EU To UK Plug Convertor - Help Wanted

Started by dannyboy, July 12, 2023, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I have bought a new pond filter and pump. Both items are fitted with a 2 round pin plug which has an earth connector. I have done some searching on t'internet and there seems to be various types of Euro plug adaptors, designated with different letters of the alphabet. There are loads of adaptors available, but I am struggling to work out just which type I require. The plugs on the filter and pump have the two round pins, at 'East' and 'West', with a metal clad hole at 'North' and a small piece of metal at 'South'. Both 'North' and 'South' are flush with the plug casing. So the question to any electricians reading this is, what adaptor do I require? I do realise that I could cut the original plug off and fit a UK plug, but this would of course invalidate the warranty. Any help would be appreciated.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

dannyboy

Thanks for that @emjaybee but they are only two pins and do not have an earth.  :thumbsup: (I have a few of them kicking about).
David.

zwilnik

The shaver adaptor ones are actually slightly smaller distance between the pins than Euro 2 pin plugs (although can be forced ;) ). But also only 2 pin rather than the 3 pin one Dannyboy's describing.

Something like this should do the trick...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/European-Adaptor-Adapter-Travel-Germany/dp/B0BLH9QXD5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=23EK0JJSPXFUT&keywords=euro+3+pin+to+uk&qid=1689193947&sprefix=euro+3+pin+to+uk%2Caps%2C401&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

The difference between Euro 3 pin earthed plugs and UK ones is that generally they can go in either way up as usually there's an earth pin hole at the top and bottom of the socket.

dannyboy

That is one type I looked at @zwilnik . Is the the bit of 'brass' seen at 'North' and 'South' the earth connector?
David.

emjaybee

Quote from: dannyboy on July 12, 2023, 09:32:24 PM
Thanks for that @emjaybee but they are only two pins and do not have an earth.  :thumbsup: (I have a few of them kicking about).

Oops, I really should read posts thoroughly rather than scan reading.

Cut the plug off, rewire.

I'm rather surprised it's not double insulated.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

joe cassidy

You should be able to find an adaptor next time you go shopping in Eniskellin ?

zwilnik

Quote from: dannyboy on July 12, 2023, 09:40:42 PM
That is one type I looked at @zwilnik . Is the the bit of 'brass' seen at 'North' and 'South' the earth connector?

That's right @dannyboy, the plug can be inserted either way up. the springy bits connect with earth contacts on either side of the plug.

pics of EU sockets and plug for reference..

stevewalker

That socket strip is a type F, as Germany uses. The type without the strips and with an earth pin is a type E, as France uses. They used to each use separate matching plugs (strips on the German one and a hole on the French one), but the type F was revised to become a universal plug, with both strips and hole, allowing them to be used in both type E and type F sockets.

dannyboy

Thanks to all who have replied, it is appreciated.
David.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
95% 
July Donations