GF shunter transfers...

Started by Zogbert Splod, November 23, 2015, 07:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zogbert Splod

I have got a GF loco,  I think it's called a class 04, it's an 0-6-0 shunter.  It has the BR logos and numbers as usual applied to it.  My problem is that I want it to be under private ownership.  How can I remove the transfers without damaging the paint job underneath?   If that's not possible I will consider a full repaint but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.  Another option would be to make a sticker with the owners name to cover the existing but I'd really like it to be plain with nothing there if possible...
Any ideas?.....  :confused2: :confused2:
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Les1952

Alternately a Faber-Castell Perfection erasing pencil available from your local art shop.

Les
(always in favour of looking at local businesses first)

Dr Al

Fibre pencils are a bit abrasive and will invariably take some of the base paint off too (which you can survive as long as you don't go through to the plastic).

I've found Farish printing can be gently removed with the back of a scalpel blade with no such damage to the underlying paint - I did so here if you scroll down to the Blue A1:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=27336.60

Assuming you have the scalpel it's also free....  :)

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

scruff

Have you tried a little bit of T-cut with a cocktail stick?

Cheers
Mark

Les1952

All four of the above work - it is a matter of working out which works best for YOU.

I would add that whichever you adopt, take the view that less is more.  Start gently and look very carefully at your progress.  Continue gently and take your time.  That way you are much less likely to rub away (or using Dr Al's method, scratch) the underlying paintwork.

Les

EtchedPixels

You could just leave them on, and perhaps stick a rectangular private logo over the top of it badly. Quite a few private locos still bore BR logos (especially green ones) for many many years sometimes with other writing over the top.

Many industrial operators seemed to have a strict policy against either washing or painting of locomotives 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 26, 2015, 06:59:50 PM
You could just leave them on, and perhaps stick a rectangular private logo over the top of it badly. Quite a few private locos still bore BR logos (especially green ones) for many many years sometimes with other writing over the top.

Many industrial operators seemed to have a strict policy against either washing or painting of locomotives 8)

Alan

That would fit the image that I have in my mind...  Thanks for the post.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations