Cycle racing

Started by Newportnobby, June 09, 2019, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

Maybe since he became a father he has other priorities?

PostModN66

Mick,

I have a suggestion...

When the TDF gets going, how about a daily explanation of who is doing well and not so well, and what the various teams may do the next day?

The reason for this is, although I am a practical cyclist (ride my bike quite a lot and have done big adventures across the Pyrenees and Alpine passes), I don't know Nibbyl's from my Quintanas.....and I find it hard to understand the technicalities of who is behind by so many seconds but is in a strong position because the next stage is a mountainous one, or a time trial, all that kind of stuff..

What do you think?

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

RailGooner

For me it's less a case of Quintana failing to deliver, and more a case of commentators/press over-hyping him. I think he's had more success than his abilities deserve.

joe cassidy

I think he does very well considering he probably has the shortest legs in cycling  :)

Best regards,

Joe (5' 6")

Newportnobby

Quote from: PostModN66 on June 15, 2019, 03:41:11 PM
Mick,

I have a suggestion...

When the TDF gets going, how about a daily explanation of who is doing well and not so well, and what the various teams may do the next day?

The reason for this is, although I am a practical cyclist (ride my bike quite a lot and have done big adventures across the Pyrenees and Alpine passes), I don't know Nibbyl's from my Quintanas.....and I find it hard to understand the technicalities of who is behind by so many seconds but is in a strong position because the next stage is a mountainous one, or a time trial, all that kind of stuff..

What do you think?

Happy to have a go at it, Jon, although I know not much more than you. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, they say, but as long as folks are happy to correct me when I'm wrong then I'll give it a bash.

Newportnobby

Just watched yesterday's Dauphiné and the conditions were appalling with torrential rain along with thunder & lightning (very, very frightening)
Descending the climbs must have have had the sphincters going 2p-5p.

On a separate note, huge congrats to Lizzie Deignan for winning the Women's Tour of the last week :claphappy:

cycletrak9

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 16, 2019, 05:45:01 PM

On a separate note, huge congrats to Lizzie Deignan for winning the Women's Tour of the last week :claphappy:

Seconded Nobbie - with all the understandable concern for Froomie her victory seem to have slipped under the radar.
I suspect there will have been a few pints of good Yorkshire ale supped in Otley over the weekend

RailGooner

Haven't watched yesterday's CdD highlights yet, nor today's. Don't know the final results yet so please use the Spolier button if you post any results or comments on same. :beers:

Really disappointed that neither Eurosport nor ITV4 have had any live coverage over the weekend! >:(

joe cassidy

Just watched yesterday's Dauphiné and the conditions were appalling with torrential rain along with thunder & lightning (very, very frightening)

Mick I know you like all kinds of rock music but I didn't know you were a fan of Gilbert O'Sullivan  :)

njee20

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 16, 2019, 03:18:07 AM
Mick,

I have a suggestion...

What do you think?

Happy to have a go at it, Jon, although I know not much more than you. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, they say, but as long as folks are happy to correct me when I'm wrong then I'll give it a bash.

Potentially happy to pick up that mantle; I know far more about bike racing than I do trains! Minor caveat that I start a new job on the 8th, so my presence on the forum may sharply drop off, I can hear the cheers from here.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on June 16, 2019, 10:42:36 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on June 16, 2019, 03:18:07 AM
Mick,

I have a suggestion...

What do you think?

Potentially happy to pick up that mantle; I know far more about bike racing than I do trains! Minor caveat that I start a new job on the 8th, so my presence on the forum may sharply drop off, I can hear the cheers from here.

As the TdF starts on the 6th and I'm here relatively frequently( :angel:) how about we both chip in on the tour? Good luck with the new job.

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 16, 2019, 09:11:07 PM

Mick I know you like all kinds of rock music but I didn't know you were a fan of Gilbert O'Sullivan  :)

I was thinking more along the lines of Queen or Thin Lizzy ackshully :)
Gilbert O'Sullivan was just a 1970s pop singer

joe cassidy

The first record I ever bought was "Himself" by Gilbert O'Sullivan.

I still listen to it.

He was a "singer/songwriter" rather than a pop singer.

RailGooner

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 17, 2019, 09:58:42 AM
The first record I ever bought was "Himself" by Gilbert O'Sullivan.

I still listen to it.

He was a "singer/songwriter" rather than a pop singer.

He had great hair Joe. Not too dissimilar to Ronald's! Would've hindered any career as a pro cycle racer though - to keep on topic :D

joe cassidy

When he started out he was marketed as an urchin from the back streets of Dublin and they made him appear on top of the pops wearing shorts with braces, an "8 piecer" cap, and a "pudding basin" haircut.

He then got re-launched with "the hair", shirt buttons undone etc.

He wrote some great songs and his voice was poignant with a slight Irish accent, a nice change from the fake American accents of the time (Suzi Quattro excepted).

Newportnobby

Be assured I didn't mean 'pop singer' to be derogatory. just to differentiate between rock/folk/soul singer etc.
I'll get me bike (in a feeble attempt to get back to the topic)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations