A question for show organisers

Started by Newportnobby, July 21, 2024, 10:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Dear Marge Proops,

I'm looking forward to our annual Model Railway Show, but with some trepidation. I've volunteered to do what I can for 4 hours each on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday on the basis I can't be on my feet for more than ½ an hour unless someone wants to take me to hospital. I am able, in a very basic fashion, to help out running the club layout (at least in the main I'll be seated) but only on the basis any stock I take goes there with me and comes back with me. Having seen how some treat their stock there's no way I want them running mine and definitely wouldn't trust them with a Dapol loco with cardan shaft drive.

Friday I can help where possible in setting up. Other than that, I'm happy to be put where needed e.g. on the layout, on the door, on the second hand stall etc. as long as I'm not around kids whose parents don't control them, or murder may ensue.

However, there seems to be no sort of control. For instance, there's no rota for layout operators. It seems to me we'll get it set up on the Friday but no one seems to know who'll be running it and when. In fact, I think visiting layouts have more control than we do as at least they know who has to do what.

Am I expecting too much and giving too little? The question is aimed at anyone who has organised shows e.g. @Chris Morris @PLD  to name but two

Southerngooner

Hi Mick

Have you expressed your concerns about the way stock is handled to your fellow club members? I know exactly how you feel, but some people don't understand the results of their actions until you confront them with the problems. This would also extend to the club itself. If you don't know, or don't like, what is going on, and you're a member, then that's not a good situation. There could be other members in the same boat, but if nobody speaks out then nothing changes. Again, have you expressed your concerns and maybe offered to help with organising in advance, rather than having to get involved on the day when standing could be an issue for you?

I have seen all of these issues before, and are why I prefer to not get involved with a club. I stick to helping with James Street, where we have found a good reliable team who treat our models well, and each other with respect. I'm involved with our local Mens Shed where there is a good supportive culture and things go really well, so it can be done.

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Newportnobby

I'm a relative newbie to the club and everyone else seems to know what is expected of them as they are experienced in doing the show. I have asked in a roundabout manner to avoid upsetting anyone and basically been told 'he doesn't like people questioning the way the show is run as it's his 'baby''
I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get some answers. After all, I'm volunteering so shouldn't be called out for asking

port perran

I guess that can be a problem.
Our, admittedly small, shows usually have a club layout in attendance but people tend to use their own stock when they are actually operating the layout themselves.

One other point to bear in mind is that often people bring way too much stock.
I try to only take what I'll actually use. And don't forget that the more stock taken increases the value and hence pushes up insurance costs.

Probably not much help but just a couple of thoughts.

Martin
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Newportnobby

That's well worth noting, Martin.
The club layout has 3 tracks each way in the fiddle yard and each loop is split into 6 sections so anything can be run from a full length freight to 6 x 2 car DMUs. I'm only just getting used to maybe having 3 smallish trains in one loop and, as one runs out, by flicking switches the other 2 move up but I'm really at basic learning stage on that :dunce:
The layout will take up to 4 operators - 2 x main lines, branch line and quarry line. If everyone took enough stock to keep something moving it would be chaotic behind the scenes.
I want to feel I'm contributing and not complicating

PLD

In general, a lot will depend on the size of the show and the size of the club i.e. number of people available...

Each Show Manger will have their own style, but do need to be given a good deal of authority and allowed some freedom to do things their way, just to get things done - to an extent it is 'their baby' (rule by committee slows things down or worse results in indecision or conflicting direction)

Having said that, they will need the help and support of others and as a volunteer you do deserve to have at least a rough idea of what is being asked of you. We certainly would have a roster drawn up for key tasks in the show during opening hours - admission desk, exhibitor tea-room, any other specific positions that need to be manned, general stewards. We try to work on the basis of 1-hour shifts to keep it simple and memorable (ideally 1-hour-on / 1-hour-off / hour-on-something-else / hour-off etc)
In our case, we have a dedicated Club Shop manager who will nominate two or three staff to assist and pretty much leave that small team to get on with it, so that is outside the main roster.

During set-up, there is a lot to juggle, so individuals may be delegated specific tasks, but generally all pitch in with whatever is needed.

I wouldn't expect the show manager to get directly involved in the staffing of a club layout - he's enough to do, so leave it to whoever would organise staffing for an 'away fixture'... Similarly, Care (lack-of) for stock I would again expect to be a matter for whoever looks after the layout and not a matter specific to the show/Show Manager, but if it's a wider problem it may be one to take up with the committee afterwards.
If the regular operators also have other roles in the show, they may not be able to dedicate fully to it, but that opens an opportunity for others to have a 'trial' without committing to a full weekend away.

Newportnobby

Thanks, Paul.
Tonight I have volunteered to help collect the club layout from the clubrooms Friday a.m. and take it to the venue. Then a quick trip back to the clubrooms for a second run then help set up the layout.
I've informed everyone any stock I take arrives and leaves with me and only I will operate my stock. I'm only taking diesel locos and they have no traction tyres so should be OK just in case I get called away.

Bob Tidbury

My only question to show managers is can they please state what gauge the layouts are in the adverts and on line .

Roy L S

Regardless of size (and that has varied from a small 8 layout show to getting on for 30), over the many years our Club has organised shows we have always had a rota that is distributed to members (and any stewards/volunteers from other clubs). This shows who is doing what tasks during the day and at what time (it is divided into time slots), when they are "spare" and at what time they go for lunch.

On those occasions a Club layout is taken an additional line is created on the rota so those allocated to crew it know when. Frankly I find it inconceivable that a show could run smoothly without a shared rota of some kind  :hmmm:

In terms of stock, there is always a risk and it is a huge leap of faith to trust someone with your models, especially bespoke sound fitted ones costing well over £300. For this reason, unless I know who I will be crewing with and they are experienced trusted operators I tend to leave the "expensive" favourite models at home and will take what I consider my second "string" locos that I am not (quite) so precious about. Bottom line is that even amongst the most trusted operators accidents can still happen and the only way to 100% protect your locos and stock is not to take them. I would therefore agree with only taking what you will likely use, nothing that is of special value to you (monetary or otherwise) and when you leave, take your stock off, do not feel under any pressure to leave it with others.

Roy

Railwaygun

It's helpful to put a link in the Shows section ( with date & postcode in the header! ) and a reference to how many N gauge layouts present

Also a free entry  on UKmodelshops.co.uk will help potential visitors!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £75.00