Cycle racing

Started by Newportnobby, June 09, 2019, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Quote from: class37025 on June 13, 2019, 04:32:38 PM

perhaps cyclists should have to contribute, seeing as how they seem to get preference  >:D
They already do, just as much as other road users, in paying income tax.

Road Vehicle Excise Duty (ie car tax) is a pollution tax, not anything to do with funding roads.

guest311

Quote from: The Q on June 13, 2019, 05:44:51 PM
Quote from: zwilnik on June 13, 2019, 09:54:55 AM
Quote from: The Q on June 13, 2019, 09:10:08 AM
As for the Lycra mob, it really does annoy me that after a long campaign they built a million pound cycle path for them, near me, but do they use it NO they're on the roads. Similarly they invade the Norwich Distributer road (a 70mph Dual carriageway)when a fortune has been spent on cycle paths parallel to the NDR .
I would imagine you'd be quite annoyed using a pedestrian path only to be constantly buzzed by marathon runners blasting past you. Cycle paths are for cycling (ie normal people getting A-B on their bikes), whereas the lycra brigade are cycle racing (or at least trying to be). It would be anti-social of them to be using cycle paths at speed.

it's been interesting to see the difference in how cyclists are viewed here in Spain vs the UK. There's a *lot* of racing cyclists in this part of the country (plus lots of fun mountain roads) but despite drivers here being somewhat vague on other aspects of the whole 'how to drive safely' concept, they're pretty solid about rule of treating a cyclist as another car in terms of the width they give them when overtaking and not getting too close behind while waiting.
Round here you see every day the mamils in Lycra head down ,helmet on cycling to work ignoring the facilities provided for them.

or equally common round here, helmet hanging from handlebars.

perhaps that's why some are such t***s, brains still in helmets, not heads  :smiley-laughing:

Newportnobby

[gmod]We can do without singling out any particular section of humanity to vent spleens on, thank you. Whether cyclist, biker, motorist, lorry driver etc we all have to share the facilities we're given and due respect should be given to all. Yeah, I know. That just doesn't happen a lot of the time but, hey, there's good and bad in all walks of society so sadly we've got to live with it[/gmod]

RailGooner

I believe there is a national advisory* speed limit of 15 mph on cycle paths in the UK. Cyclists who wish to go faster are advised to use the main vehicular carriageway. Richmond Park does have enforceable speed limits for cycling.

*Advisory, so going faster is not an offence.

stevewalker

The problem is, on some roads, that they have specifically been narrowed to add cycle paths and so there is insufficient room for vehicles to pass cyclists that are on the road. That's not such a problem with a speedy cyclist or a relatively slow road, but it is with a slower cyclist or a faster road.

Bealman

We had an incident here near where I live recently where a young motorist yelled abuse at two cyclists on a shared road.

Bad move. They were off-duty policemen.

He was in court last week.

Anyway, the OP was about competitive road races, mainly the TdF, but seems to have morphed into something which is sort of off-topic.

Hopefully when the TdF begins, we will see some discussion about that, which I think was NewportNobby's intention in the first place.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Well a damage free day for Adam Yates, who retains his four second lead.

LASteve

Quote from: Bealman on June 13, 2019, 10:21:52 PM

Anyway, the OP was about competitive road races, mainly the TdF, but seems to have morphed into something which is sort of off-topic.

Hopefully when the TdF begins, we will see some discussion about that, which I think was NewportNobby's intention in the first place.

Sorry, Bealman. Maybe there should he a topic named "MOT" or "Morphed off Topic" which I think is a splendid term. You, Nobby and Tank can shift all the conversations over there.

It's like when you're in the bar and your topic disappears into the ether while it degrades into some argument about Liverpool FC, whether Oasis ripped off the Beatles, whether Steve Jobs was brilliant or a charlatan, and whose round it is.

I'm genuinely looking forward to the Tour, but with genuine sadness that Paul Sherwen will not be part of the hitherto excellent coverage.

Bealman

Yep, it's important to stick to the topic.... especially when it concerns whose round it is!  :beers:

Having said that, I'm guilty of morphing!

Back to cycling!  :thumbsup:

The Q

Going back on topic then, a couple of times a year they hold time trials on open roads near me, with the cyclists set off at intervals. but of course they rapidly bunch up.

It causes me great delight when I'm sticking to the speed limit in a near by village to find a bunch of them speeding down the slight slope behind me and getting stuck behind my landrover. (PS I don't go out looking for them).

They are of course breaking the law by"riding furiously" over the speed limit.

Bealman

[mod]By "getting back on topic," I meant discussing the road racing sport, as the thread is meant to be about. It is not the place for venting spleens about cyclists in everyday road conditions.[/mod]

Philip.

It gets worse for Chris Froome, reports now in that he has a neck fracture and will be in hospital for at least 6 weeks  :worried:

RailGooner

Adam Yates starts today's penultimate stage still wearing yellow. Today ends with a punishing climb at Pipay, which lasts for 19km with an average gradient of 6.9%. I expect to see Tejay Van Garderen (+6 secs) attacking on the climb.

Newportnobby

Purely my opinion but if Nairo Quintana doesn't do something soon I think he might need to consider retirement (I haven't seen yesterdays programme yet)

Philip.

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 15, 2019, 11:42:37 AM
Purely my opinion but if Nairo Quintana doesn't do something soon I think he might need to consider retirement (I haven't seen yesterdays programme yet)

I agree, promised a lot but has failed to kick on from his Giro win in 2014 and 2016 Vuelta victory, maybe a change of team may help?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations