First Generation EMUs

Started by Ed, November 08, 2023, 03:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

As there are currently wish list polls running regarding N gauge DMUs, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows why there appears to be a lack of first generation AC EMUs.

Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough, but there doesn't seem to have been any models of Class AM2 - AM10 (302 - 310) made by the larger manufacturers.

I believe a Class 305 was available from DC Kits, but I'm not sure they are still in production.

Was there just no demand for these older EMU's to make the larger manufacturers think a model was viable?

(I notice this also appeared to be the case in 4mm/00 gauge as well.)

Anybody any thoughts?

Ed

crewearpley40

Good point Ed. I have heard od or seen scratchbuilt models . Guess it maybe a number of factors including costs

@AndyRA I know has built

Plus Andy Stephney on Hatch End including the 501 units

Personally speaking , I'd love to see AM4 and Am10 / 12s as am not au fait or have the equipment or skills to go that route. Chris

I'd love please to hear from.nigel @nharding99

@Snowwolflair Dave who modelled the Glasgiw 303s

Newportnobby

There are subtle dimension differences between, for example, the AM4 and AM10 units but we're only talking 2-3mm in our scale. The AM10 has curved cab windows which seem to be a no-no for manufacturers, and for some reason modelling of the WCML 1960s onwards does not seem too popular, although that could be a 'chicken and egg' situation i.e. I don't model it 'cos there's no RTR stock.
I travelled hugely in such units in the 60s but if someone decided to make some I'd end up building another layout I won't finish :-[

Intercity

Electrics in general seem to have been of less interest than steam and diesel, it may be that manufacturers see more profit in the latter two.

Revolution have helped the Pantograph clan very well with the outstanding Pendolino and class 92s, maybe a little less so with the 320/1 with the reported issues (credit to RT though as they do listen and offer help/fixes, I'm sure it's a learning process), also the 313/4 in the pipeline.

Dapol have a decent 86, and soon to be added 87, Farish with the new 90, 319 and 350, hopefully it will show there is interest.

There are plenty of coaches to fit the Era you mention, it just misses classes 81 thru 85, and the AM series EMUs, I have an interest in the Mid 90s so a 304, 305 and 308 would certainly find a home.

Likewise the 3rd rail EMUs have been largely ignored (the OO modelers just got themselves a very nice looking 4BEP)

Ed

Within that range, I was thinking specifically AM2, AM5 and AM8s (class 302, 305 and 308) which were all used on Eastern region London suburban lines.

Everything does rather tend to be GWR/Western region.

Perhaps that's just the most popular and the manufacturers are fairly sure of sales volumes.

Ed

Newportnobby

Quote from: Ed on November 08, 2023, 03:42:00 PMWithin that range, I was thinking specifically AM2, AM5 and AM8s (class 302, 305 and 308) which were all used on Eastern region London suburban lines.

Never say never. The new RevolutioN Trains 64ft chassis could be used at a pinch and is spot on for the class 308 ;)

crewearpley40

I believe electra under Adam's ownership modelled the 310 with a flat window similar to the 312

I can see where your coming from mick, intercity and Ed. The 308 indeed utilise a 64ft chassis.

PaulCheffus

Hi

I built this 506 many years ago

It uses the BH Enterprises clear coach shells with scratchbuilt plasticard sides. The ends were created from 60 thou plasticard then filed to shape. It is powered by a modified TPM MU motorising unit.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Ed

crewearpley40

Stunning work Paul if modelling Manchester area units

Bob G

Quote from: PaulCheffus on November 08, 2023, 04:20:15 PMHi

It uses the BH Enterprises clear coach shells with scratchbuilt plasticard sides. The ends were created from 60 thou plasticard then filed to shape. It is powered by a modified TPM MU motorising unit.

Cheers

Paul

I managed to get a cab ride in one of these from Glossop Central to Piccadilly in 1975 (or 1976). Great view as we passed a host of 76s.

Strangely the whole feeling and ambience of that area was reproduced so well in League of Gentlemen!

Best
Bob

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on November 08, 2023, 10:23:44 PM
Quote from: PaulCheffus on November 08, 2023, 04:20:15 PMHi

Cheers

Paul

I managed to get a cab ride in one of these from Glossop Central to Piccadilly in 1975 (or 1976). Great view as we passed a host of 76s.

Strangely the whole feeling and ambience of that area was reproduced so well in League of Gentlemen!

Best
Bob

DON'T TOUCH THE THINGS!!!!

Bob G

The 309 Clacton Unit is still done by Silver Fox in OO. Nice to have a maroon EMU for once, instead of green. They used to belt through Stratford station in the 1970s, on their way to Liverpool Street like they were on speed. Really nice to see the curved window 309s pass alongside the 30s curved windows of Stratford station (before it was rebuilt).

309s are simple conversions of Mk 1 coaches IIRC, with B4 bogies.

Just a thought.

Bob

AndyRA

Where there's a will there's a way as they say. If I had waited for a lot of these early EMUs to appear in RTR form I would still be waiting to build my layout.

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

martyn

Quote from: Bob G on November 08, 2023, 10:32:59 PMThe 309 Clacton Unit is still done by Silver Fox in OO. Nice to have a maroon EMU for once, instead of green. They used to belt through Stratford station in the 1970s, on their way to Liverpool Street like they were on speed. Really nice to see the curved window 309s pass alongside the 30s curved windows of Stratford station (before it was rebuilt).

309s are simple conversions of Mk 1 coaches IIRC, with B4 bogies.

Just a thought.

Bob

That's about the one class of EMU I would buy as a most definite Rule 1. The originals in maroon with the curved ends looked superb, and performed just as well, rated at 100mph (but not much of the line could take it when they were introduced).

I think comparing with the 4CEPs there was a lot of similarities, though I've not actually compared them too closely.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations