Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I mentioned in another thread I had to return a very noisy Hymek to Osborns Models. They sent me a returns label which I duly shrank to size. Bought Mum a paper and some groceries this morning so popped into her local Post Office with the parcel only to be told it was a Royal Mail label, they couldn't scan it and so couldn't accept it, and that I had to take it to a RM sorting office. I duly did that on my journey home.
No doubt some knowledgeable soul will tell me the logic behind all of this. I'm not fussed about the time lost but everyone talks about carbon footprint these days and this hasn't helped.

Trainfish

Royal Mail and the Post Office are separate companies with independent Boards. Royal Mail is the company that delivers parcels and letters – the provider of the universal postal service. The Post Office is the nationwide network of branches offering a range of postal, Government and financial services.

So there  :P
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

oh for the days of the old GPO,
one set of 'management' managed to deal with mail, post offices and telephones if my memory serves me correctly.

obviously better managers in those days, worked up from the ranks and not a university degree among them, but they could do the job. :veryangry:

stevewalker

It seems particularly daft, as you can walk into a post-office, present a parcel, pay for its sending there and then - and then Royal Mail pick it up from the post-office!

Newportnobby

Quote from: stevewalker on January 22, 2022, 12:37:04 PM
It seems particularly daft, as you can walk into a post-office, present a parcel, pay for its sending there and then - and then Royal Mail pick it up from the post-office!

Exactly, Steve. And then they have the nerve to call it 'progress'. Pah!! ::)

Newportnobby

I had reason to visit the Devil's own DIY shed (B & Q) this morning for various items for the layout. Let me start by saying how gladdened I was to still see a good 50% of customers still wearing a mask.
Small spirit level - into the basket
7.5mm drill bit (the one bought from Station Baseboards wouldn't get through a Weetabix ::)) - none
Cable clips 7mm - sign pointing to 'Electrical' sent me down an aisle full of paints. Every employee I approached scuttled off in the opposite direction so I must be pretty scary at 09.15 :worried: Eventually tracked the clips down to another 'Electrical' aisle so into the basket they went.
15mm x 15mm stripwood (Seep points for the use of) - into the basket
3mm x 25mm screws (100 or 200) point motors for the use of - nada, nix, zilch, rien, zero. Seems the world and it's brother had been buying the same thing so I had to come away with a couple of expensive packs of 20s >:(

Next time I'll head for Screwfix but I was calling on Mum as well today.

daffy

Typical B&Q these days Mick - and I don't mean due to Covid or Brexit - so I only go there for the odd bag of cement and paints (when the latter are on offer) and some wood (if I can find a bit that isn't related to a barley twist or a banana!).

Screwfix can be a lot better for many hardware items, and as both chains are owned & operated by Kingfisher the lack of stock at B&Q while the same items are in stock at SF seems odd.

I use Toolstation mostly these days anyway, especially as they have a free next day delivery for lower order value (£25) if I need to spend that much.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

emjaybee

Quote from: daffy on January 27, 2022, 12:17:01 PM
Typical B&Q these days Mick - and I don't mean due to Covid or Brexit - so I only go there for the odd bag of cement and paints (when the latter are on offer) and some wood (if I can find a bit that isn't related to a barley twist or a banana!).

Screwfix can be a lot better for many hardware items, and as both chains are owned & operated by Kingfisher the lack of stock at B&Q while the same items are in stock at SF seems odd.

I use Toolstation mostly these days anyway, especially as they have a free next day delivery for lower order value (£25) if I need to spend that much.

I tend to favour Toolstation. They are quicker, more reliable and easier to work with, much like Screwfix used to be.

But then the reason for that is that Toolstation is run by the guy who started Screwfix. He sold Screwfix, but the lawyers neglected to put a clause in the sale contract to stop him doing the same again, so when Screwfix started to slide with their range and service, he started Toolstation!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

steve836

Never use screwup as their screws are rubbish. When I used them I found that half the time the head would come off and I woul have to use pliers to extract the screw before I could put another in. Dearer screws are well worth the extra.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

daffy

Agreed re using dearer screws after many years of trial and error. Best screws for me - inside and outside - are the 'Cutter' range by the German manufacturer Reisser. From Toolstation. Expensive perhaps, but well worth it IMHO as I've never had one strip it's head slots or break and they don't need a pre-drilled hole or c/sink (though I do both if I want best finished look.)

No links to any of afore-named companies except as satisfied customer.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

stevewalker

Quote from: emjaybee on January 27, 2022, 12:40:43 PM
... Toolstation is run by the guy who started Screwfix. He sold Screwfix, but the lawyers neglected to put a clause in the sale contract to stop him doing the same again, so when Screwfix started to slide with their range and service, he started Toolstation!

I don't think that they forgot. I am pretty sure that when Toolstation opened, it was revealed that there was such a clause, but it lapsed after 5 years or something like that.

I do prefer Toolstation to Screwfix, the staff are much friendlier - at least that's the case locally.

Malc

Curious that you have issues Steve, because I have used Screwfix since they used to run ads in Exchange and Mart in the 70s. I've done all sorts of building work and never ever had a problem with their screws snapping.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

steve836

Maybe I was unlucky, Malc, but I used to do a lot of screwing when I was a driver/handyman at a school and found that cheap screws always caused trouble and as they say "time's money". I, therefor, used Spax screws, dearer but well worth the extra.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Trainfish

Quote from: Malc on January 28, 2022, 10:45:24 AM
Curious that you have issues Steve, because I have used Screwfix since they used to run ads in Exchange and Mart in the 70s. I've done all sorts of building work and never ever had a problem with their screws snapping.

Same here. I usually use Goldscrews from Screwfix both at home and at work as I do a lot of screwing these days  :goggleeyes: Never had a problem and I highly recommend both the screws and Screwfix  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

mickeyflinn

We're quite lucky where we live, as we've got 2 independent timber merchants within a 15 minute drive from us. Generally use them for wood, screws, glue, etc and they're often cheaper and always top quality. Also, if we need timber, its all loose and cut to different lengths so we can pick and choose our own.

Have found it best to always compare the prices at B&Q and Screwfix, as although Screwfix is generally cheaper, sometimes B&Q is for exactly the same thing.

If I'm going to Screwfix, I always check Toolstation too as the nearest ones to us are next door to one another.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations