'N' Gauge in 'Model Railway Journal' No. 274

Started by Train Waiting, October 18, 2019, 02:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train Waiting

My copy of Model Railway Journal No. 274 has arrived in the post.  It has the usual MRJ-style mix of articles but with an interesting twist... an 'N' gauge layout.  The layout is Blueball Summit and is BR(W) in the blue diesel period.  The article is nine pages long with good colour photographs.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

belstone

Thanks very much for posting that, John.  I went looking for the layout and found some photos on another forum.  I think I am going to have to move my ambitions for Stobs up a few notches as a result. Blueball Summit has to be one of the finest examples of NQ2 (Not Quite 2mm) out there.  It's on the exhibition circuit, so I'll have to see if I can catch up with it at a show somewhere.

Richard

Bealman

Thanks for the heads-up, folks. I'll watch out for that issue arriving on our shores.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

longbow

Bealman

belstone

Quote from: Bealman on October 22, 2019, 12:39:00 AM
Looks big! Is there a trackplan in MRJ?

Scenic section is 10 feet long.  A decent size but not huge.

NGS-PO

If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Modelbry

Great Layout. Loved the video.  Music was a bit naff though  :D

longbow

Modelbry

Bealman

This issue of MRJ arrived in the newsagents yesterday. While it's very tempting, the price is not!

At A$16, that's well over the UK price.

martyn

'James St' is in the (BRM) issue dated 3/1/20; not sure of the issue number.

Martyn

Bealman

The issue I refer to is has Blueball Summit.

Izzy

I have always been surprised at the much higher cost of all books/mags in AUS when I  have visited, about 2-3 times more.

Isn't James St in the latest BRM rather than the MRJ?

Izzy

red_death

MRJ is normally worthwhile for the inspiration and ideas it gives, but this issue with Blueball Summit is definitely worth the price - its only the 2nd or 3rd N gauge layout to appear in MRJ.

Cheers Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations