Model Railway Shops in Blackpool / Fleetwood area

Started by lionwing, September 15, 2013, 09:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionwing

As part the last family holiday of the year we will all be spending the weekend in the Blackpool / Fleetwood area towards the end of the month.

As part of "Dad's" plan for the weekend there will be a visit to a railway model shop however I lack the local knowledge  of which one to visit and oddly google isn't turning much up other than a generic "toy shop".

So if anyone know's a of a decent shop in the area could they point me in the right direction please?

Thank you.

Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Sprintex

Maybe there isn't one? Model shops are few and far between these days! :no:

Paul

spurno

I've just ordered something online from going loco and the service was superb.Would be nice to know what you think of the shop.Usual disclaimer,nothing to do with them other than as a satisfied customer.
Born beside the mighty GWR.

Regards

alan

Graham Boak

Also Tower Models?  There is also an excellent model shop in Preston, Transport Models, if you can extend your travel that far.

lionwing

Thanks for the pointers!

All noted with at least a visit to one planned for the Saturday!
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

AC

Despite the name, Toys 2 Save at Cleveleys do alot of models and not so many toys. Mostly OO stuff usually, but the last time I was there (May time I think it would have been), they'd got some N gauge in a cabinet.

Here's the link to their website, but it isn't much more than an advert (no online store at the moment) http://www.toys2save.com/
My NGF Layout Thread: Stanley Yard; a Model Railway in a Toolbox
My NGF Workbench Thread: AC's Occasional Modelling Thread

My Modelling Blog (Multiple Scales): AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
My Old Website: AC's Stuff

moogle

Well I lived in Blackpool for a year and your best bet is Going Loco in St Annes.
Its a small shop but has a good selection of goodies, including a few secondhand bits.

There was also Red Bank Models in Central Drive but they didn't do a lot of railway stuff.
Great for R/C though.

Tower Models don't do any N gauge.
In fact they mainly do their r-t-r brass O gauge stuff and thats about it!

Toys to Save, not much N as already said but they are thankfully in Cleveleys now and not by that pink windmill in the middle of nowhere anymore.

There was a 2nd hand model shop along Central Drive too, that might be Model Exchange, can't remember.
And of course there's now the Tram Shop on North Pier!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Farmer chap

Transport models in Preston , good for n gauge and easy parking,

Ian.

PLD

While you are there, you may also like to visit Brooks Collectables on Waterloo Road, not so much for buying - they mostly stock diecast and have very little railway in any scale, but the museum upstairs is worth a visit and has some railways among other toys, models and games...

My knowledge of those mentioned above:

Tower Models - Not the best reputation for Customer service and freindliness.

Toys-2-Save - done expect 'to save' much... A smart and well stocked shop but top dollar pricing. Do have a small selection of Farish and Continental N and sometimes have some second hand (last time I was there they had a Farish Poole 101 DMU marked up at the same price as a brand-new new model version from Hattons!)

Going Loco - not visited the shop but seen and bought from them at exhibitions - reasonable pricing from what I recall.

Top-Slots - I thought was primarily a wholesaler? very limited opening times given on their website...

Newportnobby

If you have a squint at the forum calendar you'll also see there are exhibitions on in the area but, beware, you may encounter me at them :angel:

AndyGif

Quote from: PLD on September 15, 2013, 10:55:49 PM

Tower Models - Not the best reputation for Customer service and freindliness.

had the misfortune to bother to find this place whilst on holiday in 2007.
Had no N that I could see  mainly OO and up.
Its fair trek off from the seafront.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Newportnobby

If you visit Transport Models in Preston (found down by the docks) they have a good selection of 2nd hand coaches/wagons in a cabinet at the far left hand corner of the shop and occasionally a 2nd hand loco or 2. If buying new, their prices seem high but when you imagine removal of any postage costs they are actually not bad in the main.
However, the 2 lads normally behind the counter are not known locally as the "Chuckle Brothers" for nothing, and we are being ironic ;) They do stock a lot of N gauge, a lot of kits, paints, scenic stuff etc - and they have a small N gauge test track :thumbsup:

scotsoft

Quote from: newportnobby on September 16, 2013, 10:21:21 AM
If you visit Transport Models in Preston (found down by the docks)

:hmmm: If you found them down by the docks, were you there for an alternative purpose I ponder  :hmmm:  ;)  ;)

Newportnobby

Quote from: scotsoft on September 16, 2013, 11:34:02 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on September 16, 2013, 10:21:21 AM
If you visit Transport Models in Preston (found down by the docks)

:hmmm: If you found them down by the docks, were you there for an alternative purpose I ponder  :hmmm:  ;)  ;)

Hello Sailor :-*............................or for the French among us............
Bonjour, matelot :-*

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations