The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Globibahn

Hi all,

It's been a crazy month! My flat is nearly emptied out, tennants moving in next weekend.

It turned out I had to do a full bells and whistles business plan (for my self employed yoga business), which I will need to get my residency, that's taken a huge amount of time to prepare.

The fourth wave in Germany has also been a highly unwelcome addition to my plans!

Sadly trains have taken a real back set - for the time being.

Still aiming to go before Xmas. Hopefully can sell my vehicle soon too.

mika

#31
Sounds like exciting times, Matt.

Quote from: Globibahn on December 05, 2021, 09:50:45 AM
The fourth wave in Germany has also been a highly unwelcome addition to my plans!

True, not the best of times to come over here... :-\ Lots of things can't be done ATM. No Christmas markets, for example...

Hope, your plans work out!

All the best,
Michael :beers:

Globibahn

Quote from: mika on December 05, 2021, 08:07:16 PM

True, not the best of times to come over here... :-\ Lots of things can't be done ATM. No Christmas markets, for example...


Thanks Mika,

Let's hope our lives can return to normal as soon as possible!

mika

Quote from: Globibahn on December 05, 2021, 08:24:31 PM
Let's hope our lives can return to normal as soon as possible!

So true...

Gordon

Quote from: mika on December 05, 2021, 08:07:16 PM


True, not the best of times to come over here... :-\ Lots of things can't be done ATM. No Christmas markets, for example...

Hope, your plans work out!

All the best,
Michael :beers:

Yes, ironic that I could get a Bratwurst and a beer at European wooden chalet in the Christmas market in Kingston upon Thames yesterday, and it was suitably chilly too!
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Globibahn

This is going well so far!  :-[

I've sold my vehicle, the new tennants are happily in the flat. I am all set to go! the only thing is that now I can't for the time being.  :'(

Globibahn

#36
So far this continental rail travel thread is about the least interesting of its kind ever to exist!

I have now been living at mum's here in Blighty for 3 months, while I wait for the restrictions in Saxony to ease up.

It is not uncomfortable - however I have not had room to do any model making (it's just a small house and I only have my suitcase with me). The only creative outlet I have had is doing some watercolours of local scenes here in Bucks (see below). I may have a go at doing some train pictures in this style.

My yoga teacher business plan is completed and printed, that took me a long time!

It looks like beginning of March I may finally make my trip!!!  :-[










Globibahn

I'm now looking at actually travelling next week or soon after. :)

As mentioned before, I am fully boosted. Travel via Belgium still seems like a faf with tests and whatnot.

Am I right in thinking travel via France has no restricitons?

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/covid-19-international-travel#from4a

Globibahn

So some progress at last - I have booked my journey for this coming week.

Day 1 - local train to London. Overnight stay at hostel in St Pancras
Day 2 - morning Eurostar to Brussels. Change for ICE to Frankfurt. Overnight stay at hostel in Frankfurt.
Day 3 - ICE Frankfurt - Dresden - champagne bottles at the ready!! ;D

It's about 660 miles in all. Plans to take a Thalys were rejected as the timetabling just didn't fit my plans. Oh well, next time! :-[

mika

Good to hear that it's finally going to take shape.

We made the journey by train three years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We went via St Pancras, Brussels, Cologne, and Berlin.

Have a good and safe journey!
Best,
Michael

Globibahn

Quote from: mika on March 06, 2022, 09:28:20 AM
Good to hear that it's finally going to take shape.

We made the journey by train three years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We went via St Pancras, Brussels, Cologne, and Berlin.

Have a good and safe journey!
Best,
Michael

Thank you Michael, it has been a long time coming. Great that you also did a similar route!

I would have gone by night train, if there had been a logical East to West route that did not end up in Vienna. Pity such a thing does not exist (yet)! So high speed (-ish) it is! Although I expect the ICE from Frankfurt to Dresen probably travels along rack and pinion/ regional meter gauge lines or tramways  :D as there is no clear HS connection that way.

mika

The Frankfurt-Dresden ICE will probably be routed via the HS line between Erfurt and Leipzig. At up to 300km/h (depending on type of ICE) this is quite impressive.
Here is part of the route, only the other way round ;)

railsquid

1991, to Berlin:

- early morning BR from Birmingham New Street to London Euston
- tube to London Victoria (or was it Waterloo?)
- electrically-powered rake of self-propelled Mk1-ish carriages to a station Dover, from which I could walk almost directly onto a ferry, or so it seemed (I think that station no longer exists?); on the way I was bemused to pass a station called "Bat and Ball", and it was not until the advent of the internet that I could finally persuade myself I wasn't imagining things)
- ferry to Ostende, where I was delighted to spy an actual proper tram
- train via Brussels and Aachen to Cologne, where I luckily realised I needed to change trains because I had failed to understand the timetable and had mistaken the presence of a Kurswagen going from Ostende through to Berlin with the whole train going there
- overnight DR D-Zug from Cologne to Berlin; I remember waking in the early morning with no idea where the train was, fortunately I had a Walkman knockoff with build-in radio and happened upon "Antenne Brandenburg" so deduced I was probably not on the way to Warsaw
- got off at Bhf Zoo and with the aid initially of information contained in a "Rough Guide" found accomodation and work

Globibahn

Quote from: railsquid on March 06, 2022, 02:05:37 PM
1991, to Berlin:

- early morning BR from Birmingham New Street to London Euston
- tube to London Victoria (or was it Waterloo?)
- electrically-powered rake of self-propelled Mk1-ish carriages to a station Dover, from which I could walk almost directly onto a ferry, or so it seemed (I think that station no longer exists?); on the way I was bemused to pass a station called "Bat and Ball", and it was not until the advent of the internet that I could finally persuade myself I wasn't imagining things)
- ferry to Ostende, where I was delighted to spy an actual proper tram
- train via Brussels and Aachen to Cologne, where I luckily realised I needed to change trains because I had failed to understand the timetable and had mistaken the presence of a Kurswagen going from Ostende through to Berlin with the whole train going there
- overnight DR D-Zug from Cologne to Berlin; I remember waking in the early morning with no idea where the train was, fortunately I had a Walkman knockoff with build-in radio and happened upon "Antenne Brandenburg" so deduced I was probably not on the way to Warsaw
- got off at Bhf Zoo and with the aid initially of information contained in a "Rough Guide" found accomodation and work

I'm going to be hard pushed to beat this as a journey experience :smiley-laughing:. I will keep you posted of course!

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Globibahn on March 06, 2022, 10:47:36 AM
I would have gone by night train

I like the idea of night trains, but I hate the thought of missing all the views from the window as you travel through the night.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £12.34
Below Goal: £87.66
Site Currency: GBP
 12%
March Donations