'N' Gauge in 'Model Railway Journal' No. 274

Started by Train Waiting, October 18, 2019, 02:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Blueball Summit had passed me by. Great looking layout. I'm 99% sold on the idea of Easitrac with N gauge pointwork 'next time'!

trkilliman

MRJ...I always have a quick look at the issues contents, as it sure can be inspirational.
I'm especially attracted to buying a magazine about hands-on modelling, and one that isn't a good third adverts that occur month after month. Shame there isn't more N gauge though.

martyn

Oops, yes, sorry.

James St is IN BRM, not MRJ.

Sorry again.....

Martyn

ODRAILS

Quote from: njee20 on January 03, 2020, 11:49:53 AM
Blueball Summit had passed me by. Great looking layout. I'm 99% sold on the idea of Easitrac with N gauge pointwork 'next time'!
Why Easitrac which is 9.5mm gauge 2FS track when FiNetrax 9mm gauge and points to N gauge clearances are available ?

njee20

9.42mm for Easitrac, and simply because it's cheaper (£3.75 a metre versus £6) and I'd need quite a bit. No stock adjustments needed as long as build turnouts to N gauge standards. I'm already a member of the 2mm SA to get hold of PCB strip etc.

You can also get 10m 'coils' of rail through the 2mm SA, minimising rail joints. Although I've heard it can be a bit prone to twisting.

I've got some of the Finetrax flat bottom turnouts, which look great, and I may well use those in strategic places, but they're just that bit less flexible (literally and metaphorically) than handbuilding on copper-clad. They're also expensive (a handbuilt point is about £2 of parts), and I'm not wild keen on the aesthetic of the cast frog. Then again, they're more detailed.

Apologies for the hijack.

dannyboy

Quote from: Izzy on January 03, 2020, 08:35:42 AM

I have always been surprised at the much higher cost of all books/mags in AUS when I  have visited, about 2-3 times more.

It is not that bad in Ireland, but UK publications can cost 50% more than the cover price - apart from the conversion rate, there is VAT to add. Which is why I wait until I go to Enniskillen to buy any magazines I require.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

Quote from: red_death on January 03, 2020, 10:29:12 AM
MRJ is normally worthwhile for the inspiration and ideas it gives, but this issue with Blueball Summit is definitely worth the price - its only the 2nd or 3rd N gauge layout to appear in MRJ.

Cheers Mike

You're starting to talk me into it  >:D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ODRAILS

Quote from: njee20 on January 03, 2020, 05:25:30 PM
9.42mm for Easitrac, and simply because it's cheaper (£3.75 a metre versus £6) and I'd need quite a bit. No stock adjustments needed as long as build turnouts to N gauge standards. I'm already a member of the 2mm SA to get hold of PCB strip etc.

You can also get 10m 'coils' of rail through the 2mm SA, minimising rail joints. Although I've heard it can be a bit prone to twisting.

I've got some of the Finetrax flat bottom turnouts, which look great, and I may well use those in strategic places, but they're just that bit less flexible (literally and metaphorically) than handbuilding on copper-clad. They're also expensive (a handbuilt point is about £2 of parts), and I'm not wild keen on the aesthetic of the cast frog. Then again, they're more detailed.

Apologies for the hijack.

Of course if you've paid the 2mm society fees then easitrack is a little cheaper (not as much as you suggest as the code 40 10 mm coils are now in limited supply according to the website),
BUT I agree with you regarding points - I have used 2  fiNetrax points which look very nice when the cast frog is infilled with black/brown paint but my layout requirements also dictated a fairly tight curved point which I made using 2mm FS copperclad sleepers (I'm a lapsed 2mm fs member). I used N gauge tracksettas to draw on paper the rail positions I required and glued the sleepers on the paper. Soldered the rails on top - relatively easy.....

njee20

The £3.75 assumes you use the 50cm lengths of rail (£7.50 for twenty 500mm lengths), so it's an apples:apples comparison. If you use the coils the price per metre is £3.30. Yes they're in short stock, I've got 3. Membership cost is saved if you need more than about 6m of track. I'll need about 50m. I wasn't expecting to have to justify the full costs.

I just plan with Templot, which I find very satisfying.

Bealman

Bealman

I weakened. Look what I bought. I'm blaming you, Mike!  ;)

Train Waiting

I'm glad you bought it, George.  It's a good issue.

It's great to see 'N' gauge in the Journal.

The Mike Sharman obituary is fascinating.  I met him once and found him to be a lovely chap.

And the article on theatre-style lighting is interesting.

Happy reading.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bealman

Only had a quick glance so far.

Haven't seen the Mike Sharman obituary yet.

Didn't he scratch build broad gauge during the seventies?

As I say, I haven't really looked at the mag yet.  :beers:

rogerdB

Quote from: Bealman on January 06, 2020, 09:20:24 AM
Haven't seen the Mike Sharman obituary yet.

Didn't he scratch build broad gauge during the seventies?

Video of Mike's work here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pquYCNKQy70

Bealman

Yes, it was a good obituary, bringing back memories of the Mike's Models ads in RM, and his articles on his quirky broad gauge layouts with amazing pointwork.

Thanks for the video link, which I saw some time ago, but of course, forgot about. It certainly reminds me of the brilliance of his work on all levels!  :thumbsup:

Some 009 in there as well!

After reading the article about Blueball Summit and studying the photos in some detail, I am still of the opinion that Roger's Wrenton layout has a place in this journal.

The only hurdle I see is that (in my opinion) MRJ seem to have an aversion to proprietary track such as Peco code 55.

They have however, published a 00 layout (twice) which has old Peco Streamline track.

They justified this by saying they were mesmerized by the modelling standards of that particular layout.

I don't see Wrenton as being any different, and believe it deserves to be featured in MRJ.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations