what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on April 27, 2014, 10:20:48 AM
I've spent a large part of this morning just playing trains on the layout. Oopps :-[   :hmmm:
Sorry, I meant rechecking electrical connections, scenery, platform and other clearences etc of course   ;)

This is the one thing we should all be doing, surely? If you don't eventually play trains on your layout, surely you're like the guy who's always 'under the bonnet' of his car but never takes it out for a drive?
???

Indeed, I think we should have a national "run trains for fun day" when we all run the wrong engines pulling the wrong rolling stock. Pannier tanks hauling Freightliner containers, that sort of thing! Showing our support for Rule #1 and our disdain for those who tell us we can't run a nice new GWR green steam engine with LNER teak coaches on our post-privatisation motive power depot layout!
:D

Cheers, NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

port perran

Been fixing coping stones to the top of my sea wall. I have a large jar of ballast weighing them down whilst the glue dries.
Now painting platform seats (adding the cream to the brown I did a few days ago) and other tiny bits. Have to give my old eyes a rest every 15 minutes or so !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: port perran on April 27, 2014, 02:29:25 PM
Been fixing coping stones to the top of my sea wall. I have a large jar of ballast weighing them down whilst the glue dries.
Now painting platform seats (adding the cream to the brown I did a few days ago) and other tiny bits. Have to give my old eyes a rest every 15 minutes or so !

Ah - repairs to the sea wall - just like at Dawlish! :)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: NeMo on April 27, 2014, 12:50:48 PM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on April 27, 2014, 10:20:48 AM
I've spent a large part of this morning just playing trains on the layout. Oopps :-[   :hmmm:
Sorry, I meant rechecking electrical connections, scenery, platform and other clearences etc of course   ;)

This is the one thing we should all be doing, surely? If you don't eventually play trains on your layout, surely you're like the guy who's always 'under the bonnet' of his car but never takes it out for a drive?
???

Indeed, I think we should have a national "run trains for fun day" when we all run the wrong engines pulling the wrong rolling stock. Pannier tanks hauling Freightliner containers, that sort of thing! Showing our support for Rule #1 and our disdain for those who tell us we can't run a nice new GWR green steam engine with LNER teak coaches on our post-privatisation motive power depot layout!
:D

Cheers, NeMo

Thanks NeMo.
I do try to keep things pretty good re proper locos etc but once in a while it's nice to run trains to all parts of the layout just to see things are still in working order. It's easier to put right one fault  than two or three and "playing trains" catches them early I find!
Greg
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

port perran

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on April 27, 2014, 04:17:16 PM
Ah - repairs to the sea wall - just like at Dawlish! :)

Maybe not quite so dramatic as Dawlish but the repairs are now complete and trains are running again at Port Perran.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Sprintex

Not quite "layout", but spent most of the day making a camera car, or more accurately a "camera coach"  :)

Paul

steve836

Quote from: Sprintex on April 27, 2014, 08:50:13 PM
Not quite "layout", but spent most of the day making a camera car, or more accurately a "camera coach"  :)

Paul
Sounds great please post some footage when its up and running
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

GeeBee

Fitting droppers to the 8 lane fiddle yard of Martini Holt
:confused1:

Sprintex

Quote from: steve836 on April 29, 2014, 06:55:21 PM
Quote from: Sprintex link=topic=1724.msg217134#msg217134 date=13 98628213

Paul

Thanks :) Waiting for a USB extension lead to arrive before testing. Not sure how much longer I'll be a Moderator though when a "certain someone" finds out what I've done to a NSE coach!  :worried:

;D

Paul

steve836

Quote from: Sprintex on April 29, 2014, 08:49:56 PM
Quote from: steve836 on April 29, 2014, 06:55:21 PM
Quote from: Sprintex link=topic=1724.msg217134#msg217134 date=13 98628213

Paul

Thanks :) Waiting for a USB extension lead to arrive before testing. Not sure how much longer I'll be a Moderator though when a "certain someone" finds out what I've done to a NSE coach!  :worried:

;D

Paul
Could be worse it might have been an N.E. coach--That would have been serious! :laugh:
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Vigo

Right now I'm giving serious consideration to the idea of ripping all this up, spinning it all through 180 degrees and starting again.

As a model it's more or less finished but it doesn't do what I want it to do... ie work ???
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Sprintex

:jawdropping:

Do you mean it doesn't work physically or operationally?

Paul

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Vigo on May 01, 2014, 07:47:06 AM
Right now I'm giving serious consideration to the idea of ripping all this up, spinning it all through 180 degrees and starting again.

Ouch!  That must be causing more than a little soul-searching! :goggleeyes:

talisman56

Quote from: Vigo on May 01, 2014, 07:47:06 AM

It took me a long while to get up the courage to rip up the bit of "Dunestone" I'm currently refurbishing, and that definitely didn't work properly, so I can sympathise with your situation at the moment...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Caz

Likewise here, if it doesn't work it just ends up aggravating you all the time, I had the same with the original Bampney station and environs part of my layout despite having laid all the track and made the buildings etc it just didn't look right and so completely re-worked it.  I still have one area (the terminus appoach) that needs reworking which is on my list of things to do.

Once you make the decision and start changing what troubles you, you feel so much better that you are finally doing something about it, take a deep breath and go for it I'd say, you won't regret it in the long term.   :thumbsup:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82%