L&Y PUG 0-4-0 ST

Started by Chris smith, May 15, 2023, 08:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris smith

Hi Gang. My question has most likely cropped up before but can't find a thread on here.  I'd really like to have an N gauge model of a L&Y Pug loco.  I'd imagine that it is not an easy model to produce due to the small size.  However, has anyone ever come across a kit or anyone that has made one from scratch.  I made one up many years ago when I was with the 3MM society, wonderful little kit. If anyone has any information, I'd be most interested.  Regards, Chris.

BramptonBranch

There's a 3d print on Shapeways, 2A Rail to fit a Tsugwa chassis.

Andy
You can never have to many Warships!

Roy L S

Quote from: BramptonBranch on May 15, 2023, 09:29:06 PM
There's a 3d print on Shapeways, 2A Rail to fit a Tsugwa chassis.

Andy

I have one that is unfinished, I will dig it out and take a pic tomorrow.

Roy L S

Here it is, still on the "to do" list to finish it, I am thinking about fitting a DCC micro-decoder and match truck for extra pickup  :hmmm:.....

Roy

Chris smith

Hi, thanks for the replies, absolutely brilliant. Who printed out the body?  it looks really good.  Wish I had a 3d printer. 
Regards, Chris.

zwilnik

Quote from: Chris smith on May 16, 2023, 09:31:54 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies, absolutely brilliant. Who printed out the body?  it looks really good.  Wish I had a 3d printer. 
Regards, Chris.

Shapeways actually print the model for you and deliver it (they're not a 3D model library like Thingiverse). They're kind of pricey but a very handy option if you don't want to go into the expense and mess of 3D printing yourself.

Chris smith

Hi, I have been pondering about the supplier which you have kindly mentioned, and I was quite gobsmacked with the cost to post it.  By all accounts the printing house is in the Netherlands but the account is New York based, hence the over the top cost of getting anything.   The quality doesn't look great despite there being levels of finish.  What is your opinion on the finish and costs all in? I have purchased the chassis unit but not confident about purchasing the printed body.
Has anyone else found an alternative supplier or is there anyone else that will supply just the 3D file at a sensible cost?  By all accounts, the method of printing the Pug from the supplier stated is not best practice hence the evidence of "Layer" marks etc.  What do others think?  Regards, Chris.

Coyote

Would the Pug run reliably? The body would only weigh a few grams, is there space inside to add enough lead etc to get the wheels to get reliable contact with the rails.

Would be an interesting addition to a layout and easy to hide in a siding waiting to shunt a few wagons around.

Dave
Visit Mossdale's YouTube channel for a view of a 1920's LMS railway in North Yorkshire or Mossdale Road for some shunting

https://youtube.com/@MossdaleNGaugeRailway

Black Sheep

Quote from: Coyote on August 02, 2023, 03:35:28 PMWould the Pug run reliably? The body would only weigh a few grams, is there space inside to add enough lead etc to get the wheels to get reliable contact with the rails.

Would be an interesting addition to a layout and easy to hide in a siding waiting to shunt a few wagons around.

Dave

The boiler is hollow and there is some space behind the motor where a very small decoder could fit allowing a lot of weight to be added.

It's technically a 5v chassis and it does run pretty well even without additional weight, it can push up to 5 Peco wagons, with added weight it can shunt more.

With regards finish, a bit grainy with the lines of print showing a little, but a spritz of primer, a buff with scotchbrite and another spritz and paint and you'll hardly notice - helped by it should be satin or matte black livery-wise
Black Sheep's workbench, where models go to be made grubby or be taken apart: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57548.0

Milliedale-on-Sea, 1940's seaside splendour, if it ever gets finished! https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35646.0

Family layout project, Billund in L-9 scale :)  https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=59467

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
95% 
July Donations