Hand of God.................Uncoupling tool

Started by Tom@Crewe, January 12, 2015, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

I think I'll give that a try some time (layout not yet in operation). Those wagons are so light though - do you put a finger on the wagon to stop it lifting while you uncouple it?
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

mr magnolia

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 12, 2015, 07:24:05 PM
Not really my kind of thing this, but a neat idea I have seen for a HoG uncoupling device is a brass rod with a bent end and a bit of flat brass soldered on, the rod being attached to a small cylindrical pocket torch - the idea being that the beam of the torch helps you see the coupling and apply force where needed!

Cheers  Jon  :)

Now that would cater for the problem of the coupling zone being darker than dark!

I've pretty much decided that I want to uncouple by hand, generally, and I have wondered if I could make a 'place over the top' type frame with strategically placed magnets to include those couplings designed to work with magnets. I'm not much fussed by the time taken to uncouple (consciously or unconsciously...), as in the real world it takes a little bit of time and effort.
I think a well thought through HoG system would be perfect. Can we carry on here until we have one???
The weight of the wagon, as noted above, is an obstacle - although most of my wagons are not yet weighted to get them to the NMRA standards. ( it's on my list though...)
Donald

PostModN66

Hmmm - I guess if you put two oppositely oriented small Rare Earth Magnets on a kind of forked stick, you could insert it from the top, each fork going to a different side, and it should uncouple Dapol Easi-Fits (and Microtrains) quite nicely.

Harder to see how a Rapido-based version would work as you need the force to be downwards.

cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

austinbob

Quote from: mr magnolia on January 13, 2015, 06:21:58 PM
The weight of the wagon, as noted above, is an obstacle - although most of my wagons are not yet weighted to get them to the NMRA standards. ( it's on my list though...)
Donald
Donald - can you give more info please on the NMRA wagon weight standard - not heard of that? And - where do the weights go.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Tom@Crewe

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 13, 2015, 06:27:08 PM
Hmmm - I guess if you put two oppositely oriented small Rare Earth Magnets on a kind of forked stick, you could insert it from the top, each fork going to a different side, and it should uncouple Dapol Easi-Fits (and Microtrains) quite nicely.

I did find this and was not able to fathom it.....Now I know. (OO Gauge though)

MalcolmInN

The problem I found with the rapidos on my coaches -  when trying to lift one by the cocktail stick (aka a mini-screwdriver) method was that it also minutely lifted the other, thus diminishing the overall relative lift.
The only way to  release the two was to depress one coupling whilst lifting the other, a feat usually beyond the dexterity of this mortal and ending in a major reportable incident to the elfinsafety authorities :(

Sadly it all had to be returned to its maker before I could invent a magnetic method of pulling one side down at the same time as lifting the other :(

mr magnolia

Quote from: austinbob on January 13, 2015, 06:27:30 PM
Quote from: mr magnolia on January 13, 2015, 06:21:58 PM
Donald
Donald - can you give more info please on the NMRA wagon weight standard - not heard of that? And - where do the weights go.

quote]

Hi, try this link and scroll down to 'car weights'

Its not a science, more of an art, I think. And where the weight goes is another art!
Easier if you have a wagon load, as you can add weight inside the wagon.
The N Gauge society suggest gluing strip weights under their wagon kit floors for the same purposes. Its certainly true that weighted wagons are much more 'realistic' in traffic but don't over do it!

Donald
http://www.nmra.org/index-nmra-standards-and-recommended-practices

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations