Another walk down Memory Lane (for some of us)

Started by Newportnobby, December 11, 2019, 02:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewearpley40

Sadly no photos. Just remember  the cants and the curves at wolverton with the works on the site nes thel down fast line

emjaybee

Those are some nice shots. The station was a lovely building, a listed building, pulled down in the dead of night by British Rail, obviously no prosecution ensued.

:veryangry:

It's curious that you say you saw Jintys. I don't know that they used Jintys, I think they used a pair of these...

I'm not doubting your knowledge, just curious if they were Jintys.

That section of the Works was referred to as 'The Gravel'.

Did you ever go to the kids Christmas party's? We always used to come home laden down with sweets and chocolates, the chocolate toolkit was always one of my favourites.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

daffy

I used to drop off and pick up my first wife at Wolverton Station, the old building adjacent to the road bridge, as she caught the train for her job in Northampton. If I recall correctly - not always the case these days  :worried: - it was during that period that the station platforms were remodelled by some minimalist idiot who thought modernist bus shelters were cool, and the roadside building got  demolished, and winter warmth while waiting for a train became impossible.
And I was a mean roller skater at the Agora Centre.

Back in the sixties I was a frequent presence in the yard of the market Hall opposite the works, helping John Covington sell fruit and veg to the townsfolk. Come lunchtime we were rushed off our feet as the men from the works came to the stall in great numbers. Not certain but I think this was a Friday market, the day after I had been with John down to the old Covent Garden market for stock.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

anselm

And I well remember my wife-to-be's reaction on my meeting her at Wolverton Station on a dark wet evening, never the best conditions to see a town for the first time..  All I can remember was a long brick wall just outside the station.
Ian

themadhippy

Quotewhat's your connection with Wolverton?
I was dragged up in deanshanger, went to wolverton collage, from 83-87 and spent many a lunch time playing video games in the agro center or drinking in either the crawford or the top club.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

emjaybee

Quote from: themadhippy on December 13, 2019, 11:19:02 AM
Quotewhat's your connection with Wolverton?
I was dragged up in deanshanger, went to wolverton collage, from 83-87 and spent many a lunch time playing video games in the agro center or drinking in either the crawford or the top club.

You came from 'shanger, that explains it. I was at Wolverton College from '85 to '89. I used to play the driving games in the agro. One of the blokes I later worked with in facilities management STILL drinks in the top club! I meet up with that old office lot once a year for a Christmas beer up in Stoke Goldington.
Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on December 13, 2019, 10:40:15 AM

It's curious that you say you saw Jintys. I don't know that they used Jintys, I think they used a pair of these...

This excellent site shows, amongst masses of other info, locos allocated to the Works...........

http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=9923

emjaybee

Quote from: anselm on December 13, 2019, 11:11:50 AM
And I well remember my wife-to-be's reaction on my meeting her at Wolverton Station on a dark wet evening, never the best conditions to see a town for the first time..  All I can remember was a long brick wall just outside the station.
Ian

It's a very long brick wall. If you look carefully at it you can still see the camo that was painted on it in the war. If you look closely at the Lifting Shop through the main entrance you can still just about see the 'windows' painted on the side of it to try to make it look more like a terrace of houses.

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 13, 2019, 02:40:01 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on December 13, 2019, 10:40:15 AM

This excellent site shows, amongst masses of other info, locos allocated to the Works...........

http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=9923

I'm not sure about that database of locos, it seems a bit odd. I think that shows locos that went into the Works for some maintenance or possibly relief duties. If you look at some of the entries they went in one month, and came out the next. From the knowledge I have there was generally a couple of locos permanently on site. My father as an apprentice used to get the job of climbing in through the firebox door for repair work as he was the only one that'd fit through, that pair of locos didn't leave the works for years, so I'm not sure what this database is showing, but it's not the Wolverton shunters.
Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Even aged 10 I knew my Jinties. On my pocket money I couldn't afford 'proper' spotting books let alone any sort of camera.
Trust me, they were there. For sure some may have been moved there after withdrawal but certainly 47478 and 47479 were allocated there from Sept 1959 until withdrawal

guest311

Ian Allen books, a platform ticket, a packed lunch, a bottle of pop....
what more could a lad ask for  :laugh:

crewearpley40

The loco in the photo looks like a Ramsbottom ex LNWR special tank baSed on a saddle tank version of an LNWR DX goods.  THE other two were LMS  16561 / 2  renumbered 47478 and 9

Newportnobby

Quote from: class37025 on December 13, 2019, 09:37:39 PM

Couldn't afford Ian Allan books until I got a Saturday job but parents always made sure there was a Lyons individual fruit pie in my lunch :D
Meanwhile back in Wolverton, I recall parking my soapbox outside the Post Office further along Church Street. I emerged to find some sod had reversed over it and driven off without a word! :censored:

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 13, 2019, 09:35:31 PM
Even aged 10 I knew my Jinties. On my pocket money I couldn't afford 'proper' spotting books let alone any sort of camera.
Trust me, they were there. For sure some may have been moved there after withdrawal but certainly 47478 and 47479 were allocated there from Sept 1959 until withdrawal

As I say, I didn't doubt your knowledge.   :D

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 13, 2019, 09:52:05 PM
Quote from: class37025 on December 13, 2019, 09:37:39 PM

Couldn't afford Ian Allan books until I got a Saturday job but parents always made sure there was a Lyons individual fruit pie in my lunch :D
Meanwhile back in Wolverton, I recall parking my soapbox outside the Post Office further along Church Street. I emerged to find some sod had reversed over it and driven off without a word! :censored:

Probably the same person that you were annoying out of your bedroom window with the pea-shooter.    ;D

As they say, 'pay backs a female dog (changed by forum)'.

That probably taught you a valuable lesson, but you didn't realise it at the time.  Happy days tho'.
Brookline build thread:

Trainfish

Quote from: crewearpley40 on December 13, 2019, 09:48:29 PM
The loco in the photo looks like a Ramsbottom ex LNWR special tank baSed on a saddle tank version of an LNWR DX goods.  THE other two were LMS  16561 / 2  renumbered 47478 and 9

That's exactly what I was going to say  :doh:

Didn't they then convert 47478 and 47479 into blue diesels with yellow ends?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations