what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Here's a pic of the "Fleischmann" engine shed. It's missing a few bits of roofing that are in a box somewhere and needs the glass replacing (plus a lot of painting and tweaking).

Oldman

I am currently trying to work out how to link Toe Depot to my other layout Lyne End
The problem I have is the height difference between the boards 20mm and only have a length of 350mm. Is that going to be too steep?
My other option is to just put 20mm spacers under Footsteps in Time when I want to link them together. I like the idea of just using a gradient for part of the track because I want to have some storage sidings on the same board.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

zwilnik

It's fairly steep, but how problematic it is depends on engine doing the work and just what it's moving around.

As it's a fairly small layout I'm guessing we're talking shunters. I know the Farish 08 for instance can actually cope with a fairly steep gradient, as can most of the Farish shunters as they have a good bit of weight helping the traction.

What you could do of course, is split the difference and put 10mm spacers under the other boards to halve the gradient (to about 1:30 which should be fine for most engines) but still have an interesting gradient.

If you're doing a gradient, make sure the transition to and from the incline is smooth as that causes more problems than the gradient angle itself.

Malc

I bought a Fleishmann manual one off e-bay ages ago. Unfortunately, when I got around to using it, the plastic had gone brittle. As I started to re-arrange the order of the roads, the blanking plates disintegrated. Fortunately it was cheap.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

zwilnik

Got the nephews popping round today to 'test' the layout, so I'll be tidying the workroom to put away anything they can impale, stab or electrocute themselves on :)

scotsoft

Quote from: Zwilnik on November 18, 2012, 11:49:35 AM
Got the nephews popping round today to 'test' the layout, so I'll be tidying the workroom to put away anything they can impale, stab or electrocute themselves on :)

Now that is an impossible task as far as boys go  :doh: :help: :D

cheers John.

zwilnik

Quote from: scotsoft on November 18, 2012, 11:56:19 AM
Quote from: Zwilnik on November 18, 2012, 11:49:35 AM

Now that is an impossible task as far as boys go  :doh: :help: :D

cheers John.

True, I'll be happy with removing the potentially fatal ones though :)

Jonathan Clapp

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 17, 2012, 07:32:16 PM
1:400 airport, near enough right for a 1:450 train service 8): T time

that is certainly appealing!

Japanese rapid transit sets quite suitable. prices not too shocking either...

tadpole

owch!

Second and final phase of junction remodelling completed, quite happy with the result. Just need to reconnect the EMU headshunt line and tidy up the mess. Again.

One set of points is faulty, however, so it'll have to come out when a replacement arrives - what a pain  :thumbsdown:
Two rails good. Three better.

OwL

Had a busy afternoon with Old Warren. Big track cleaning episode and dusting. Finally got all lighting wired up, really impressed.

I used Whiteswans tip of using a make up brush to clean, this is a great idea and really works.

Got some loco's running in on the layout, and my next step is to decide where I wish to pose figures and livestock. I will mull this over a pint later as me and Fay are going out tonight for a drink and an Indian. :beers:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

MattJ

They're there for their tea.

Skyline2uk

Having cleaning session, the first stage of which was moving my stock from out of the storage yard (which will be cleaned first).

Its a bit crowded  ;)

Skyline2uk

port perran

Just painted 18 cows white !
Adding the black bits later !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Oldman

Not a lot.
Was going to paint the crane for Heel Station, unfotunately have got distracted and started looking thro my boxes of bits and pieces.
Have found at least 3 kits I had forgotten about.
Langley LNER coach, N Brass working traffic lights, Micron Art etched brass Vincent motorcycles.
There are about 50 whitemetal figures that need painting and I need to finish my model of ELLIOT.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations