Dapol stand at Alexandra Palace

Started by jamespetts, March 24, 2019, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

Joel also promised me that the Chiltern Mainline coach set to go with the excellent class 68 are definately in the pipe line but then he did promise that at TINGS last year so that means I still have time to sell a few more locos to pay for them WHEN THEY FINALY DO ARRIVE .
Bob Tidbury

Karhedron

Quote from: bluedepot on March 26, 2019, 01:00:44 PM
who makes the 117 in oo?

i would buy one in n gauge anway so long as it was a decent model

Bachmann are producing one in 00. It is not out yet but the EPs look promising.

Bachmann have the CADs for the 00 version but Dapol have a tooled up chassis and drive unit that is correct for the 117. From what I recall, CAD work counts for a much smaller percentage of the R&D costs than tooling. Also you cannot simply press a button to covert a 00 CAD into an N gauge one. Based on that, Dapol probably have a better head-start than Bachmann if they were to chose to produce one.

However that is a big "if".

To be fair, once RevolutioN produce their class 128 Parcels car, they would be in just as good a position as Dapol to produce other DMUs based on the 64' chassis.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

acko22

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 26, 2019, 01:01:48 PM
Joel also promised me that the Chiltern Mainline coach set to go with the excellent class 68

From what I am lead to understand is they are doing the chiltern ones but to me it actually seems like an odd choice for the power door versions, I would have gone for the ones been used by Scotrail and GWR.
The Chiltern rakes have plug doors and the refurbished HST rakes have Pocket Doors of which there are more of!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Bob Tidbury

Ako22 Chiltern Railways do have just one set without the new style doors and that is the one Dapol said they will do though Joel said one coach will have to be a compromise ,I'm no expert on coaches so just going by what Joel told me last year at T I N G S.
Bob Tidbury

Newportnobby

Quote from: Karhedron on March 26, 2019, 01:08:10 PM
Bachmann are producing one in 00. It is not out yet but the EPs look promising.

I'm no fan of 00 stuff but, hells teeth, that looks good :heart2:

bluedepot

cheers for 117 cad karhedron - it looks excellent

well the 3 way fight is well and truly on then... dapol, farish or revolution... who will go for the most requested 1st gen dmu!

tim

crewearpley40

i remembered seeing a class 117 at paddington, but  did  the  class 115s bob ( tidbury will know ) work out of marylebone ?

could be an interesting project

Roy L S

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 26, 2019, 10:31:43 PM
i remembered seeing a class 117 at paddington, butdidtheclass 115s bob ( tidbury will know ) work out of marylebone ?

I can answer that one as I went to school on one every day. Yes the 115s worked out of Marylebone in 4 car sets.

Roy

crewearpley40

davidinyork

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 26, 2019, 01:36:13 PM
Ako22 Chiltern Railways do have just one set without the new style doors and that is the one Dapol said they will do though Joel said one coach will have to be a compromise ,I'm no expert on coaches so just going by what Joel told me last year at T I N G S.
Bob Tidbury

I can't see which one would have to be a compromise as they are all just standard open coaches in that set.

If they were doing the other sets pre-power doors then the buffet would need to be a compromise (as the Wrexham & Shropshire one was) because the buffets were heavily modified for Wrexham & Shropshire and there are no others like them.

However, the Chiltern sets pre-power-doors wouldn't be the right timeframe for the 68s as they didn't arrive until afterwards.

Given that there are only four sets with the plug doors, in one livery, and very unlikely to be any more now, I can't see that it would be viable for any manufacturer to make them. The sliding door conversions for HSTs (although some of the carriages are converted from loco-hauled) are a different matter though - by the time the project is finished as currently planned, there will be a lot of them and three liveries. Hornby are producing these in OO, so let's hope that Dapol do likewise in N.

AdrianC

Aren't some of the coaches FOs fitted out with 2+2 seating and not renumbered?

Perhaps the compromise would actually be the DVT, because they've all been modified I think and have grills on the side.
If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. It it doesn't move and should, WD40...

davidinyork

Quote from: AdrianC on March 28, 2019, 09:38:46 AM
Aren't some of the coaches FOs fitted out with 2+2 seating and not renumbered?

Perhaps the compromise would actually be the DVT, because they've all been modified I think and have grills on the side.

True, the DVT would need to be a compromise.

There are two still numbered as FOs, but so far as modelling them are concerned they are just standard TSOs - Mk3s have identical bodyshells for both classes (unlike Mk2s), and it's only the interiors which are different. There are plenty of Mk3s of both loco-hauled and HST variants which have been changed from one class to the other, but normally they get renumbered.

njee20

Yes, the DVT doesn't have the grills on the side. The buffet is wrong (as it is for most liveries, they were always up front about that), there's the "business zone" coach too isn't there? Or is that the same one...?

At least some of them are mk3a's too, so the roof vents are wrong among other differences.

All pretty small, I think we can forgive Dapol for not tooling every minor detail. I just wish they'd get the bloody liveries right, and if not right at least consistently wrong, rather than right on some coaches and wrong on others!

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on March 28, 2019, 09:53:43 AM
Yes, the DVT doesn't have the grills on the side. The buffet is wrong (as it is for most liveries, they were always up front about that), there's the "business zone" coach too isn't there? Or is that the same one...?

At least some of them are mk3a's too, so the roof vents are wrong among other differences.

All pretty small, I think we can forgive Dapol for not tooling every minor detail. I just wish they'd get the bloody liveries right, and if not right at least consistently wrong, rather than right on some coaches and wrong on others!

There isn't a buffet / business zone (it is the same coach) in the slam door set.

All of the Chiltern Mk3s are Mk3as (apart from one buffet wich is ex-HST), but Dapol have never done the correct roof detail for Mk3as so it can be taken as read that that won't be correct.

njee20

Isn't this a slam door buffet/business zone coach...?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations