Recent air traffic issues...

Started by emjaybee, September 06, 2023, 01:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

News out today.

Apparently the recent incident which caused UK Air traffic (Nats) to enter default safety mode was caused by two identically named way points outside of UK airspace being entered into an automated system.

Essentially, two identically named items prevented people from travelling.

Apparently, from this point on it's being referred to as the 'Bob Gregory' syndrome.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bob G

Quote from: emjaybee on September 06, 2023, 01:38:11 PMNews out today.

Apparently the recent incident which caused UK Air traffic (Nats) to enter default safety mode was caused by two identically named way points outside of UK airspace being entered into an automated system.

Apparently, from this point on it's being referred to as the 'Bob Gregory' syndrome.

Fact Checker: a totally different situation grounded me the night before. We had a plane but not enough crew. The following day Jet2 bussed some new crew in and we took off about 15 minutes before the meltdown started. Now if we had been delayed a few minutes and were caught up in the chaos that followed, that really would have been worthy of Bob Gregory syndrome! :no:

This is why it is not a good idea to clone me. Imagine two identical Gregory's meeting. It would be like
Matter and antimatter colliding.
:*(

emjaybee

Quote from: Bob G on September 06, 2023, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on September 06, 2023, 01:38:11 PMNews out today.

Fact Checker: a totally different situation grounded me the night before. We had a plane but not enough crew. The following day Jet2 bussed some new crew in and we took off about 15 minutes before the meltdown started. Now if we had been delayed a few minutes and were caught up in the chaos that followed, that really would have been worthy of Bob Gregory syndrome! :no:

This is why it is not a good idea to clone me. Imagine two identical Gregory's meeting. It would be like
Matter and antimatter colliding.
:*(

Apparently even cruise ships can only cope with one...
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

stevewalker

I heard an interview a while ago, where it was mentioned that the actor Brian Cox and the physicist Brian Cox were scheduled to appear on the same show. When they arrived the night before, they found that there was only one hotel room booked, as the hotel's system couldn't cope with two identically named bookings.

They mustn't get too many John Smiths there!

Bob G

After a 32 hour flight to Melbourne we arrived at the hotel to find that another couple also called Gregory had nabbed our room and we didn't have a room (for a while). We followed them around on the cruise and we were always "the wrong Gregorys".

I'm not telling anyone where I'm staying in Leamington!!

Bob

zwilnik

Bob G

AdeV

Quote from: Bob G on September 06, 2023, 08:00:25 PMNooooooooooo

Bad spelling!

Well, it is the Grauniad... it's famous for bad speling!
Cheers!
Ade

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
95% 
July Donations