years, such as the Dapol Hall, they are seriously devoid of detail. I do scratch my head over this.

Rabbitaway

I bought a pair of second hand Stanier coaches for £11 about 6 months ago with sensible postage

Unboxed but very good

They were listed as "n gauge coaches" so this helped them stay unnoticed by bidders

"Buy it now" is a waste of time for model rail stuff

Newportnobby

Quote from: trkilliman on January 12, 2015, 01:50:28 PM
I'm heartened that others share my views on the "peculiarities" of ebay.
You really do need to be clued up on new prices

If it's something I'm not certain of, I always have a second tab open to my favourite box shifter so I can compare new > old prices instantly where possible.

E Pinniger

Quote from: trkilliman on January 12, 2015, 01:50:28 PM
I would quite like two or three of the later Bach-Far Hall chassis, for use with some white metal kits I want to finally make and super detail. However the ebay price of a Hall loco has risen steeply in recent months. I can't understand why, as compared to releases of the last few years, such as the Dapol Hall, they are seriously devoid of detail. I do scratch my head over this.

The OO9 (4mm narrow gauge) market is a likely reason for the high second-hand prices of many old locomotives, even those that are "obsolete". A lot of OO9 loco kits are designed to use specific N gauge chassis, many of which haven't been in production for ages, and some are very sought after for this reason despite being of dubious merit as N gauge models (the Bachmann US 0-4-0 dock tank is an example).
However, I can't imagine Hall chassis having much appeal to OO9 modellers. There aren't that many narrow gauge steam locos with that wheel size/configuration and no outside valve gear.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations